Join in on our classic gaming club!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro June 2021 - Too Rich For My Blood

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:14 am

I started up Avenging Spirit today! According to pricecharting.com, it is the fifth most valuable GameBoy game, and loose copies, when they come up for auction, sell for an amount between $175 and $200. I don’t actually own a physical copy of this game, but a digital copy is readily available for on the 3DS eShop.

So far, it’s a fun, basic action platformer with a cool “possession” mechanic. Specifically, you play as a ghost, and you possess enemies. When you possess an enemy, such as a gangster, wizard, ninja, etc., you can use its unique attack and you can also use its unique abilities. Possessing certain enemies makes certain sections, such as boss fights, easier. It’s a fun mechanic, but the game really doesn’t do enough with it considering it’s release date (1992). Still, it has pretty good graphics, and it’s fun. I’m not quite sure it’s worth $175+, but it’s certainly worth the $5 I paid for a digital copy.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:23 pm

I started Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge. Level design can be evil sometimes, but the game also has some really clever ideas. The music is pretty good, that Crystal Castle theme is so good they could have used a remixed version of it on that Netflix Castlevania show while showing us Alucard, Trevor, and Sypha kicking ass. It sounds just as awesome as Bloody Tears

I played Monter World IV and the remake a little bit. I don't know about anyone else, but the 16-bit version seemed far more charming to me. 16-bit games stand the test of time. The don't NEED a visual overall in my opinion. Oh well, nice to see the game get released though and good of them to let people choose which version they want to play.

So if I finish these, I'm thinking of the following for the rest of the month:

Kid Dracula - Might as well keep the Castlevania thing going
Ninja Five - O - I own the game, sadly the box got damaged. I dabbled a bit in this game before but never played through the entire thing
Klonoa - Don't feel like digging out my PS1, so I may play this on my hacked Vita. I have played Klonoa before but's it's been long enough now that I don't remember much. I have more recently played the GBA games so they are fresher in my memory

I might start Double Dragon Advance too, not sure if it's considered a high price game or not. I've heard conflicting things
marurun

by marurun Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:09 pm

Double Dragon Advance is not a $300 game, no. I don’t think it’s in the Too Rich club.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:20 pm

There wasn't a value stated, just triple digits. Which can mean 100 . 300 seems like a good price though.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:56 pm

I think a good and easy metric to use for this month is to just go by the average price listed on VG Price Charting. You're always going to have outliners regarding price, of course. But that would likely be the easiest way to decide what qualifies.

Of course, then you get into loose vs boxed copies, but that’s a whole different can of worms....
marurun

by marurun Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:10 pm

Pricecharting lists DD Advance as just $60, so not a wallet-buster.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:42 pm

Avenging Spirit is done! The difficulty spikes way up at the end, which is fine since the game is pretty short. With infinite continues, it’s also pretty forgiving, and the last boss is a breeze if you have located all the keys and saved your laser gun-wielding girlfriend. It is a very solid GameBoy game, but it is definitely not worth nearly $200. On to the next one...
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:27 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Avenging Spirit is done! The difficulty spikes way up at the end, which is fine since the game is pretty short. With infinite continues, it’s also pretty forgiving, and the last boss is a breeze if you have located all the keys and saved your laser gun-wielding girlfriend. It is a very solid GameBoy game, but it is definitely not worth nearly $200. On to the next one...

Appreciate your review and posts about Avenging Spirit. After looking it up, I realized I've seen the box art before and thinking the US box art looked pretty odd in comparison to the actual gameplay. I guess the localization team thought a henchmen with a tommy gun would be more attractive to consumers than a friendly looking ghost? Lol.

Game sounds fun though, glad you enjoyed your time with it and got it on the cheap!
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:33 am

Put a few more hours into Chrono Trigger this evening. I defeated the boss in the Tyrano Lair and am now at the Kingdom of Zeal -- the world map in this area has a great design IMO. Also, I really like the calming background music here. Gonna have a busy weekend, so I probably won't be able to resume the game until Sunday. Can't wait to see what happens next though -- really enjoying it so far.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:41 am

I started Snatcher the other night, other than really wishing it had closed captions, I'm really loving it so far. was not expecting that decapitation scene.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Return to Together Retro