Horror RPGs
24%
Warhammer 40,000
10%

Total votes: 58

Ack

October Together Retro Poll

Post by Ack »

Greetings, mortals! It is I, Ack, your loving cannibal god. I come bearing gifts...OF DOOM! For now you must choose your wicked fate for our October campaign of Together Retro. And this month, the selections are simply to die for:

Horror Point-and-Click

"This must be the master bedroom. Interesting decor. There is a stale smell about this room, as if it hadn't been opened for years."
- Uninvited

Point. Click. Simple times brought us simple games...or so we thought. Though the interface is simple enough, the point-and-click genre has stood for brain-bending puzzles which torture and excite us. The mysteries tease us to pursue them, and yet some mysteries are better left alone. Do you dare to enter worlds where human minds should dare not venture and encounter realities that even the strongest of wills could never comprehend? Then point. And click.

Game suggestions: Uninvited, Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet, Dark Seed, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Shadowgate, Phantasmagoria, The 7th Guest, Mansion of Hidden Souls, Harvester, Clocktower, Sanitarium, The Legacy: Realm of Terror

Licensed Horror Games

"Use the torch to light the fireplaces."
- Friday the 13th

We often rail against licensed video games, as if they were some kind of affront to existence. Not so, I say! In the days before survival horror became a legitimate offering on its own, licensed titles based on horror movies and franchises were sometimes the only way to get your fill of thrills. This was an era when an R-rated action or horror film could get both a Saturday morning cartoon and a complete toy line...as well as a breakfast cereal. I miss the rampant consumerism of my childhood. We should honor days long dead and gone.

Game suggestions: Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Gremlins 2, Friday the 13th, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Warlock, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick, The Evil Dead, Sweet Home, Fright Night, Jaws, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

The Golden Age of Survival Horror

"Welcome back to the world of survival horror."
- Resident Evil

It's hard to say no to the classics. The Golden Age of the survival horror genre is framed entirely around Resident Evil, beginning with the 1996 release of the original and ending with the more action-packed Resident Evil 4's release in 2005. What followed was a sea change for the genre, but for a decade there, we ended up with games that not only presented horrific material, they actually fought us as players. Poor controls. Fixed camera angles. Limited resources, even for saving. Those were good days.

Game suggestions: Resident Evil 1-3 (and Code Veronica), Silent Hill 0-4, Fatal Frame, Overblood, Dino Crisis, Martian Gothic: Unification, Illbleed, Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, Echo Night, Carrier, The Ring: Terror's Realm, Countdown: Vampires

Horror RPGs

"Fools! Those who defile my home shall feel my wrath!!"
- Ichirō Mamiya

We have played RPGs several times so far this year. I see no reason to stop. But now I want you to bleed for those levels, make tough decisions about whether you should try to heal with limited resources or push on and hope, and consider if it was worth it to sacrifice a party member merely to see the next dungeon room. Can you survive?

I think not.

Game suggestions: Parasite Eve, Gorky 17, Koudelka, Sweet Home, King's Field, Shadow Tower, Shadow Hearts, MegaTen, Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession, Ravenloft: Stone Prophet, Pathologic, Diablo

Warhammer 40,000

"Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand know that you have no right to let them live."
- Exterminatus Extremis

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war. And yet you cowards sit here and dither about as if strategy games do not exist. Well, now you will have to fall to your knees and pray to your god emperor to deliver you unto righteous glory. Select this option, and I shall be your commissar as you learn the ways of Eldar, of Chaos, of Ork and Tyranid...and then you annihilate them from whole worlds until we all can look across an empty universe and exclaim "EXTERMINATUS." All glory to the emperor!

Game suggestions: Final Liberation, Space Hulk, Rites of War, Chaos Gate, Dawn of War, Fire Warrior, Squad Command, Space Crusade

RULES

You get to select two options. That's it.

You can choose once. There will be no changing of votes later.

The poll is up for a week. That is all.

Blood sacrifices are due on the first Thursday of the month.

You can rationalize your game choices all you want. But I am an angry god. If I dislike the games you choose to play, I'm deleting your posts or moving them out of TR. Why? Because I said so. Now, if you are creative and entertain me, I may allow some messing about...or not. It depends upon my mood that day. Why am I a jerk? Because I am an angry god. An angry, asshole god.

I only accept Visa.

There will be no complaining about my rules. See the angry, asshole god part.

I decide all ties.

Are you still reading this section? Go play a game!
marurun

Re: October Together Retro Poll

Post by marurun »

I am SO glad you have October. So, so glad...
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

marurun wrote:I am SO glad you have October. So, so glad...

+1

My votes are cast...
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

F: All of the above.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:You can choose once. There will be no changing of votes later.

Thank you. This really should be the standard going forward.

-

I'm all for "The Golden Age of Survival Horror" or "Horror RPGs".

Very appropriate themes for October.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

The Emperor commands:
THY ALL SHALL VOTE FOR WARHAMMER 40K!!!!!
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Does anyone else get a bit of a Crypt Keeper vibe from the OP?

Ack wrote:Image

I see you defacing the artwork of these timeless treasure, Gorilla-Dan. You can't pull the wool over my eyes, you cheeky monkey.

I've already beaten it, so it's not really that important to me, personally, but are you likely to allow something like Grim Fandango in the point-and-click category, or is it not "horror" enough?
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Horror RPG's gets my vote.

I own Koudelka and that is the only Unfinished game I have that really fits the choices.

I have RE4 and Silent Hill, but I have already played and beaten those.

I am rather squeamish, so I pick and choose my horror.
Ack

Post by Ack »

pierrot wrote:I've already beaten it, so it's not really that important to me, personally, but are you likely to allow something like Grim Fandango in the point-and-click category, or is it not "horror" enough?

I don't feel it's horror enough, but I also have a couple of ulterior motives:

1. We played Grim Fandango for Together Retro in the past. I don't think we should return to it so soon.

2. Grim Fandango may well be the pinnacle of the point-and-click genre...and I want folks to play something else. The second best point-and-click in the year Grim Fandango came out? Sanitarium. Who here has played Sanitarium? Who here even remembers it? It's worth going back to. I encourage folks to dig beyond the big names and find the deep cuts. I even debated not allowing Resident Evil or Silent Hill in the Golden Age of Survival Horror option just to get folks to explore more...but I relented because there are a bunch of them, so hopefully folks will gravitate to entries that they haven't tried before.

In short, play new things! And horror games are even better when they're new to folks because they're unknown. And people are scared of the unknown. And I love it when everyone is scared.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Markies wrote:I own Koudelka and that is the only Unfinished game I have that really fits the choices.

Koudelka is a very good survival horror / JRPG hybrid. I beat it myself a few years ago. I recommend playing it regardless of the outcome of this TR's poll.

Ack wrote:Who here has played Sanitarium? Who here even remembers it?

I've played it, I remember it, and I remember when you beat it. I played Sanitarium myself back in 2000. I remember being annoyed at its erratic load times, and how often the game spun up my PC's disc drive. So I quit playing it because of those technical annoyances. Fast forward to modern times; I'm sure the digital GOG version alleviates those issues.
Last edited by Exhuminator on Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.