Join in on our classic gaming club!
MrPopo

Re: Together Retro June 2021 - Too Rich For My Blood

by MrPopo Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:31 pm

I'm happy to report your weapon ranges increase as you progress through Magic Knight Rayearth, so the previous cheap hits are mostly a thing of the past. I question people who call it an RPG, though; it's more of a Zelda game without dungeon items.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:56 am

I tried to play through Magic Knight Rayearth last winter and couldn't stick with it.
I stopped during some underground mine level. I'm not quite sure what didn't click whether it was was the controls and attacks like MrPopo mentioned, the story, or dare I say what I used to love and treasure could be what turned me off - the Working Designs Translation.
I may pick it back up this month, but I am still hoping to get Limited Run Games to fix/replace my copy of Shantae GBC.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:17 am

MrPopo wrote:I question people who call it an RPG, though; it's more of a Zelda game without dungeon items.

Popez................ You need to accept the fact that most people are gonna call games of this nature "action-RPGs" -- whether a leveling system is present or not.

I love Saturn Rayearth. The visuals are utterly amazing. Not completely wild about the WD translation though...... still can't get over the line about "tossing salad."
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:00 am

It's funny you say that; that's the line that stuck out at me that I had to share in Slack because the translation is otherwise fairly restrained from standard WD shenanigans. Compared to a modern translation the thing that really seems to stick out is that all the non-main story dialog feels like it was written for sitcom characters.

And just because people are wrong doesn't mean I'm going to indulge them in being wrong. You gain strength at predetermined points and fighting enemies provides no benefit other than the occasional money or health drop. It's Zelda.

Spacebooger, when I was going through the level you're talking about I went "ahh, I see this game studied at the Phantasy Star II school of dungeon design that is hard to look at and follow".
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:18 am

I may pop Rayearth back in and give it a try.
My 11-year-old son is addicted to Baulder's Gate Dark Alliance, so almost every available gaming time we have has been spent on playing that on the oXBOX together, so we will see if I can squeeze any Saturn time on the CRT.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:38 pm

If you do pop Rayearth back in I should warn you; the next dungeon is kind of a pain. It is not obvious that the little fireballs that home in on you can be killed with a sword hit. I didn't figure that out until I was almost finished with it.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:04 am

Finished up Rayearth. Fairly reasonable difficulty curve over time, a handful of spots that didn't have super great level design but nothing egregious, and the collectables are completely unnecessary which matches well with many of them being "investigate a random piece of the background". Solid enough game, but man if I had been waiting years for Victor Ireland to get his shit together and get it out I would probably have felt a little let down.
marurun

by marurun Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:51 am

MrPopo wrote:but man if I had been waiting years for Victor Ireland to get his shit together and get it out I would probably have felt a little let down.

In a sense we're STILL waiting for him to get his shit together.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:18 am

MrPopo wrote:Finished up Rayearth. Fairly reasonable difficulty curve over time, a handful of spots that didn't have super great level design but nothing egregious, and the collectables are completely unnecessary which matches well with many of them being "investigate a random piece of the background". Solid enough game, but man if I had been waiting years for Victor Ireland to get his shit together and get it out I would probably have felt a little let down.

How many hours did this one take? May move to this one next if it isn't to time consuming. I had about 6 hours in years ago before losing my save data unplugging my saturn with a dead battery.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:44 am

I'd put it somewhere in the 10-12 hour range. I started it Sunday morning and finished it Monday evening before going to bed.
Return to Together Retro