Join in on our classic gaming club!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: May Together Retro: Sega Dreamcast & Ports

by Jagosaurus Sun May 03, 2020 9:51 am

The DC ports of RE2 & RE3 share some upgrades with the PC ports. I believe better resolution (supports 480p over VGA IIRC too), 60 FPS, & more polygons on character models. Content remains mostly the same outside of a difficulty mode, battle mode, & art gallery.

RE CV is one of my all time favorites. The X versions add a lot of story though. Need to buy the HD port.
My Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Sun May 03, 2020 12:39 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:Markie, while the spirit of this TR is ports, I think this is a great thread essentially covering the opposite of your 2007 link, yet related. 2017 RB thread covering the shrinking list of DC exclusives:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51778

Might be worth adding to OP. At the time of the 07 article Jet Set Radio hadn't been ported yet for example. You could use '17 thread to work backwards & see what was ported 8)

I might need to break out that HD JSR or Sonic Adventure port.

Edits: need coffee... grammar, link

Done and Done!

Thank you for the resource!
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun May 03, 2020 4:48 pm

Started playing code veronica when I had insomnia last night and played for a few more hours today.

I'm very on the fence with it, I just think that old school survival horror games are not appealing to me as they once were. I do love the series but if you think about the big horror releases over the past few years (RE 2, 3, 4-6, 7, evil within, outlast amnesia etc) they don't really play like the classic RE games and a number of survival horror conventions just annoy me know.

1) Static camera angles: I get the suspense these try and build but is there ever a shot where an enemy is actually visible? With zombies its not really bad since you hear them shuffling and you can bait them on screen to make sure you are hitting them but with stuff like the zombie dogs and the long armed shitheads it is just annoying to be constantly hit off screen and not being able to fight back.

2) tank controls: I just cant do it, it is okay enough to just walk around but trying to dodge anything is just a nightmare, very clunky and I dont think its a control scheme I can go back to.

3) constant backtracking: obviously your inventory system is limited and I just find the constant backtracking to the very few item boxes located around to be more of a chore than anything else.

Those 3 are staples of old school survival horror and I just cant get into it like I used to, combine that with code veronicas annoying tendency to constantly respawn enemies and the whole thing seems like its more trouble than its worth.

I dont want to bash the game too much, I bet if I played it upon release I would have enjoyed it, but as far now it is just not worth my time.

Not sure if I will play anything else as I generally hate the dreamcast, but I'll look at some lists and see if anything else strikes my fancy.
Note
64-bit

by Note Sun May 03, 2020 6:05 pm

I started playing Skies of Arcadia this afternoon, this is my first time playing the game, and I've been looking forward to trying it for a while. The game starts off with a bang, and throws you right into a boss battle after a bit of dialogue. It took me a bit to figure out the spirit meter and battle system, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I played for about three hours, and am up to the Shrine Island area. I took my time while exploring the underground port and Pirate Isle. I also took some time to grind and gain a few levels while making my way to Pirate Isle. I also like that you get to control a vehicle to explore the overworld right away, as with most RPGs the access to a vehicle comes much later in the game.

I might try to play a few more hours later tonight, and grind a bit more before entering Shrine Island. Any pointers or tips for someone new to this title is appreciated!

So far I'm really enjoying Skies. I haven't played through a RPG in a while, so It's a good change of pace to the other games I had been playing.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Sun May 03, 2020 7:46 pm

Note wrote:I might try to play a few more hours later tonight, and grind a bit more before entering Shrine Island. Any pointers or tips for someone new to this title is appreciated!

So far I'm really enjoying Skies. I haven't played through a RPG in a while, so It's a good change of pace to the other games I had been playing.

I'm also playing through Skies of Arcadia. This is my second time playing through it, so if you have any questions, I'm here to help.

It's a good idea to look for all of the Discoveries. They provide more than enough money that you will need and will give an incentive to do something else while grinding. You might need to consult a map/walkthrough to find them all.

Pay attention to the Spirit Points Gauge at the top. For regular and ship battles, that is the most important bar to watch besides your HP. You can cast your skills using the gauge at the top and you also start with a certain amount each battle. They are mostly good attacks and it's a good idea to use them, especially at the beginning of the battle.

Each person learns magic differently. Some take a while to learn a certain element, so its a good idea to diversify so that your characters can learn more than 1 type. It's also really addicting and makes you want to do another battle just to learn more spells.

At about the 5-10 hour mark, the game really opens up. You have the main quest of the game, your major party members and everything you will need. Until then, enjoy the set up and story. :D
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon May 04, 2020 3:58 am

I seem to remember from the Gamecube version that investing in Aika's skills early on is worthwhile - she gets a multitarget move which doesn't cost much SP as her second one iirc, which is very spammable in random battles.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

by Melek-Ric Mon May 04, 2020 8:02 am

If anyone wants to play some Daytona USA on 360 (or Xbox One), private message me. I know it's an arcade port, but Daytona was on the Dreamcast.

We can get in a party with our mics and play Karaoke mode! /s
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
Note
64-bit

by Note Mon May 04, 2020 4:54 pm

Markies wrote:I'm also playing through Skies of Arcadia. This is my second time playing through it, so if you have any questions, I'm here to help.

alienjesus wrote:I seem to remember from the Gamecube version that investing in Aika's skills early on is worthwhile - she gets a multitarget move which doesn't cost much SP as her second one iirc, which is very spammable in random battles.

Thanks for the tips Markies and AJ! Appreciate it. I should have the time to put in a few more hours this evening. Gonna grind a bit and head to Shrine Island.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

by foxhound1022 Mon May 04, 2020 9:09 pm

It's kinda funny this is TR. I fired up the DC 3 weeks ago and just played a couple of fighters. MvC 2, Super SFll X, and SC. Also went through the arcade mode of Spawn again.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon May 04, 2020 9:25 pm

Markies wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:Markie, while the spirit of this TR is ports, I think this is a great thread essentially covering the opposite of your 2007 link, yet related. 2017 RB thread covering the shrinking list of DC exclusives:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51778

Might be worth adding to OP. At the time of the 07 article Jet Set Radio hadn't been ported yet for example. You could use '17 thread to work backwards & see what was ported 8)

I might need to break out that HD JSR or Sonic Adventure port.

Edits: need coffee... grammar, link

Done and Done!

Thank you for the resource!

Reminds me of this thread from a while back, too: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50890
Return to Together Retro