July Together Retro: I ❤ the monster hero!

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: July Together Retro: I ❤ the monster hero!

Post by Gunstar Green »

Played a bit of King of the Monsters 2 on Genesis. I've always preferred it to the SNES version even though it technically has less content. I prefer it as a straight up 1v1 fighter instead of how the SNES has action levels before the monster fight. I also like that you can play all the alien monsters. Man, this game is a bit harder than I remember, but it's fun just seeing how much of the city you can smash up before the end of each bout.

Cyber Woo is still my favorite character. Gotta love the robo ape.

Ack

Post by Ack »

Gunstar Green wrote:Played a bit of King of the Monsters 2 on Genesis. I've always preferred it to the SNES version even though it technically has less content. I prefer it as a straight up 1v1 fighter instead of how the SNES has action levels before the monster fight. I also like that you can play all the alien monsters. Man, this game is a bit harder than I remember, but it's fun just seeing how much of the city you can smash up before the end of each bout.

Cyber Woo is still my favorite character. Gotta love the robo ape.

If you haven't tried it, Cyber Woo is a playable character in the 2-on-2 tag team 2D fighter NeoGeo Battle Coliseum. It has some slowdown and wasn't the best received fighting game of it's time, but I had fun with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeoGeo_Battle_Coliseum
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I think I remember that, he was piloted by a girl or something?
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yep, that's the one. You can also play as the alien from Metal Slug if you want to keep with the monster theme.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I finally became a werewolf in Twilight Princess! It was more dramatic than I expected!
Link gets conked on the head and dragged into a dark-place and has a transformation sequence that reminded me a little bit of An American Werewolf in London (probably because he gets on all fours before going full-wolf). Link is promptly imprisoned but breaks out with the help of Midna, who seems to be your extra-bossy sidekick. It turns out I somehow ended up in Hyrule... not totally sure if I also traveled through time. There's a nameless evil-person that I ASSUME is Ganon. Zelda is revealed to be the titular Twilight Princess (shock!) in that she's still the princess of Hyrule even though the kingdom is engulfed in a vague supernatural darkness. Then I got back home, but I'm still stuck as a wolf! I don't really know where the game is going next, I haven't yet fought any bosses and my health is still only 3 hearts (I did find one heart container).

In wolf form, I can SEE GHOSTS and HOWL, which is awesome. I can also run fast and dig, which is fine I guess. I'm under the impression that at some point Link gains the ability to change back-and-forth at will and I'm looking forward to that. I predict some interesting dungeon designs once that happens.

While I'm not totally sold on the game's visual design, I do really like Midna as a sidekick character from both a design perspective and as someone with a personality I find more fun than Navi or The King of Red Lions. She's really GREMLIN-Y and her hat reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus; these are both good things.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I just remembered the other day that I could play After Armageddon Gaiden on the Mega CD for this month, but it’s a game that I’d probably prefer to stream. I’m not sure how I could fit that into this month, but I’ll give it some thought.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

@pierot: You got a bad ending for demons crest. I get where you are coming from with that game, I LOVE gargoyles quest 1 and 2 but demons crest is very cryptic with a lot of needless backtracking. if you dont know exactly where everything is the game will be over before you know it and it you will be left scratching your head. The game also gives you no indication that there is more to it and a better ending, I only know because after I beat it I was like, there is no way that can be it, and started reading about it on the internet. I have always wanted to revisit it with an in depth walkthrough at some point but never got around to it, and TBH if thats what you need to do in order to get maximum satisfaction off of a game than that is absolutely dreadful game design.

I think for this months together retro I will replay one or both of the kid dracula games.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I didn't necessarily find it to be that cryptic, but it did feel like it left out a lot of the "why" to the progression. There's very little context for the bulk of the actual game. I can look past that, personally, but even the exploration parts of it were just not that interesting to me.

I was looking at the requirements for the different endings, last week probably, and it seems like I got the "normal" ending. I don't feel like I ended up missing much of the game, though. I missed a couple of upgrades, and would have seen a "good" ending, if I had found the other two talismans. The only real content that I appear to have missed was the secret boss. There's pretty much zero chance that I ever actually try to get that, though, since it seems like I would have to play a lot of the headbutting mini-game for it, and that mini-game is straight up balls.

It's apparently a much more divisive game than I had ever thought it was, before playing it.

I'm not too sure what to do about Gargoyle's Quest on the GB, at this point. Would it be worth it to actually play it? I thought I heard that it's pretty short.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

I think if you like Gargoyles quest 2 then you will enjoy the first game. It plays very similar to its sequel, and although I think the second is a better game, the first is certainly worth playing. I do think it is on the short side but its been awhile since I played it.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

pierrot wrote:I'm not too sure what to do about Gargoyle's Quest on the GB, at this point. Would it be worth it to actually play it? I thought I heard that it's pretty short.

Yeah, it's a quick play but it's pretty fun. It's probably my favorite of the bunch honestly.