Join in on our classic gaming club!
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Re: May Together Retro: Sega Dreamcast & Ports

by Sload Soap Mon May 04, 2020 11:50 pm

alienjesus wrote:I seem to remember from the Gamecube version that investing in Aika's skills early on is worthwhile - she gets a multitarget move which doesn't cost much SP as her second one iirc, which is very spammable in random battles.

First ten hours of Skies be like:

BACK OFF! ALPHA STOOOOOOOORM!

HAAAAAH! HAH! CUTLASS FURY!

BACK OFF! ALPHA STOOOOOOOORM!

Fina dies.

BACK OFF!
Note
64-bit

by Note Wed May 06, 2020 2:26 pm

^^ Lol. Alpha Storm is definitely used a lot.

The encounter rates don't seem too high to me. But, the most modern RPG I've put some time into is the original Mass Effect on the 360, so I have no idea what the encounter rates are like in newer games, or what type of QOL stuff has been changed in recent RPGs.

I'm just about 10 hours in to Skies of Arcadia. I just finished the Valuan mission, and have some grinding to do on Shrine Island, before heading to Nasr. I'm really enjoying this game! I stayed up late playing till about 1 AM last night and still did not want to put it down.

Looking forward to playing a few more hours tonight and getting the party leveled up and ready for the next mission.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Thu May 07, 2020 12:14 am

Once you can get 8 Spirit a turn and be able to use Aika's Lamda Burst, the game gets so much easier.

I'm taking my time, but I'm basically one crystal ahead of you as I'm currently hunting the green crystal.

I forgot how much I truly love Skies of Arcadia. It really is one of the best games to just get lost in. You play the game and you just loose track of time.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu May 07, 2020 7:18 am

Lambda Burst is definitely the skill I was thinking of. Super spammable!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu May 07, 2020 8:56 am

Sload Soap wrote:BACK OFF! ALPHA STOOOOOOOORM!

Oh God I can hear that so clearly in my head.
opa
64-bit

by opa Thu May 07, 2020 12:29 pm

Alpha Storm is awesome. However, once you learn to skip the battle cutscenes you'll never watch it again. Lol
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu May 07, 2020 12:50 pm

Note
64-bit

by Note Thu May 07, 2020 7:37 pm

Markies wrote:Once you can get 8 Spirit a turn and be able to use Aika's Lamda Burst, the game gets so much easier.

I'm taking my time, but I'm basically one crystal ahead of you as I'm currently hunting the green crystal.

I forgot how much I truly love Skies of Arcadia. It really is one of the best games to just get lost in. You play the game and you just loose track of time.

Yeah, I totally agree with you. The past few nights have flown by because I've been glued to this game. Totally enjoying it.

opa wrote:Alpha Storm is awesome. However, once you learn to skip the battle cutscenes you'll never watch it again. Lol

Haven't learned how to do this yet. Is it an option in the status menu, or a button press during battle?

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Aight, we need the vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl1RauOPH3Q

Lol. Pretty much how I spent the past few nights.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri May 08, 2020 6:40 am

The resale mall is back open (granted with FAR more limited hours), so I was able to pick up a Dreamcast today for the low low price of 3500 yen :D

I had to go to a different store to get a memory card, weirdly enough, but now I'm all ready to play Maken X later this week/month (or perhaps the first chapter of El Dorado Gate, which I also have and would be neat, potentially).
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Note
64-bit

by Note Fri May 08, 2020 1:51 pm

PartridgeSenpai wrote:The resale mall is back open (granted with FAR more limited hours), so I was able to pick up a Dreamcast today for the low low price of 3500 yen :D

I had to go to a different store to get a memory card, weirdly enough, but now I'm all ready to play Maken X later this week/month (or perhaps the first chapter of El Dorado Gate, which I also have and would be neat, potentially).

That's awesome that you picked up a Dreamcast and VMU. Enjoy! I hadn't heard of either Maken X or El Dorado Gate ... they both look pretty good. I might have to track down Maken X later in the year.

Just curious, was an English fan translation ever completed for El Dorado Gate?
Return to Together Retro