Join in on our classic gaming club!

What theme for June 2019’s Together Retro? (Pick 2, read descriptions before voting!)

Poll ended at Sat May 25, 2019 10:19 am

Do You Even Smash, Bro?
15%
Now You’re Talking My Language
36%
What A Disaster!
15%
That’s My Boy!
21%
Fashionably Late
12%

Total votes : 33
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Together Retro June 2019 poll

by alienjesus Wed May 15, 2019 10:19 am

Hi all, I’ve swapped months with Gunstar as he’s unfortunately mislaid right now. I’m actually on my honeymoon in Japan writing this up on my tiny mobile phone on shitty hotel internet, so apologies it’s not prettier and might have lots of autocorrect typos!

Here are the 5 options for next months Together Retro, which I’m very excited about - I wish we could do them all!

Do You Even Smash, Bro?
This category is for Nintendo franchises which do not feature a playable character in Super Smash Bros Ultimate to date. Thus, no Mario, Zelda, DK or Metroid - we’re going deeper into Nintendo’s catalogue.

Specifics: a chosen franchise must contain at least 2 unique games, not including updated or remakes. No one off oddities. Characters can be in smash as assist trophies or spirits, just not playable fighters. It doesn’t matter if the game has no characters in smash bros, it’s banned if a character from the franchise has a playable fighter - e.g. no playing Fire Emblem 4 because Fire Emblem is represented overall. The franchise must be owned by Nintendo or a 2nd party of Nintendo.

Suggestions: Wave Race, 1080, Magical starsogn, Golden Sun, Starfy, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Battle Clash, StarTropics, Panel De Pon, Nintendo’s, Steel Diver, Pilotwings, Art Style, X-Scape

Now You’re Talking My Language
This one is nice and simple - all you have to do is play through some fan-translated games that originally weren’t released in the language you’re playing then in!

Suggestions: Wonder Project J, Bahamut Dragoon, Live a Live, Mother 3, Fire Emblem, Love Plus, X, Policenauts, Shining Force 3 scenario 2, Xak III

What A Disaster!
This category is for a genre I think goes a little too unloved - disaster games. This can include games that involve disaster and survival elements in their core gameplay, or games which use it as a key story element, or both.

Specifics: The disasters in the games have to be disasters that are realistic - e.g. natural or man made disasters such as tornados, earthquakes, sinking ships, plane crashes, volacanic eruptions, nuclear explosions, burning buildings - no alien invasions or zombie outbreaks. However, it doesn’t need to be depicted realistically - see Tornado Outbreak! The disaster has to feature prominently in gameplay or story - no games with one volcano level like Bonk.

Suggestions: Survival Kids, Lost In Blue, SOS/Septentrion, Aconcagua, Disaster Report, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Fallout, Ignition Factor, The Firemen, Burning Rangers, Tornado Outbreak, Wetrix, Cursed Mountain?

That’s My Boy!
This category is for showing our love for the original Game Boy, 30 years old this year! We want to look beyond the obvious options and explore the library in more depth, and the system has a lot to offer.

Specifics: there’s only a few rules for this one - Black and white game boy only, no colour. Games shouldn’t be from the obvious list of staples - no Mario Land, Pokemon, Metroid 2, Links Awakening etc. They should also not be direct ports of games better known on home consoles ie. no mortal Kombat, Ducktales etc. Lesser known ports and Pc ports are fine!

Suggestions: Catrap, Burning Paper, X, Great Greed, Sword of Hope, Rolans Curse, Noobow, Solar Striker, Q Billion, Nail n Scale, Tail Gator, Revenge of the Gator, Adventures of Star Saver, James Bond 007, Motocross Maniacs, Mercenary Force

Fashionably Late
Sometimes, when a new console comes out, the old one still has a bit of life left in it. Games that arrive late to the party, which sometimes show the systems full potential, and sometimes limp out of the door half formed. This category is for those games - the ones that arrived on a system after that systems successor was already out.

Specifics: The game needs to have come out in the region version it’s being played on (American, Japanese etc) on a console at least one month after that consoles successor arrived in the same region. Ie on the NES after SNES launches, or on GBA after the DS was out. Ideally it would be unique to the console it came out on - either an exclusive or a unique port.

Examples: Kirbys Adenture, Warios Woods, Shantae, Fire Emblem Thracia 776, Persona 4, Sonic the Hedgehog (SMS), many others ( I had a list but it’s not on me right now!)
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro June 2019 poll

by prfsnl_gmr Wed May 15, 2019 2:24 pm

OMG...these categories are so good that we should use them again next month! Awesome work, AJ. My votes are in!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed May 15, 2019 2:43 pm

I'm planning a Shining Force III full run through if the appropriate category wins.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed May 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Question on the “speaking my language” category...does the game have to be fan-translated? Could I play the official translated version of Mother (a/k/a Earthbound Beginnings) on the Wii U?
Ordinary Gamer
8-bit

by Ordinary Gamer Wed May 15, 2019 7:30 pm

That disaster category is interesting. I imagine most gamers have never played any of those games.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu May 16, 2019 2:21 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Question on the “speaking my language” category...does the game have to be fan-translated? Could I play the official translated version of Mother (a/k/a Earthbound Beginnings) on the Wii U?

I mean, theoretically I’d prefer fan translations, but I’m pretty flexible on stuff like this.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon May 20, 2019 10:57 pm

I was hoping for a closer run thing, but it looks like we have an obvious winner so far. What games are people thinking of playing?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Tue May 21, 2019 4:13 pm

I'll most likely play Policenauts on the Saturn. I picked up a copy while I was in Japan and would like to whittle down the backlog before I play games I don't own physical copies of.

But depending on my mood I might also try Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei or Sweet Home. We will see!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue May 21, 2019 5:23 pm

Definitely Shining Force III trilogy.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Tue May 21, 2019 6:25 pm

I've got a few famicom games that look interesting. I'll start with Musashi no Bouken and depending on how that goes move to Captain Tsubasa 2 and/or Jesus: Kyofu no Bio Monster.
Return to Together Retro