June, 2020, Together Retro Poll Winner! SRPGs!

Join in on our classic gaming club!

June, 2020, Together Retro: RUNNER-UP MATCH UP

Poll ended at Sat May 30, 2020 11:22 am

Card Games
8%
Best Girl/Guy
19%
DOS Games on Console
19%
Enix on SNES
24%
Strategy RPGs
30%

Total votes: 37

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

June, 2020, Together Retro Poll Winner! SRPGs!

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

In life, there are no second chances, but in video games, you always get one more shot....

Welcome to the second Racketboy Together Retro Runner-Up Match Up. All of these categories almost won a few months ago, and now they’re back again for one more chance at glory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January
noiseredux wrote:CARD GAMES

Another year, another card game option. Maybe this will be the year? You know the drill. These are games that revolve around the concept of building decks and battling cards. There's lots to choose from out there on many consoles.

Suggestions: Pokemon TCG, Phantasy Star Online Episode III, SNK Vs Capcom Card Fighters Clash, Marvel Trading Card Game, Metal Gear Acid

February
alienjesus wrote:Best Girl/Guy
Theme: Games with dating/romance mechanics
Being that February includes Valentines Day, it only seemed right to offer an option for romance. This category covers any games which include mechanics or options to romance another character - something optional, not just a pre-scripted romance as part of the plot. Dating sims are obviously prime options, but there's plenty of other games with these elements, especially RPGs.

Example options:
Love Plus (DS), Sweet Fuse (PSP), Fire Emblem series (various), Mass Effect series (360/PS3), Sakura Wars (Saturn), Tokimeki Memorial series (various), Riviera: The Promise Land (GBA/PSP), Thousand Arms (PS1), Persona 3 & 4 (PS2, PSP, PSVita), Harvest Moon series (various), Dragon Quest V (SFC, DS), Phantasy Star III (MD)

March
marurun wrote:3) DOS games on console.
Revisit the DOS classics in your life, but don't go boot up that old 286 (or the Internet Archive) yet. This theme is about playing games that started out on DOS but were later ported to consoles. This theme is a little non-retro in that DOS games that are playable on modern consoles are also allowed, because the DOS originals are DEFINITELY retro. So not only can you play Warcraft and Crusader: No Remorse on Saturn or Playstation, you can also get your DOOM on on Saturn or Playstation, or any number of other consoles, including Switch and PS4.

April
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Enix on SNES
Enix was always more of a publisher than developer. They achieved greatness on the Super Nintendo (and Super Famicom), releasing games by the likes of Heartbeat, Quintet, Chunsoft, Almanic, Quest, Produce, Westone, tri-Ace, and, uh, Manley & Associates. There's a lot to explore in this RPG-heavy category.
Games List:
The 7th Saga
ActRaiser
ActRaiser 2
Brain Lord
Dark Half
Dragon Quest I & II
Dragon Quest III
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
E.V.O.: Search for Eden
Hameln no Violin Hiki
Illusion of Gaia
Itadaki Street 2
Joushou Mahjong Tenpai
Jyutei Senki
King Arthur & the Knights of Justice
Mahoujin GuruGuru
Mahoujin GuruGuru 2
Mystic Ark
Nangoku Shounen Papuwa-kun
Nekketsu Tairiku Burning Heroes
Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
Paladin's Quest
Robotrek
Soul Blazer
Star Ocean
Terranigma
Wonder Project J

May
Markies wrote:Strategy RPG's

Let's look at a niche genre inside of an already thought of niche genre. Strategy RPG's are the thinkier version of RPG's. They are normally longer with battles lasting close to hours. The stories are more about war instead of the normal RPG tropes. They also have more options. For a strict list, here is one for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Tactical_role-playing_video_games

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keeping with this month’s theme, you may vote for two options, and the poll closes on Friday, May 29.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Sat May 30, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: June, 2020, Together Retro Poll: RUNNER-UP MATCH UP

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Not gonna lie...these are some pretty rad options. You can start voting now!
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

A lotta good choices! Will have to take some time to decide.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Is it bad that I didn't vote for my pick? 8)
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Is it bad that I didn't vote for my pick? 8)

:lol:

My votes are in...I voted for your pick. SRPGs is ahead by a country mile right now, though.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I suspect everyone is going SRPG and whatever else.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Is it bad that I didn't vote for my pick? 8)

I didn't vote for SRPG's and it's winning by a mile.

I beat my SRPG, Arc the Lad Collection, so I'm really not in the mood to play another.

I did Card Games & Enix on SNES.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

If only Enix has ported a DOS SRPG to the SNES, then I could play all of them. Alas...
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

The only ones I own stuff for are Card Games and SRPGs, so even though Card Games is my favorite on there, any of the others winning would make it a lot harder for me to participate ^^;
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I actually did choose my own category, but it was mainly because it offers me options which aren't RPGs so they're easier to fit around the summer challenge.

If SRPGs wins I guess I could delay playing FE4 for my summer challenge so it runs alongside TR.