Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Together Retro 2021 planning thread

by alienjesus Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:41 pm

Unbelievably, the end of 2020 is finally in sight, and with it, the final month of Together Retro for the year.

This is a thread to plan next year's Together Retro.

I'm assuming we're all happy with the current format of people offering up votes each month from January-May and July-November, with 2nd place options coming back for another chance in June and December, but if not let your voice and other suggestions be known.

Otherwise, let me know if you want to put your name down for a month and I'll keep track of it. We'll figure out who does when later.

January: 2011 Retro
February: Prfsnl_Gmr
March: Partridge Senpai
April: Alienjesus
May: Ack
June: 2nd place run off from Feb-May
July: Nemoide
August: Note
September: Gunstar Green
October: Markies
November: PartridgeSenpai
December: 2nd place run off from July-Nov
Last edited by alienjesus on Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro 2021 planning thread

by Gunstar Green Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:01 pm

Current format is fine with me. Put me down for a month this year.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:06 pm

Thanks, AJ! I appreciate you kicking this off. I really enjoyed TR last year, and I also think we should keep the current format. Please put me down for a month - any month is fine with me - and let please let me know if you’d like me to manage the “runner up” polls again next year.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:28 pm

I love the current format, and I really loved doing a month this year (even if I hadn't originally planned to X3). :D

I'm totally down to run a month next year too ^w^

Quick idea though: "Retro 2010", or whatever the theme was last January where we played games that were now "officially retro" (by our super scientific distinction :lol: ) was really cool! I would love to make Retro 2011, where we play games from 2011, a category in my month, but I think it'd just win (or at least I'd hope it would because it's such a good idea :lol: ).

If other people liked the Retro 2010 idea as much as I did, how do we feel about maybe having every January dedicated to a similar "games that turned retro this year" theme? Or should we leave it up to the voters? I'm down for whatever y'all decide~ ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ack

by Ack Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:14 am

I like the idea, Pidge.

Also, if you need more names for TR months, I'm in if you want.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:13 am

whoever came up with that newly-retro month idea was a genius!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:38 am

noiseredux wrote:whoever came up with that newly-retro month idea was a genius!

Yeah! It was brilliant! Thanks, Noise :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
lordb0rb4
32-bit

by lordb0rb4 Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:48 am

Lockdown kept me away from internet and forum but ive managed to beat 270+ games this year, in 2021 i'll be all over TR for sure.
I'm not signing in to do any month since i'm not up to the challenge with this english of mine but i'm totally in.
BTW, newly retro was one of the best ideas this year, excited to see it in 2021.
Lurkei
8-bit

by Lurkei Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:54 pm

2011 means early 3DS games are on the table. Vita launch titles, too, if going by original release date. It's really weird to think of those as "retro", but I like the idea either way.

Also, I'd love to run a month! What does it entail? Just creating and overseeing a thread?
Ack

by Ack Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:12 pm

Lurkei wrote:Also, I'd love to run a month! What does it entail? Just creating and overseeing a thread?

Sort of. The month before, you provide a set of four or five options that people can pick from that will still allow folks to reach the ten-year-old minimum rule. Typically we also provide examples from each category. Once the poll ends, you announce the winner, and at the start of your month, you create the thread.

You can engage as much as you want in your month, though better months tend to have more engagement, because it keeps folks involved. For instance, Pidge tends to be highly involved in their month, and it helps keep folks talking. Conversely, I had just started as a freelancer in mine and spent most of it wondering what the hell I was doing in my life, which isn't exactly conducive to getting folks to play or discuss games.
Return to Together Retro