Shmuptacular
28%
Gotta Play 'em All: Pokémon Series
22%

Total votes : 46
MrPopo

December Together Retro Poll

by MrPopo Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:36 am

Someone just had to go ahead and remind me that the voting was supposed to start one week into the month, not two. So here we go, the last vote of the year for Together Retro 2018

Pre-90s CRPGs

This category covers all computer RPGs released before 1990. CRPGs of that era were incredibly instrumental to setting up the conventions of video game RPGs; chances are if you've experienced it in an RPG today it originated here. In this era we see Ultima, which begat Dragon Quest, and Wizadry, which begat weeb eroge harem Vita games. The games of this era are primitive, yet still have a surprising amount of depth. Those willing to overlook some old school user experiences will be blessed by some incredibly fun gameplay of making the numbers go up or down as appropriate. Many of the best entries can be had on GOG, and a fantastic resource for the genre can be found on The CRPG Addict's List of Games Played By Year. As long as it was on a personal computer it's fair game, so those of us who enjoy noodling on those early Japan PCs can go hog wild.

Games That Were Rebooted

You might have noticed over the last ten or so years that video game reboots have been the big thing. There was a series that was good, but then fell off the radar for one reason or another. You want to make a new game, and you want to grab some instant appeal. So go ahead and take that series and make a new game that's set at the beginning, completely tossing out the old chronology. Maybe you take some broad strokes, maybe you completely ignore everything and set it in space instead of with a time traveling Native American. Likely candidates will tend to have an ambiguous title that makes it impossible to figure out whether or not someone is talking about the original or the reboot. Some good choices in here are Tomb Raider, Turok, Prey, and Wolfenstein. There's definitely a judgement call with regards to whether something is a reboot or a remake. In general, if it feels like the game is telling a new "first" story in a series and doesn't have a sequel number then you're probably good to go.

16-bit Ultraman Games

That's right, I said games. There's actually two, but one is a reskin of the other. For those who don't know, Ultraman on the SNES is one of the finest fighting games ever created, and is based off of the Australian-produced English language Ultraman series. The engine was originally used in a Japanese game that was in the arcade and on the Genesis and SNES. The US SNES release is a much nicer reskin. Everyone owes it to themselves to play this gem.

Shmuptacular

This is a nice, simple one. Pick a shmup and play it. Bonus points if you grind out a 1cc. It's such a classic genre, now relegated to odd minigames in other titles. I can't make all of these descriptions super exciting, can I?

Gotta Play 'em All: Pokemon Series

It's come to my attention that some of the members here have never played a Pokemon game. I seek to rectify that. The child-friendly but still really deep RPG series has been going strong for decades, and has produced a huge amount of spin off media. Anime, movies, manga, non-RPG games, and giant Snorlax beanbags that kitties can sleep on. So even if you don't want to play one of the mainline titles, you can get your Pokemon Snap on and take all those pictures.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: December Together Retro Poll

by alienjesus Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:23 am

Just to be clear - the 'games that were rebooted' category is to play the original version of the game right? So the N64 Turok or the PS1/Saturn Tomb Raider? If a series was rebooted (e.g. Castlevania) can I play any game in that series pre-reboot, or only the original?

I've not voted yet, but potential ideas I've had of wjhat to play for each options:

Pre-90s CRPGs:
This is definitely a tough category for me as a dedicated console player. Some ideas I did have were Ultima IV or Miracle Warriors for Master System - sure, they're console ports, but the original games came out on the Apple II in 1985 and the PC-88 in 1986 respectively. I could also bend the rules a little perhaps and play Ultima: Runes of Virtue for Game Boy.

Games that were rebooted:
Some options I'm considering for this include: Turok, Devil May Cry, Shinobi (this series has been rebooted about 5 times, so pretty much any game works nicely), Golden Axe (Beast Rider was a reboot...), Castlevania or Goemon (they rebooted this on GBA). Does Goldeneye count because they rebooted the movies and then made games based on the rebooted movies? Is the GoldenEye remake more of a reboot? Seems like a tricky one.

16-bit Ultraman games:
If by some bizarre turn of events this wins, I won't be playing any of the Ultraman games, but instead I'll play one of the later entries in the 'Great Battle' series on Super Famicom, which Ultraman is a playable character in. They look a lot more fun.

Shmuptacular:
I have a bunch of shmups in the old backlog I could play through, including some classics: Layer Section (Saturn), Super SWIV (SNES), UN Squadron (SNES), Gate of Thunder (PCE), Side Arms Special (PCE), R-Type (TG16), Super Star Soldier (PCE), Gley Lancer (Wii VC - MD) and MUSHA (Wii VC - MD).

Gotta Play 'Em All: Pokémon series:
I love this choice, as a big fan of the series. Options I'm entertaining for this include: Pokemon Pinball Mini and Pokemon Tetris for the Pokemon Mini, Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia for the DS, Pokemon Conquest for the DS, Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire for GBA and Pokémon Stadium 2 for N64.

One thing I want to throw out there - even if you don't think you'll be a fan of the core Pokemon series of monster-catching RPGs, there's a ton of super fun games you can play outside of that which are still really enjoyable even without knowledge of the monsters themselves. Here's some ideas:

Pokemon Snap - a on-rails photography game where you have to frame good shots of Pokemon
Pokemon Puzzle League & Pokemon Puzzle Challenge - This is Tetris Attack/Puzzle League with a pokemon branding
Pokemon Pinball & Pokemon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire - Fun mission orientated pinball titles
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon - sickly sweet but accessible versions of the Mystery Dungeon roguelike franchise
Pokémon Conquest - A strategy RPG title featuring pokemon which is also a crossover with the Nobunaga's Ambition series
Pokémon Trozei/Link - A super fun and fast paced match 3 puzzle game
Pokemon Rumble series - mindless but fun button mashing dungeon crawlers - think Diablo-lite-lite-lite and you're maybe somewhere on the way?
Pokémon Trading Card Game - a consolized port of the TCG which is fun even without knowledge of pokemon
Learn With Pokémon Typing Adventure - A weird but unique and fun game where you type the names of Pokémon to catch them using a real keyboard.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:11 am

I'm voting for Pre-90s CRPGs because I could use a push to start playing Ultima V (though I don't know if I'll be able to finish in the month) and for Shmuptacular because I have too many neglected shmups!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:16 am

I voted for...

Pre-90s CRPGs = So much good stuff! Hard to pass this choice up.

Shmuptacular = I'm not a fan of TR choices that encapsulate entire genres without further distinction - however I'm always up for playing a retro shmup.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:28 am

I went with Games That Were Rebooted, just because it's kind of an interesting pool of games to dig through. Lots of variety there. And also Pokemon, because I haven't really played any Pokemon games in years. And again, there's some neat variety even if you don't wanna mess w/ a mainline game.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:18 pm

CRPGs and shmups for me. I don't like Pokémon much at all (*ducks for cover*).
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:29 pm

Just to be clear - the 'games that were rebooted' category is to play the original version of the game right? So the N64 Turok or the PS1/Saturn Tomb Raider? If a series was rebooted (e.g. Castlevania) can I play any game in that series pre-reboot, or only the original?

Yes, since we're going for retro you should be playing from the original series. Feel free to play anything in the original series as long as it otherwise meets the definition of retro we've been using. If you go Tomb Raider you also have an interesting choice; it was actually rebooted twice, so I'll allow playing the first reboot trilogy because it was then subsequently rebooted with the modern trilogy.
Shmuptacular = I'm not a fan of TR choices that encapsulate entire genres without further distinction - however I'm always up for playing a retro shmup.

It's specifically because it's this genre that I felt it was appropriate. The main evolutions in the overall genre is in the various subgenre developments (euroshmup, bullet hell) and those all are very much you either love them or hate them, so I didn't want people to feel shut out if their shmup genre of choice was the winner.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:31 pm

That decides my votes then - I went with Rebooted games and Pokemon, for the variety they offer.

Shmups I'd be fine with, but I'm not too big a fan of whole genres being themes - I think a broader theme that could include lots of types of game is the msot interesting :D
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:15 pm

I accidentality only voted for one of them since I was a tired dummy haha. Oh well, I ended up voting for Pokemon since I'm interested in the spin-offs. I would have also voted for rebooted games if I was more awake :lol:
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:06 pm

Went with Shmupspectacular for my first choice. Super R-Type or UN Squadron are needed Beats and this month would give me the gumption to actually beat them.

And Pokemon was my second choice. I have Pokemon Stadium 2 to beat, though that will be hard only with rentals...

Other choices, I would be skipping out on as I have nothing that fits those categories.
Return to Together Retro