December Together Retro - Robots Fighting Robots!

Join in on our classic gaming club!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

December Together Retro - Robots Fighting Robots!

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

As described by BogusMeatFactory:

Robots Fighting Robots

Nothing is more awesome than hearing the clash of metal on metal as enormous machines do battle. Here are a selection of awesome games featuring robots fighting robots:

1. One Must Fall 2097 - The greatest DOS fighting game EVER MADE! One Must Fall 2097, pits machine against machine in a rich and vibrant tournament of destruction. Players can choose from playing a standard story mode, but where the game really shines is in it's career mode. Players can create a character and earn money to purchase, customize and upgrade your robots to reach the top of the tier. I can not stress enough how fun and fulfilling this game was as a fighting game and still stands as one of my personal favorites of all time.

2. R.A.D. Robot Alchemic Drive - This is an absolutely insane game. Players control giant robots that fight in large cityscapes, but the interesting spin on the typical trope is that you control those robots from ground zero amidst the chaos. You are not perched inside the beast, or controlling it from some unknown location, you are maneuvering on the ground nearby as the machines battle! There is truly nothing like this!

3. Cyborg Justice - Yes... I know... Bogus is again highlighting a mediocre game... or am I? Cyborg Justice on the Sega Genesis is truly a unique gem of a game. This seemingly typical beat-em-up features a unique mechanic which involves customizing your cyborg with various leg, body and arm parts that change the mechanics and controls of your creation. Do you select pneumatic legs that offer a super jump, or do you do tank legs that transform you into a charging ram of death and destruction. Whether you pick a saw hand or a rocket hand, the choice is yours and the game can offer a lot of fun. Even better, you can switch out parts by viscerally removing them from your opponents mid combat. Want that awesome Laser Hand? Pry it off their bodies! The ability to remove parts is a lot of fun and soooo fulfilling!

4. Gundam.... everything? - Seriously, the Gundam Franchise is practically everywhere and in everything. You can pick fighting games, action rpgs and even First Person action games. Pick it all!

Other honorable mentions - The Mechwarrior franchise, the Starsiege franchise, Steel Battalion, Zone of the Enders franchise

Have fun!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: December Together Retro - Robots Fighting Robots!

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

So, I started Metal Marines, and I think I’m going to pass on it. It’s a RTS game, and I completed the first mission before failing multiple times at the second one. I don’t mind failure, but as I became more frustrated with the game, I noticed that the “loading time” between attack animations was frequently longer than the amount of time I had to repair my bases before the next enemy attack. :?

Up next...Target Earth and Vectorman!
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Anyone going to play rise of the robots 1 or 2 for this month? Fits the theme nicely and is probably the worst fighting game(s) ever made, you can probably blaze through it in 15 minutes and is so horrifically bad you will get some laughs out of it.

this month may inspire me to finally go back and replay xardion on SNES, I started playing it last year around this time and never finished it, I still have my save so I may pick that up.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Gonna start the month lighty with Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram, i do own this forever now but haven't even booted it once, let's see what's up with Virtual-On after all 8)
Zone of Enders is another one i'd like to give it a try, maybe this TR!
Last edited by lordb0rb4 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

ZOE and it’s sequel are awesome. You should play them.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:ZOE and it’s sequel are awesome. You should play them.

Got the PS4 version this year as well, would it be considered cheating? :twisted:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Not at all. I frequently play older games on newer consoles for TR.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I played a half an hour or so of the PS1's Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness, which I maintain is arguably one of Capcom's greatest fighting games and among its most criminally underrated. I'm going to try and 1cc it this month, which I don't think I have ever done.

The game is on the PSN (for PS3/PSP), so if you are looking to give it a go without hunting down a disc, it is very accessible!
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Maaaan, Virtual On is not my cup of tea AT ALL.
Graphics are nice but the weird lock-on/dashing was a huge letdown and completely put me off the game for good.

Does anybody have an opinion on Front Mission Gun Hazard (Snes)?
Ack

Post by Ack »

As I recall, Front Mission Gun Hazard had its fair share of fans around here over the years. I think it's worth giving a go.

Also, might I recommend Cybernator to folks if you haven't tried it?