Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: October Together Retro: Golden Age of Survival Horror

by noiseredux Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:00 pm

Haunted Mansion is fun. Poor man's Luigi's Mansion is a perfect desription.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:19 pm

Huh, I had no idea that Koudelka fell into the list.

Guess I will be participating in the Month this time.

My time with Koudelka has been up and down. At first, I absolutely loved the game and thought it was incredibly unique. Then, I got confused by it and I didn't know why strange things were happening. Then, I understood the intricacies of the game and how best to develop my characters, so now I'm back to enjoying it.

I have a weak stomach, so I don't do horror games all that much. However, I LOVE the Victorian Gothic aesthetic and Koudelka has that tremendously. I love the world of the game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:35 pm

Markies wrote:Koudelka

Good choice. Koudelka is a horror JRPG well worth playing, as others can attest. Its downside is a slow combat system using mechanics that weren't entirely suitable to its format. Getting beyond (or coming to enjoy) the game's combat system is well worth the effort. I loved the game's plot, characters, atmosphere, monsters, and CGs. I will warn there's some rough stuff in the gore department towards the end. Koudelka's stealth-sequel Shadow Hearts is super great and well worth playing as well.

-

My time with Fatal Frame is still going well. Backtracking around the mansion gets to be a bit tedious, but everything else is keeping me interested. The plot is intriguing, the puzzles are decent, and exorcising creepy ghosts via the camera obscura hasn't stopped being fun yet.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:32 pm

Exhuminator wrote:Koudelka's stealth-sequel Shadow Hearts is super great and well worth playing as well.

First of all, thank you for the warning about the Gore. I will definitely be on my toes about that this weekend.

Shadow Hearts is the main reason I am playing Koudelka. I really want to get into that series, so I had to play the semi-prequel first. Once you get used to the pace in Koudelka and actually style your character into how the game wants you to play them, then it is very enjoyable.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:34 am

Meanwhile, back at Spencer Mansion...

I'm making some pretty good progress on the early game. Let's see... I got the map of the 2nd floor, got the armor key. I've been making sure to set as many zombies on fire as I can. I did have to deal with a crimson head which can be a bit stressful compared to the typical zombies. On the flip, there are some zombies (the one above the dining room) that I just don't even bother with. He's so easy to evade and get plenty of space between that eh, why mess with him?

I have to admit that the dog collar section sort of made me nervous. It's stupid because I ended up blasting the first dog that approached me with a single shot, snatching his collar and hauling ass back into the mansion like it was no big deal. But it took me a few minutes of getting myself psyched up to do it haha. Also, now when I go thru that hallway the remaining dogs are apparently like charging the metal door. They can't get in if I remember correctly, but this is one of those audio cues that does kind of trigger some anxiety. The game is damn good at that.

I'm trying really hard not to use saves often. The whole ink ribbon thing is still a bit annoying to me. Mostly because it means that once I get to a convenient spot to use one, I just stop playing for the night because I don't want to make more progress and have to use a second one. I think I've used 3 ribbons already on this playthrough. I don't actually remember how many ribbons are ultimately available in the game - I think it's upwards of thirty or something? That said I'm trying to keep in mine that this is probably a ~10 hour game, so even using one per hour would be fairly conservative. I think I have six or seven left in my inventory right now.

Anyway, I left off on the part where I need to backtrack to the medical supply room to get the snake venom serum.
Ack

by Ack Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:43 am

I mentioned earlier that I have been playing Disney's The Haunted Mansion for PlayStation 2. I described it as a poor man's Luigi's Mansion, and after continuing to play a bit more, yeah, that feels about right. The basic premise is that you're tasked with collecting 999 souls into a lantern while traversing the various rooms of the titular haunted mansion.

That said, there are some mechanics that make the game interesting and fun. For one thing, each new room you enter has a puzzle, many of which are unique. In one room, I had to get a poltergeist to smash bottles of booze until enough wine was spilled to move a grease fire to a stove. In another, the walls moved around me, so I had to navigate a maze while being unable to see all of the twists and turns. In a third, I had to climb and hop across flying furniture to reach the light switch. These are just some of the puzzles I've encountered. The ultimate goal here is to turn on the lights in each room, thus driving out most of the evil spirits around, making the protagonist braver, and enabling the collection of the shriveled souls that I need to unlock magic barriers and advance.

I mention bravery, and it's an important mechanic, because bravery is your health. Run out, and the hero, a mousy little guy named Zeke, will be scared to death. What really makes things interesting is that Zeke is automatically scared in dark rooms, so his max health shrinks whenever he's somewhere that the lights have not been turned on. Once said lights are on, Zeke gets braver, and his max health doubles in size. This helps significantly, as though there are fewer monsters and evil spirits, they will still show up to try and ruin your day until you've collected all of the possible souls in a room.

So, not only do you have a protagonist who is visibly scared, you also get a lot of nice little touches, such as loading screens that transform to show horror-themed imagery, or ghosts based upon characters from the actual Haunted Mansion ride from Disney. If you're a big fan of Disney, I suppose this is probably quite good news. I'm not a big fan, but it's still interesting to see how they use it, especially compared to how the Haunted Mansion was handled in Adventures in the Magic Kingdom on the NES. This is a totally different experience, and a much better one in my opinion; you're not only getting combat and platforming puzzles, you're also getting a wide variety of gameplay styles. One of the most inventive? I was shrunk onto a billiards table and forced to make a spirit sink everything in a twisted take on 9-ball while he was trying to hit me with the cue ball.

Is it scary in the way that something like Resident Evil or Silent Hill is? No, definitely not. This is a kid's game, after all. But it does make for a fun action title for someone who wouldn't be into those.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:23 pm

Markies wrote:Huh, I had no idea that Koudelka fell into the list.

Guess I will be participating in the Month this time.

My time with Koudelka has been up and down. At first, I absolutely loved the game and thought it was incredibly unique. Then, I got confused by it and I didn't know why strange things were happening. Then, I understood the intricacies of the game and how best to develop my characters, so now I'm back to enjoying it.

I have a weak stomach, so I don't do horror games all that much. However, I LOVE the Victorian Gothic aesthetic and Koudelka has that tremendously. I love the world of the game.

I will also be playing Koudelka this month, so I look forward to seeing your thoughts.

Keep those spoiler tags to hand though!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:43 pm

I'm about halfway done with Fatal Frame if HLTB is to be believed. This crappy rappy expresses my experience so far:

put on my skirt and my blouse
then I grabbed my camera yo
walked a dirt road to a haunted house
wishin' I could find my bro

place be creepy twistin'
all the ghosts be hatin'
but I ain't fazed by victims
of a shinto rope maiden

the ghosts be kinda weak
'cause they super camera shy
one snap and they freak
I... still don't know why

I'm solvin' puzzles at night
eatin' drugs readin' death notes
I'm solvin' puzzles left 'n right
takin' photos of undead folks

no bathrooms here but maybe a mirror
will break the curse if it's found
rope marks on my wrists just appeared
hope my bro's not as dead as he sounds
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

by Ack Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Yeah, that sounds like Fatal Frame. How's your ghost list coming along?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:07 pm

Ack wrote:How's your ghost list coming along?

I've noticed that when you take pictures of non-aggressive ghosts, the photo is named like "man walking up stairs" or some such. But when I take photos of aggressive ghosts, those photos aren't always named. I'm assuming there's an aggregation going on in a menu somewhere, that will have these ghosts listed like a trophy hunt? After I beat the game I'll see how many I snapped. Some of the non-aggressive ghosts are very difficult to capture on film. The game only gives you about one or two seconds sometimes. I have noticed if you managed to snap a picture of a non-aggressive ghost before it disappears, you get a massive point boost for doing so. (Points are used to upgrade your camera.)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to Together Retro