Join in on our classic gaming club!
IMJ
24-bit

Re: August 2019 Together Retro: Retro Sports Games

by IMJ Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:00 pm

My God this thread makes me want to play RBI Baseball or Tecmo Super Bowl so I can see a bunch of little Ryu's running around the football field....
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:56 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Have you played the The Activision Decathlon?? I'm a little scared to try that one out. I gotta give them points for accuracy -- it even contains the 1500!!!

Is that just like the 100...but with 15x more button tapping? It sounds excruciating!

Ok, I made an attempt.

It's worse than I anticipated. Instead of pressing the fire button, you waggle the joystick back and forth to run.

wikipedia wrote:The game became somewhat notorious for the amount of wear or damage inflicted upon console controllers

:lol: :lol: :lol:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:32 pm

It's almost September, and that means time for me to play some football. Now, normally I gravitate towards Madden, but I thought I'd give an oldie a try. Play Action Football came to my attention via an old Nintendo Power issue, and since I found a copy for a mere two dollars on Game Boy, I figured why the heck not?

I remember the NES version of this game was kind of a big deal since it supported four-player co-op. The Game Boy version does not - at least not that I can tell from the menu. But that's sort of moot since I don't know four friends who own Game Boys and live close enough to try out such a thing. Even if I did, it would still be moot because this is one of the more boring football games I've ever played.

Now, I will give it credit for what it pulls off on the hardware. It's neat seeing full teams and all. Of course, the players are absolutely tiny to achieve such a feat. And that makes it hard to sometimes see what's going on. But the major thing is that this game just drags. The action feels so so slow. Maybe back in the day it felt like a really good simulation. I'm not sure. A friend of mine swears the NES version was great.

But ugh. I played a full game that ended in a 0-0 score. It seems like even the CPU has trouble completing passes, at least on the default difficulty. It was like the most tedious tug-o-war game I've ever played. Oh well. I guess I'll probably be digging back into a Madden again soon. I do have Madden 13 on Wii U that I haven't spent much time with so...
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:05 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:If you love Super Tecmo Bowl head over to https://tecmobowl.org/files/ and download a patch to play the 2019-2020 season with the current players.
Every year I download the new patch and play. They also have patches for other retro spots games like the SNES Ken Griffey JR games. I use the Retron5's patching capability to play these on a tv with the proper controller.

Those guys are great. I worked with them - geez 7 years ago now - on a piece.

https://retrosportsgamer.wordpress.com/ ... bowl-2013/

This was a great thread to drop back in on.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:07 pm

Oh and similar to the Madden series guide GG wrote up, I did one for Tecmo Bowl:

https://retrosportsgamer.wordpress.com/ ... ecmo-bowl/
Return to Together Retro