marurun

Re: December Together Retro Poll

Post by marurun »

Galaga 88 is so damn fun.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I've actually never played 88. How different is it from classic Galaga? I guess I always just figured it was a graphical upgrade kinda deal.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

@Bone

I have the 2600 port, but I’ve never given it a shot. Do you know if it works on a 7800?

alienjesus wrote:Layer Section (Saturn)
R-Type (TG16)
UN Squadron (SNES)

I have beaten these, and they are all great. Layer Section is, amazingly, my seven-year-old son’s favorite game. He credit feeds the iOS port, which I recommend above the Saturn version. The mobile controls are fine, and the game is meant to be played in tate.

I might also give Lords of Thunder a shot. How hard is it?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I might also give Lords of Thunder a shot. How hard is it?

The Duo version is a bit tougher. The Sega CD version is pretty easy: I'm no expert at shmups and mostly breezed through. I also like the Sega CD version's soundtrack a bit better. Same tunes, but re-recorded in a way I prefer.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

MrPopo wrote:I'd say anything platforming is right out. Mercs, that's one of those auto scrolling top down games, right? I'd allow it, but I'd encourage you to only go that way if you really don't have any traditional shmups to play.

It's not auto-scrolling, but the only reason I ask is that there are other games that are considered shmups where you aren't forced to auto-scroll, or can change directions like Defender or Fantasy Zone. Then there's single-screen stuff, which obviously should count. In fact, I should play some Asteroids, since I've always loved that game.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'm not going to be super picky here. It's the end of the year, half the forum will go dark like it does. So just have some fun.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:@Bone

I have the 2600 port, but I’ve never given it a shot. Do you know if it works on a 7800?

alienjesus wrote:Layer Section (Saturn)
R-Type (TG16)
UN Squadron (SNES)

I have beaten these, and they are all great. Layer Section is, amazingly, my seven-year-old son’s favorite game. He credit feeds the iOS port, which I recommend above the Saturn version. The mobile controls are fine, and the game is meant to be played in tate.

I might also give Lords of Thunder a shot. How hard is it?

I've beaten Lords of Thunder and really liked it. It's pretty reasonable in difficulty but it's no pushover - it'll take some practice.

noise wrote:oh shit, y'know what just dawned on me? The Namco Museum on Switch has TATE mode. And my FlipGrip should be here soon. So Galaga or Galaga 88 are probably good ideas now that I think about it.

I also have the FlipGrip on order, so if it arrives here in a reasonable timeframe maybe I#ll download a couple of shmups from the eShop and play them in tate mode too.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:@Bone

Oh yes it does.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

MrPopo wrote:I'm not going to be super picky here. It's the end of the year, half the forum will go dark like it does. So just have some fun.

I'll probably still stick to real shmuppity shmups, regardless. Just curious in case I want to spice things up.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I'll definitely be playing Robo Aleste for this.

Maybe others afterward.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.