Join in on our classic gaming club!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: March Together Retro: Arthur, Monkeys!

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:07 pm

Saiyuuki World is the best version of Wonder Boy in Monster Land. The arcade original is one of those games that won’t let you continue at the last level...which is drastically harder than all the rest. (I saved-stated my way to the end, and it was still a challenging, frustrating experience.). Just start with Saiyuuki World!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:08 pm

How 'bout that SMS version tho?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:23 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:How 'bout that SMS version tho?

Even more frustrating than the arcade version!

Here’s an article comparing all the different versions of the game:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wonder ... ster-land/

The TG-16 version is also solid, and both it and the Famicom version are way more forgiving than the arcade or SMD version.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:34 am

I find the SMS version more forgiving than the arcade version, but there’s no denying it’s a tough game!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:14 pm

alienjesus wrote:I find the SMS version more forgiving than the arcade version, but there’s no denying it’s a tough game!

Fair enough. I found it unforgiving in a bad way, though. Nothing in the game is really that hard. It’s more like, “Surprise! We changed the mechanics on you at the last level; you died; and you can’t continue! Guess you’ll just have to play through the long, easy parts of the game, again, and again, and again, and again, until you have the opportunity to learn what we’re throwing at you in the last level.” No, thank you. IMO, the more forgiving Famicom and TG16 ports really help the game shine.

On topic...I beat Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 last night. In fact, I completed it in every way, obtaining a gold star in level and beating the two hidden bosses. The final boss battle, and the two hidden boss battles are all pretty great. Unlike the rest of the bosses in the game, where you fire a mini-Mario at Donkey Kong from a cannon, those boss battles are variations on levels from the Donkey Kong arcade game. IMO, it was pretty cool sending mini-Marios, which you control only indirectly, up rafters, swinging hammers, and climbing ladders two or three at a time to beat Donkey Kong for good. Very manic and intense way to end a very solid game.

I’m continuing with Mario vs. Donkey Kong Minis March Again!, which is actually quite a bit different mechanically from its predecessor. I may be able to beat that by the end of the month too, which would put me halfway through the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:28 pm

King Kong 2 is done!

Alright game, reminds me a bit of Jackal, but with the inclusion of some adventure/RPG elements.

Not sure if said elements really help the game though; I think I would have preferred this had it been a more straightforward action title.

Definitely possesses that Konami goodness though.
marurun

by marurun Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:33 pm

I am a bit over halfway through Mini-land Mayhem. I have only been advancing once I get all the medals and trophies, because I am an idiot that way. There are like 3 special / challenge worlds or something as well, but I may have to settle simply for beating the game by the end of the month. It is hard to play a game!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:08 pm

One thing I noticed about these is that, when you hibernate the system, Mario yells something like, “See you later!” or “This is a fun game!” And, when you take it out of hibernation, he says something like, “Welcome back!” It really a nice touch.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:05 am

I officially gave up on Ape Escape tonight.

I have long contended that the PS1/Saturn/N64 generation of games has aged the worst, considerably more so than any other generation. This is due to a variety of factors. First off,(and least of all) are the horrible graphics. Where as older gens, like the nes, have a distinct visual style that is still very appealing, this gen is just hideous blocky pixelated graphics. I am not a graphics whore by any means and would easily be able to overlook the ugly graphics if the gameplay of this gen held up well, but unfortunately, it does not.

This is the gen that pioneered 3d games, and as such early 3d games had a whole host of problems including:

1) terrible cameras
2) clunky and awkward controls
3) horrible draw distances

Ape escape has all 3 of these problems in spades. Had I played it on release, as I always wanted to, I more than likely would have loved it. It has a lot going for it, cool gadgets, unique gameplay styles, a good sense of humor, monkeys, solid level design, but for all of its virtues it falls prey to the pitfalls of games of its time, and as such, it is completely unplayable in 2019 if you dont have nostalgia for it.

I may have to check out the ps2 ape escape, the game has tons of promise and ps2 games generally hold up much better.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:21 pm

I broke my Famicom marathon today. Played two Atari monkey games.

Got Congo Bongo in the mail this afternoon, rolled through several loops. This port attempts to recreate the arcade isometric view in the first stage. A valiant attempt, but it looks questionable. The second stage is flat and plays surprisingly well. And that's it.

Next up is Coconuts. A game I've owned for years but haven't touched until today. It was made by Telesys, one of those janky ass Atari-only developers who folded in 1983. Their most notable game was Fast Food, which is both incredibly stupid and awesome. Coconuts, on the other hand, blows. It features some impressively large sprites, but is oddly the most simplistic Atari 2600 game I've ever played. It's like Kaboom! in reverse. A monkey drops coconuts from a tree and you control a man that must avoid them. Points are gained per avoided nut, extra lives at 500 point increments. If the monkey hits you, he twitches. Looks like he's jackin' it. The game is fairly terrible, has some odd physics, and quickly gets impossibly fast. Avoid.
Return to Together Retro