Together Retro January 2021 - 2011 games!

Join in on our classic gaming club!
marurun

Re: Together Retro January 2021 - 2011 games!

Post by marurun »

Sload Soap wrote:So, no shared themes then?

And I am participating. This is it.

There doesn't have to be a singular trend that all the games share (other than that they were released that year), but many games do highlight trends (plural) in the industry that provide a picture of the year as a whole or a look at a company or genre at a point in time.

Your other criticisms aren't invalid, certainly, but I don't think they're fatal to the idea of TR. Game club of the month just doesn't work for this forum any longer. There simply aren't enough active posting, playing participants who are all willing and able to play a single title any more. But we all clearly want to be engaging with each other over games, so we're adapting.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

marurun wrote:There doesn't have to be a singular trend that all the games share (other than that they were released that year), but many games do highlight trends (plural) in the industry that provide a picture of the year as a whole or a look at a company or genre at a point in time.

This still just seems so broad to me. Unlike an actual theme, say Mech games, what you suggest could be applied to any game released at any time and on any platform. It could even relate to games not yet released. As I said, what trends or themes do games as disparate as Portal 2, Sonic Generations and Skyrim share?

All people are doing in this thread, and last year's corrosponding 2010 thread (which I took part in), are shifting their backlog and talking at crossed purposes. Most of these games aren't even ten years old!

If you're having issues with participation and people volunteering to come up with themes wouldn't it make sense to make each TR two months long? Or just stop doing it entirely?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Let me see if I'm understanding you; you would rather see TR go away than have a single month focused on a year instead of a theme? Because that sounds like your solution to a spill on the carpet is to burn your house donw.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

MrPopo wrote:Let me see if I'm understanding you; you would rather see TR go away than have a single month focused on a year instead of a theme? Because that sounds like your solution to a spill on the carpet is to burn your house donw.

I'm not offering any solutions. It was pointed out to me, seemingly as a defense, that the themes are now so watered down because of a lack of interest in TR even at the planning stage. What conclusions can be drawn from that?
marurun

Post by marurun »

We are still getting participants and people to lead TR. there’s enough interested folks to keep it going, just not in its original form. It’s still an interesting and compelling enough project to be worth doing. And I don’t think this month is actually too watered down. There’s still a lot to learn from it about our shared hobby.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Playing through Lost in Shadow and... I don't know what to say. I purchased the game as Wii games were cheap and I knew once they were scarce they would go up in price. I always thought the concept looked cool but never tried it.

My fist reaction to playing this was: "This is weird I have to train myself to not look at the foreground like I do in every other game but instead focus on the shadows... which is the first thing on PC games I turn down or off to get more FPS."

After getting used to it I played a bit. It was slow and more art than a game and my reaction was "meh". So I booted it up two days later and played more and had the same opinion, except this time I couldn't put it down. Somehow I was not impressed but captivated. Unlike Uncharted, (the first one) that I just played and beat for the first time this month, I am not trying to squeeze every ounce of free time into this game to beat it.

While I may not be jonesing to play this game, when I do I don't want to stop and get lost in "Lost in Shadow".
I think I will probably beat this game this month since it is only about 10-15 hours worth of play... but it all depends if I get motivated to boot up the Wii for this game alone.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Finally making some progress on Skyward Sword, just not sure if I can beat it by the end of the month.

The best word to describe it is empty. You can argue that it is vast, but it lacks that sense of wonder you get with a vast world, simply because of how uneventful it is. The dungeons are barely there, and have that same design of unlocking a large room in front of the first giant room.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

SpaceBooger wrote:After getting used to it I played a bit. It was slow and more art than a game and my reaction was "meh".

Lost in Shadow is a game I wanted to like, but it’s just...so...boring. I gave up on it in 2011, and I wouldn’t blame you for giving up on it now.

PretentiousHipster wrote:Finally making some progress on Skyward Sword, just not sure if I can beat it by the end of the month.

The best word to describe it is empty. You can argue that it is vast, but it lacks that sense of wonder you get with a vast world, simply because of how uneventful it is. The dungeons are barely there, and have that same design of unlocking a large room in front of the first giant room.

Despite some inspired moments, Skyward Sword is the worst LoZ game. Good luck, PH.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Despite some inspired moments, Skyward Sword is the worst LoZ game. Good luck, PH.

That's a weird statement in a universe where Minish Cap and Zelda II exist.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

MrPopo wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Despite some inspired moments, Skyward Sword is the worst LoZ game. Good luck, PH.

That's a weird statement in a universe where Minish Cap and Zelda II exist.

I loved Minish Cap. It was one of the few that gave that sense of childlike wonder, and some.of the items were amazing. Only flaws are the two bosses that are just large versions of regular enemies, and that items from enemies take too long to spawn.