Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ack

Re: October Together Retro: Golden Age of Survival Horror

by Ack Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:24 am

Fatal Frame wasn't based directly on a single story. The "Based on a True Story' is a misnomer, though aspects of it are based on real events and Japanese legends.

Anyway, I beat The Haunted Mansion over the weekend. I must give credit where credit is due; the game doesn't overstay its welcome, it presents a variety of challenges in its puzzles to test the player, and while the enemies are limited and combat becomes rote, room layouts and the variety of enemies change to keep you on your toes.

I'll put more thoughts down in the Games Beaten thread, but there are some interesting ways that this game pulls from other survival horror titles while still keeping itself relatively lighthearted. It's not a bad way to get someone who isn't so into horror games to try one out and be exposed to a wide variety of gameplay styles.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:47 am

Ack wrote:To get you started, here's a list of potential titles that I pre-approve:

Oh, man. There's a few on this list that I've been meaning to play for a while now. A few that stand out to me...

D, specifically for the Sega Saturn. I know it was released on other consoles, but for some reason I always think of it as a Sega Saturn game. I just remember seeing it in GamePro and such, and I always thought it looked like it had really cool atmosphere. A few years ago I got the DOS version on GoG, I even have it installed already. It's a slower paced game though, right?

The Thing (PS2) - Back when this game came out, I had a friend that bought a copy even though he didn't own a PS2. He brought it over my house so he could play it on my PS2 lol. So I watched him play a fair bit of it. It always seems pretty cool, and I love the movie. I picked up a copy for myself a few years back, and I've been meaning to play it ever since.

The X-Files: Resist or Serve (PS2) - I've always liked the TV series. The PS2 seemed to have a lot of this sort of thing, too. This game was written by a writer from the TV show, and it had voice acting by the show's actors. I know the game received "mixed" reviews, but I always wanted to give it a go just because I'm a fan of the show. I picked up a copy a few years back, but again, haven't played it yet.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (GCN) - Sanity Effects and Nintendo published? I've yet to dive into the survival horror genre, but this one always stood out to me for obvious reason. Yet another game that I picked up a copy of a few years back but haven't gotten around to playing yet. See a trend? Don't look at my Backloggery, it's pitiful.

Luigi's Mansion (GCN) - OK, this one I've actually played, but I've never beaten it. I think I've started a new save file 2 or 3 times now. I've beaten Dark Moon, but for whatever reason I've never finished the original Luigi's Mansion. I really should though, especially now that a third one is coming to the Switch!

Resident Evil - I've always wanted to get into the pre-4 Resident Evils. Long story short, I picked up the HD remaster of the first Resident Evil when it was on sale on Steam last month, with anticipation of playing it this month. I fired it up yesterday and was playing a bit of it. I like the game just fine, but I always felt lie there was something that just didn't click with me. I'm not a fan of the whole limited amount of saves thing. I'm more of a neurotic type that likes to save often, so knowing that I can't spam the save function always kinda puts me off.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

Mod & Repair Services - For Racketboy members only. I can mod and repair items, build custom items, and more!
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:09 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:D, specifically for the Sega Saturn. {...] It's a slower paced game though, right?

It's really more sort of an adventure game, but yeah, the screen updating as you move through the facilities is pretty slow, and the main gameplay aspect is the puzzles. I thought it was all right. It only takes a couple hours to finish. I remember it having multiple endings, and I think they're all basically determined by a decision made at the very end of the game.

Ziggy587 wrote:Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (GCN). Sanity Effects and Nintendo published?

I actually played through all of the paths for that game, and I'd probably call it more of a survival horror-lite. If you really like Lovecraft, you'll probably be pretty happy with it. I thought it was kind of cool, but not quite as good as its reputation. If time traveling won for next month's TR, then this game could pull double-duty, though. Anyway, I feel like it's more of a Lovecraft-y action game, and not very scary, nor as creepy as some other games. Although there is one jump-scare that still haunts my nightmares, but It can technically be missed.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:30 pm

pierrot wrote:It's really more sort of an adventure game, but yeah, the screen updating as you move through the facilities is pretty slow, and the main gameplay aspect is the puzzles. I thought it was all right. It only takes a couple hours to finish. I remember it having multiple endings, and I think they're all basically determined by a decision made at the very end of the game.

Well I knew it was more of a point and click. But yeah, holy shit, it really does chug when moving around. That's good to know that it's relatively short, gives me more incentive to play it.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

Mod & Repair Services - For Racketboy members only. I can mod and repair items, build custom items, and more!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:51 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Luigi's Mansion (GCN) - OK, this one I've actually played, but I've never beaten it. I think I've started a new save file 2 or 3 times now. I've beaten Dark Moon, but for whatever reason I've never finished the original Luigi's Mansion.

Just a little heads up to 3DS owners:

The original Luigi's Mansion has been ported (with some improvements) to the 3DS. It releases on October 12th:

https://www.amazon.com/Luigis-Mansion-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B07BBCS15Z
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:35 pm

I'm definitely late arriving to this thread this month, but first I just wanted to say how great it is to see you guys playing Koudelka this month! I just played it for the first time last month, and had a good time with it. It's really has a great sense of tone, setting, and characterization. The story develops slowly, but by the end of it you'll have a good handle on it. Don't forget to read any diaries and letters you pick up! I felt like these few bits of written materials provided a great source of story development. I did wish that the combat had been built out a bit more though. As opposed to the common complaint that combat is a bit slow though, I actually wish they had built it out a bit more. They moved vaguely in the direction of tactical RPG mechanics, but ... just kind of left it there. It would have been cool to see different elevations utilized in combat, flanking maneuvers, cover mechanics, that sort of thing. At any rate, it's nice to see this hidden gem getting some love!

For my part I just finished up Silent Hill 2 over the weekend. This is a game I've played before at some length, enough to see all the various endings, but I'd not played it for a number of years. This time around I played the PC port though, due to the fact that I've been very curious to check out the Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition mod pack. This mod pack has really been generating some buzz, to the point that some were calling it 'the definitive version' of the game. Now I'm not much for buying into hyperbole, but claiming a new 'definitive version' of one of my all-time favorite games was more than enough to pique my interest. Long story short, I've had this bad boy installed for months. But playing Silent Hill 2 in the middle of July just doesn't set the right tone, ya know? No, I've been saving this one for the perfect time of year, when I could really sink my teeth into it.

I'm really glad that I waited, and I've been quite pleased with the mods. In point of fact though, many aspects of this mod pack are simply restorative, aiming to restore the quality of effects found in the PS2 release (fog effects, DVD quality music, better controller support, PC bug fixes and so forth). There are some quality of life enhancements present as well such as widescreen support and enhanced textures. I'm not sure I'm fully ready to call this the 'definitive edition' of Silent Hill 2, but it's quite an improvement over the hastily banged together HD Collection release. I'd definitely be willing to declare this as the definitive version of Silent Hill 2 on PC even over emulated means of play.

I'll post up some additional thoughts on Silent Hill 2 at some point soon, but long story short, I feel like this one holds up quite well. It's a masterwork of effective narrative design in games.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:Luigi's Mansion (GCN) - OK, this one I've actually played, but I've never beaten it. I think I've started a new save file 2 or 3 times now. I've beaten Dark Moon, but for whatever reason I've never finished the original Luigi's Mansion.

Just a little heads up to 3DS owners:

The original Luigi's Mansion has been ported (with some improvements) to the 3DS. It releases on October 12th:

https://www.amazon.com/Luigis-Mansion-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B07BBCS15Z

Whoa, thanks for the heads up! I just preordered it.

Ack

by Ack Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:53 pm

Hey null, it's great to hear that the big mod pack release for Silent Hill 2 is standing up so well. I was disappointed with all the problems of the HD collection, so it's nice seeing the fans tackle the issues in the PC release. I look forward to hearing more about SH2, it's enhancements, and how they shaped your thoughts on this most recent run through.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:54 pm

I just got about halfway into Silent Hill 2 myself today. It's another replay for me but this is the first time I'm playing the Xbox version, so I'll check out Maria's scenario too. Also playing with some new headphones which is leveling up the experience even more, though I need to get an amplifier in soon so I can turn up the volume more (my HDTV just has a fixed volume with wired headphones). I looked into the PC mod version null talked about it and it does look pretty neat. I still think the base game looks amazing as is though and cleaning up horror games can sometimes diminish things, but the restoration looks pretty faithful. Anything is better than the HD release and those nasty new dubs.

I did some digging up on my history of the series.

Beat in 2013:
1. Silent Hill
2. Silent Hill 2
3. Silent Hill 3

2014:
1. Silent Hill 4
(then beat all the later ones)

2015:
1. Silent Hill 3
2. Silent Hill 2

So I guess this is my third replay of SH2 already. It continues to blow me away every time. I loaded up my SH3 game today and have more of the goofy unlocks than I predicted, like the Unlimited Machine Gun, some outfits, the Magical Girl transformation outfit, etc. I might replay SH3 too since I can knock that one out in mere hours, probably even faster if I play with some of the unlockables just for fun. But I also really want to replay 4, which I now have on the Xbox too so I can check that version out. And I think about replaying the original too, it would be nice to get these all up on my How Long To Beat records. That's my favorite new excuse for replaying games I love.

Seriously though, I love SH4 and hope to see more fans of it someday. Can't wait to hit that one up again soon.

I think they all have their perks:

Silent Hill 1 = darkest most hellish venture and vibes, very evil, set the blueprints
Silent Hill 2 = best characters, really dense and heavy experience, rather depressing but melancholic too
Silent Hill 3 = perfects the gameplay up to this point, incredible monster designs, the hellscape Otherworld of SH1 truly brought to life on new tech
Silent Hill 4 = incredible story/mystery/concepts, might be the weirdest (in a good way) game I ever play in my time, insanely creative experience

Ziggy587 wrote:Resident Evil - I've always wanted to get into the pre-4 Resident Evils. Long story short, I picked up the HD remaster of the first Resident Evil when it was on sale on Steam last month, with anticipation of playing it this month. I fired it up yesterday and was playing a bit of it. I like the game just fine, but I always felt lie there was something that just didn't click with me. I'm not a fan of the whole limited amount of saves thing. I'm more of a neurotic type that likes to save often, so knowing that I can't spam the save function always kinda puts me off.

If you're playing on a default/lower difficulty, the game hands out quite a chunk of Ink Ribbons. You'll probably have loads by the end if you keep at it. Ultimately the game isn't super crazy long and kind of a 3D Metroidvania in a lot of ways. I wouldn't stress about this too much or let it prevent you from playing. Just make sure to store them in the chests.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Whoa, thanks for the heads up! I just preordered it.

Cool. I've had it preordered for a while myself. Should be a good counterpart to Dark Moon.

Xeogred wrote:So I guess this is my third replay of SH2 already

Wow... I haven't played Silent Hill 2 even once. Which is a bit silly, considering I've known so many people in real life, and internet life, who've beaten SH2 and adored it. Even my own brother has.

I guess what's stopped me so far, is my utter disdain for SH1. It just doesn't agree with me. When I finish Fatal Frame, I plan to give Silent Hill 2 an honest try next. I hope that I find it as enjoyable as so many other people do.

Edit:

I beat this tonight:

I liked Fatal Frame cerebrally more than I did mechanically. That is to say the experience was more interesting than its moment to moment execution. The combat wasn't so hot, and the backtracking was annoying, but the plot, atmosphere, and overall concept is commendable. I enjoyed it overall. ( More thoughts here. )

And so it's Silent Hill 2 next for me.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to Together Retro