April 2019 Together Retro: Monster Raising (NOT POKEMON)

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ack

April 2019 Together Retro: Monster Raising (NOT POKEMON)

Post by Ack »

Bogus, get in here!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: April 2019 Together Retro: Monster Raising (NOT POKEMON)

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I've put a few hours into Dragon Quest V.

Can't recall when the monster raising element comes in. Have a little ways to go, surely.

Fantastic game.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I was sort of expecting an April Fools post yesterday proclaiming Shenmue as the Together Retro topic for the month.

Dragon Quest V is aces. It's probably about tied for the best in the series, for me. I would highly recommend the PS2 version, but I don't think it has a translation. You get a baby Killer Panther pretty early in the game, but you can't start recruiting other monsters until after the first time skip, which is maybe close to a third of the way in.

I'm not sure that I'll really be playing anything for this months topic, but I may start up SMT Devil Summoner of the Saturn if the planets align, or something.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I beat the DS version of Dragon Quest V a few years back and loved it. I think that's what noise is playing.

I'm headed back to the Super Famicom original this month. I've played this version before, but I don't think I've beaten it. The fan translation is ancient now; I think I was a teenager when that dropped.

The PS2 port is on my bucket list. My Japanese is weaksauce, but I think I could get through it, especially considering my general familiarity with the game already. Maybe in another decade!
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Sorry, two very sick kids and have not had time to write up anything. Been getting about an hour sleep the last two nights. It suuuuucks!!!! But kids come first! Sorry guys!!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Okay, turns out the monster raising in Dragon Quest V begins earlier than I recalled. Got the caravan and have recruited a Brownie and a Slime. Brownie is holding his own, but the Slime had 8 HP to start and died in his first battle. I mean, he is a Slime.
ImageImage
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Yup just starting DQ5 tonight...
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Okay, turns out the monster raising in Dragon Quest V begins earlier than I recalled. Got the caravan and have recruited a Brownie and a Slime. Brownie is holding his own, but the Slime had 8 HP to start and died in his first battle. I mean, he is a Slime.
ImageImage

Wait, what? How far into the game are you? I don't remember it being possible to recruit anything until the hero becomes a beast master.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

So I am playing Magic Pengel on the PS2. I'll try and upload some pictures of my horrific machinations of evil, but so far so good. The visuals of the game remind me heavily of megaman legends. The game has you exploring a town in first person, interacting with the townsfolk while having a more dynamic camera as you battle the creatures you draw in an arena.

I absolutely love this game, but never took the time to beat it. It has such a robust creature creation system and allows for some absolutely stellar artistic creations. My creatures currently look fugly as all get out, simply because I do not have access to all the creature parts and brushes, so for now they will continue to scream.. Well.. They would if I gave them mouths but NO!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

This theme gives me inspiration to get serious about Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure! I started it a couple months ago but didn't really commit. I got up to the ice world.

I also recently picked up Tamagotchi Park for the Sega Saturn, which is another good one for the month's theme! I'm pretty sure it's mostly just "Tamagotchi but on a console" so I'm not expecting to sink too much time into it, but we'll see. I've also started raising one of the new Tamagotchi Meets devices, my first Japanese color-Tamagotchi! But that's not really a game, so it doesn't count.