June Together Retro 2019 - Now You're Talking My Language

Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: June Together Retro 2019 - Now You're Talking My Languag

Post by alienjesus »

So I started a bit late, but I've been diving into Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War on Super Famicom recently. It's an interesting game and I'll go into some specifics about that in my summer challenge thread (as I'm playing it for both!) but the summation is I'm having a good time. There's lots of things that make it stand out from other Fire Emblem games, in a good way. That is, good because they're unique and different and still fun, not necessarily because I think they're better.

I'm playing the Project Naga translation that is apparently still in Beta, but it's 99% complete as far as I can see. I've seen a bit of the original fan translation for the game before, and this is a nice improvement. The original translation carried the meaning across well enough, but the new one flows better and is much more readable. I'm enjoying it.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Ernest Rutherford IQ post. Based and Zeldapilled.

I did indeed run into a "timer" issue when I played BS Zelda. Perhaps I just didn't try the best "version" of the game (I bought a repro cart so never messed with any ROMz).

:lol:

I played the timed version a bit. Unlike The Ancient Stone Tablets, it’s pretty annoying. You get interrupted every few minutes by an unskippable wall of text that sits on your screen for a few minutes of your precious time. I found the game much more fun when you can explore the remixed world at your leisure.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

So, Valkyrie no Densetsu is a fun little action game. There's little text, but what is there is important, so the fan translation is helpful in that regard.

Some of the mechanics are a little wonky, and it's certainly one of those "cheap" feeling arcade-to-console conversions. I just died at a boss and got sent back quite a way. Decent enough fun to be had here, but I dunno if I'll see this one through.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I started another game for the month: "Touhou Bunkachou ~ Shoot the Bullet" a doujin game from 2005.

For last December's "Shmuptacular" TR, I played a few mainline Touhou games. This one is a quasi-spinoff: the 9.5th in the series - the gameplay is different from a normal shmup, but it was developed by the same person who made the core games, so it's still *mostly* considered part of the core series.

This game skips the levels of a normal shmups and ONLY has boss battles. But then to make things extra different from a normal shmup, you can't actually SHOOT anything. You play as a Tengu-photojournalist-girl and your goal is to get photos of the enemies. Most of the time you're waiting for your film to load/charge. You can make it charge faster at the expense of bringing your movement speed WAY down. When you press the photo button, a large frame appears around your character but as you hold it, you can move it freely, but it rapidly shrinks. Only pictures with the boss count, but you get bonus points for things like having your character and the boss together in the frame, getting a lot of bullets in the picture, and capturing a picture at just the right moment when a boss has a magic-circle around them. And you'll find yourself taking pictures without the boss on purpose since that clears bullets, which makes for interesting strategies.

It sounds pretty complicated, but it's actually a pretty good game to just pick up and play for a bit. You can pick different "scenes" for each stage, each one is just one boss/attack pattern and once you've cleared enough, you can pick different stages. There's no difficulty option and it's HARD, but also very fun and losing doesn't feel as frustrating as in a normal shmup because it's not like you're going to get 45 minutes into the game and have to restart: each scene has a time limit that I'm pretty sure has been under 2 minutes so far.
I'm enjoying it but I'm not sure I'll be able to beat it, especially not by the end of the month. Still, it's fun and puts a unique spin on the shooter genre.

The translation is helpful, but it has the heart of a shmup, so it's not super essential to play the game. BUT HEY, it's a fan translation, it counts!