Join in on our classic gaming club!
User avatar
stickem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: nashville,tn.

Re: May Together Retro: Sega Dreamcast & Ports

by stickem Fri May 08, 2020 3:06 pm

El Dorados Gate looks like a good game, or at least the 1 i tried, theres 7. Wish there was a translation, looks like a fun game to get into. I ran around for awhile clueless and tried google translate which sucked. Never seen a translation for any of them.
User avatar
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:15 pm
Location: Houston, TEXAS

Re: May Together Retro: Sega Dreamcast & Ports

by Jagosaurus Sat May 09, 2020 1:55 am

@pook

CV is in that weird limbo period where technically the game goes beyond the original trilogy, but gameplay remains true to the core formula.

It can be a fairly difficult game due to all the factors you mentioned. Backtracking is definitely there, but present in originals as well. Ribbon & type writer management alone causes this in addition to level design.

RE CV blew my mind when it came out. I must've rented it 5 times at minimum. Finally beat it years later.

Have to note it's the true third game in the original trilogy. RE Nemesis is a spin off. Half the RE3 game takes place before RE2. It only had the "3" in title because of a "3 numbered" game contract Sony had. That 3 really belongs on CV.

Also... eff poison moths :lol:. If you're hurting going into that area... don't even bother.
My Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
User avatar
opa
64-bit
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:25 am

Re: May Together Retro: Sega Dreamcast & Ports

by opa Sat May 09, 2020 10:32 am

Note wrote:Haven't learned how to do this yet. Is it an option in the status menu, or a button press during battle?

z-button on GameCube when the battle cut-scene starts. Not sure if you can do it on Dreamcast or not.
User avatar
Note
64-bit
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:39 pm
Location: NYC

Re: May Together Retro: Sega Dreamcast & Ports

by Note Sat May 09, 2020 12:52 pm

opa wrote:z-button on GameCube when the battle cut-scene starts. Not sure if you can do it on Dreamcast or not.


Thanks for the tip, I'm playing on the DC, and you can skip it by pressing the start button.
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 19772
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: May Together Retro: Sega Dreamcast & Ports

by BoneSnapDeez Sat May 09, 2020 7:30 pm

So, PSO is rad. I'm in the final dungeon (the ruins) where shit starts to get real. Hoping to have this one wrapped up soon.
User avatar
Note
64-bit
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:39 pm
Location: NYC

Re: May Together Retro: Sega Dreamcast & Ports

by Note Sat May 09, 2020 8:10 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:So, PSO is rad. I'm in the final dungeon (the ruins) where shit starts to get real. Hoping to have this one wrapped up soon.


PSO is great ... I got really hooked on the Gamecube version. I had the broadband adapter and that crazy keyboard controller just for that game. Lol, I gotta revisit it sometime. Unfortunately my saved characters got corrupted -- there was a lot of issues with saves getting damaged in the GC version.

I put a few more hours into Skies this afternoon, just finished up the Temple of Pyrynn area.
pook99
128-bit
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Re: May Together Retro: Sega Dreamcast & Ports

by pook99 Sat May 09, 2020 8:57 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:@pook

CV is in that weird limbo period where technically the game goes beyond the original trilogy, but gameplay remains true to the core formula.

It can be a fairly difficult game due to all the factors you mentioned. Backtracking is definitely there, but present in originals as well. Ribbon & type writer management alone causes this in addition to level design.

RE CV blew my mind when it came out. I must've rented it 5 times at minimum. Finally beat it years later.

Have to note it's the true third game in the original trilogy. RE Nemesis is a spin off. Half the RE3 game takes place before RE2. It only had the "3" in title because of a "3 numbered" game contract Sony had. That 3 really belongs on CV.

Also... eff poison moths :lol:. If you're hurting going into that area... don't even bother.


Definitelty

I wish capcom would remake this instead of RE4. I just played RE4 and it still holds up incredibly well and does not need a remake, this game would be amazing if they redid this like they did with 2 and 3

I just wish I played this game years ago, I have owned it since its original DC release and just never got around to it, I feel like I would have really enjoyed this game when it first came out.
User avatar
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:15 pm
Location: Houston, TEXAS

Re: May Together Retro: Sega Dreamcast & Ports

by Jagosaurus Sun May 10, 2020 8:51 am

I can see it being dated if you played it now. I have some heavy nostalgia for it & honestly like the control scheme. It would especially be a bit jarring to play the 16:9 widescreen & HD release for a first timer. It looks amazing, but plays like 1996. I think it'll be a bit but we'll eventually see a proper remake with Claire being a fan favorite.

Also, worth noting the VMU on DC shows your health status in real time (fine, caution, danger, & you're dead). It even shows some cool animations such as Claire's face.
My Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
User avatar
Note
64-bit
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:39 pm
Location: NYC

Re: May Together Retro: Sega Dreamcast & Ports

by Note Sun May 10, 2020 7:41 pm

Jag, this is pretty random, but I was watching video reviews of Evolution: The World of the Sacred Device, as it's a game I purchased around the time of release, but never really got into. I noticed you posted a comment on one of the reviews I came across, did you ever end up playing the game?

If anyone's played it, what'd you think?
User avatar
stickem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: nashville,tn.

Re: May Together Retro: Sega Dreamcast & Ports

by stickem Sun May 10, 2020 7:44 pm

^Ok but gets boring. 1 town, 1 dungeon that keeps random generating each entry. Never finished it.
Return to Together Retro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests