May Together Retro: Sega Dreamcast & Ports

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Markies
Next-Gen

May Together Retro: Sega Dreamcast & Ports

Post by Markies »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDc7WUHr5-A

The Sega Dreamcast!
The swan song of Sega in the console market.
The console with the first online capabilities.
A modder's dream.
A large list of arcade perfect titles.
The biggest what if in gaming.
The predecessor to the original XBOX.
The first victim to the PS2.

It has been called many things, but for now, we will call the Sega Dreamcast the console to play for May 2020.

This is a very simple concept with a wide amount of games. I would like to compare Sega Dreamcast games to games released on other platforms. The only exception of this are games released on the Dreamcast ONLY.

So, if a game was released on multiple platforms including the Dreamcast, that counts.
If a game was released on the Dreamcast and then ported/upgraded to another console, that also counts.
Bonus Points if you play the same game on multiple platforms or the original versus the port.

For a handy dandy list, check out this one from Racketboy!

https://www.racketboy.com/retro/list-of-dreamcast-ports-on-other-systems

Let us know your thoughts and let us relive 9.9.99 Again!

Jagosaurus wrote:While the spirit of this TR is ports, I think this is a great thread essentially covering the opposite of your 2007 link, yet related. 2017 RB thread covering the shrinking list of DC exclusives:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51778

Might be worth adding to OP. At the time of the 07 article Jet Set Radio hadn't been ported yet for example. You could use '17 thread to work backwards & see what was ported

dsheinem wrote:Reminds me of this thread from a while back, too: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50890
Last edited by Markies on Mon May 04, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: May Together Retro: Sega Dreamcast & Ports

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I don't own many Dreamcast games and I'm using this as an "excuse" to play PSO again. Original version on DC.

I've gotten so used to the remakes; I totally forgot I can't play as a female human ranger (RAmarl) in the original DC version, so I'm playing as the default male instead. He's kind of dorky looking so I have him wearing a mask.

As I've stated before, I really prefer the compact nature of the DC original. As cool as Episodes II and IV are, Episode I (the DC game) has the best environments by far.

Anyway, all forest quests are done. Ready to fight that dragon!
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

The Dreamcast is one of my favorite consoles, so I've been looking forward to this month's TR, and am glad this is the theme that won the vote.

I'm going to finally play Skies of Arcadia, and will start with that game first. However, I also purchased a lightgun for House of the Dead 2, and will most likely also dabble in that during the upcoming week.

Some other games I really enjoy on the DC that I have and would like to play a bit later in the month ... Soul Calibur, Jet Grind Radio, Dynamite Cop, Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves, Triggerheart Excelica, Gigawing, Ikaruga, PSO, and Cosmic Smash.

There's also a bunch of games for the DC I've been curious about and never tried. Not sure I'll have enough time to track them down this month, but perhaps this will inspire me to do so later in the year.

Hope everyone enjoys their Dreamcast gaming. Long live the Dreamcast!
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Would anyone be interested in setting up a netplay night this month? Was thinking we could play any of these: MVC2, Soulcaliber, Powerstone, Bomberman, Chu Chu Rocket, Worms and maybe for a laugh that shitty Sonic party game.

Let me know and I can set up a discord channel, get instructions ready for how it works, etc.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

In the caves of PSO. I actually died, and had to head back in to pick up my gun and money. Hit some of those floaty bombs in a hallway. Oof.

My daughter wants to know why the Dreamcast sounds like a printer.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I had planned to just buy a Dreamcast from the resale mall this month to participate, but it's very possible that it will never be open this month for me to do that with ^^;
If it never ends up opening, I'll just try and track down a copy of PSO on Gamecube. I know one of the Book Offs around here has a copy.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Bone, that's hilarious your daughter was asking about that noise the Dreamcast makes.

The Mad Catz lightgun I ordered for House of the Dead 2 showed up this morning, so played that for a bit today. In the first session I made it through to the office building towards the end of the game but got a game over there. I felt like the lightgun wasn't calibrated well so I tried to recalibrate it before my next attempt, but somehow I made it worse. I tried a few times, but don't think I was able to make it much better. Seems more difficult to correctly calibrate than the Namco Guncon or Guncon 2. Anyone else have a similar issue?

On my second playthrough I was able to get to the final boss but couldn't beat him. I'll try again throughout the week. I really like how the game has multiple pathways to take, based on your actions, so that each session is a bit different. Really fun game, it's held up well over the years IMO.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

The final boss in HOTD2 is a huge pain in the ass. His life bar drains so slowly, and his orbs are just flying everywhere. He has a couple of phases to his attacks as well so about every 3rd of his bar you drain he starts switching it up, so be ready for that. I watched a walkthrough so I knew what to expect and even with that prior knowledge I just barely beat it.

The game definitely held up well, I played it on wii so I did not have any calibration issues, and it has been way too long to remember if I had those issues on my dreamcast. I think the last time I actually played dreamcast was about 20 years ago, I do love light gun shooters though which is a big reason I got into wii collecting this year, that system is definitely the king of light gun shooters and you dont need a crt to play them.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Markie, while the spirit of this TR is ports, I think this is a great thread essentially covering the opposite of your 2007 link, yet related. 2017 RB thread covering the shrinking list of DC exclusives:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51778

Might be worth adding to OP. At the time of the 07 article Jet Set Radio hadn't been ported yet for example. You could use '17 thread to work backwards & see what was ported 8)

I might need to break out that HD JSR or Sonic Adventure port.

Edits: need coffee... grammar, link

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I just finished Resident Evil 3: Nemesis a few days ago, which was ported to the Dreamcast. Does anyone know how the DC version improved upon that game? Higher quality textures? Are there any additional features, or is it a straight port?

Also, I’ve been goofing around with THPS too, which also received a DC port. It’s also a fun game, with a really good soundtrack. How did the DC version improve on the PS1 original? Was it basically the same?