Join in on our classic gaming club!
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro June 2021 - Too Rich For My Blood

by stickem Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:14 pm

Put in a couple hours on Magic Knight Rayearth. I'm just past the spider boss. I kinda got bored with all the dialogue up until now, and said scew it that's all for now. I just want to play the game and skip all the talking lol. I guess I have no patience for these types of games anymore. Beautiful looking game, but basically a dumbed down zelda or beyond oasis. One thing I dont like is the amulets you can't see you're supposed to find. I'm not walking around everywhere pushing the a button constantly.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:15 pm

Don't worry about the amulets; the only reward worth a damn is the one that lets you exit a dungeon, and that's only relevant in maybe one or two spots.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:05 pm

MrPopo wrote:Don't worry about the amulets; the only reward worth a damn is the one that lets you exit a dungeon, and that's only relevant in maybe one or two spots.

I figured that. Seems like a non linear game where you just have to go to point a to b to progress the story and there's no side quests or reason to explore a dungeon to find hidden items. This would be bottom of the barrel if it was a ps1 acton/rpg.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:49 am

I put a bit of time into Little Ralph's Big Adventure on PSN yesterday (it's one of the handful of super-rare PS1 games that are in the Japanese store's PS1 Classics section), and it's just too hard for me to warrant beating, I think. It's a really solidly put together game, but it has an annoying overabundance of areas where you will likely either die or miss powerups because you didn't know what was coming. It's something I dislike in Sonic, and I dislike it here too. Combine that with a pretty tough overall difficulty from the word "go" and a Ghosts N' Goblins-style "two hits and you're dead!" health system and this one is a bit too much for me even with its generous continues ^^;

Another game on there I actually played through all of yesterday was Kessoku Tenshi (High Speed Angel), and that game kicks ass! Super fun, silly 90's anime style, just-right difficulty, and not too long but also good replayability because of the high scores and multiple characters (with a story for each of them). That's one I'll write more about in detail in the Games Beaten thread, but it's one I'm so so happy I decided to pick up and play for this TR :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:44 pm

at the tree of life dungeon on Magic Knight. Guess i didn't attack the bosses the right way and died. I saved before the boss but apparently can't restart from there and have to do the whole dungeon over, which is frustrating, so I turned it off for now. I didn't feel like doing the "maze" over again, I hated it the first time. As far as action/rpg's go, shining wisdom buries this. just a shallow game with lousy attack and hit detection. Usually I get sucked in on this genre, but it's a chore to keep playing this.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:29 pm

Umi best girl
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:42 pm

Tell us something we don't know Bone.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:18 pm

stickem wrote:at the tree of life dungeon on Magic Knight. Guess i didn't attack the bosses the right way and died. I saved before the boss but apparently can't restart from there and have to do the whole dungeon over, which is frustrating, so I turned it off for now. I didn't feel like doing the "maze" over again, I hated it the first time. As far as action/rpg's go, shining wisdom buries this. just a shallow game with lousy attack and hit detection. Usually I get sucked in on this genre, but it's a chore to keep playing this.

Appreciate your insight on MKR in comparison to Shining Wisdom. I'm a big fan of the Shining series but Shining Wisdom is one of the only NA released games I don't own and haven't played yet. I've been curious about it for a while.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:04 pm

It's far from perfect also, but a more traditional "poor man" zelda type action/rpg and nothing like the other shining games. You have to get used to the bad hit detection and sword, which is about as frustrating as Umi to me. It's alot more challenging game than MKR, which was go to point A to point B in empty dungeons with no side quests or any exploration. MKR is a prettier game as shining wisdom looks like it was made for the genesis.

At the lake village on Magic Knight Rayearth
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:58 pm

Played around another four hours of Chrono Trigger this evening. My play session from Wednesday left off in the Terra Cave at the boss fight with the Mud Imp and the two beasts, one ice and one fire. On my first try against that boss I lost the battle, so I wanted to grind a bit to get my characters up a few levels.

Fought the beasts in the cave for a while and grinded from level 28 to 31. On my second attempt I beat the boss then went through Mt. Woe and beat the Giga Gaia boss at the end of this area. After defeating Giga Gaia I took a break. Should be able to get back to it tomorrow night!
Return to Together Retro