December Together Retro - Robots Fighting Robots!

Join in on our classic gaming club!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: December Together Retro - Robots Fighting Robots!

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:A lot of the Western-developed Sega-published stuff is pretty subpar. Beautiful games but with really questionable difficulty and mechanics. Vectorman is okay, but it makes me wish I was just playing Donkey Kong Country.

Played a little Blood Gear. This is a really solid game. It's structured like Exile (one of my favorites ever) with alternating top-down towns and sidescrolling combat stages. It's an oddly relaxing experience; the chilled out music helps. I just dunno if I can trudge through 6-7 hours with my rudimentary Japanese skills.

This, exactly. It’s like Ecco the Dolphin. Absolutely wonderful aesthetics, marred by some baffling design decisions. (At least Ecco had passwords...)

Next up for me is Wolf Fang. I’ll be playing the PS1 port of this Data East arcade game on my PS3. I’ve read that it’s awesome, and hopefully, I will be able to blow through it pretty quickly.

Finally, on what system are you playing Blood Gear?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Blood Gear is PC Engine CD. 8)
marurun

Post by marurun »

Yes! Bring it home to PCE!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

My man! <high five>
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Looking back at my review from 2017 I came to a lot of the same conclusions; the game is more of a neat tech demo than a polished game.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:[Next up for me is Wolf Fang. I’ll be playing the PS1 port of this Data East arcade game on my PS3. I’ve read that it’s awesome, and hopefully, I will be able to blow through it pretty quickly.

Wolf Fang is a little rough around the edges but it's a really good time. The PS1 port has branching paths like the original arcade release, unlike the US arcade release (Rohga: Armor Force) which strung all the levels together into this way-too-long game.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I finished Heavy Gear, and put my thoughts in Games Beaten here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=52554&p=1152929#p1152929

tl;dr - not my favorite by any stretch of the imagination.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Gunstar Green wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:[Next up for me is Wolf Fang. I’ll be playing the PS1 port of this Data East arcade game on my PS3. I’ve read that it’s awesome, and hopefully, I will be able to blow through it pretty quickly.

Wolf Fang is a little rough around the edges but it's a really good time. The PS1 port has branching paths like the original arcade release, unlike the US arcade release (Rohga: Armor Force) which strung all the levels together into this way-too-long game.

I played through Wolf Fang the other day, and you described it perfectly. I played through the easy route and really enjoyed it. My favorite part was how the pilot jumps out of the mech, Blaster Master-style, when your life reaches zero. Your firepower decreases tremendously, but so does your hit box! (My least favorite part was my inability to shoot directly upwards.)
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

I'm halfway through Metal Warriors and i like it a lot, it draws many good aspects of Cybernator and improves in some of them!
I just love how the different mechs scattered throughout the stages and recover spots opens up plenty strategies and ways to tackle up the mission.
The cutscenes are an amazing display of 16bit goodness and the fact that you have to rely on visual condition of your mech ,since there's no HUD, is realy impressive and ahead of it's time.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I forgot how much of a dick the final boss of Virtual-On is.