Join in on our classic gaming club!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Aug Together Retro: Animal Main Characters

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:33 pm

Klonoa games look pretty neat, but I've literally never stumbled across one in the wild. Think I have one via PSN though.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:11 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Klonoa games look pretty neat, but I've literally never stumbled across one in the wild. Think I have one via PSN though.

I’ve beaten the first two games. They are both sharp platformers, and I recommend them. Surprisingly, however, the first game has probably the most nihilistic ending of all time...

For those unafraid of spoilers, here’s an article on that topic:

http://gameological.com/2012/05/well-al ... index.html
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:23 pm

I've beaten the first Klonoa and really enjoyed it. I did have a lot of trouble nearer to the end of the game, but I still liked it enough to push though to the end (which is a bit rare for me and plaformers). Too bad a physical copy is incredibly pricy.

As for what I'll be playing, the two games I'm definitely planning to play are Dog's Life and The Dog Island. I might also play 102 Dalmatians: Puppies to the Rescue and Okami depending on how much time I have. I wasn't originally planning on going with a dog theme, but I think it kind of fits with the "dog days of summer" so I decided to go with it haha.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:50 pm

After I finish up Dragon Warrior IV, my next game to play is Super Monkey Ball.

So, hopefully, I should be able to participate in this Month.

Also, expect the September Together Retro Poll show up some time Sunday Evening(CST). I am hoping to choose some different categories and I think you will all like them. I would have wanted to post it sooner, but I have a video game convention on Saturday and playing Board Games all day on Sunday. :D
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:52 pm

I have a pretty neat game I've been saving for this month, but my attempts to get it running yesterday failed. I'll spend today working on it, and either post some early thoughts on the game, or frustrations at not getting it to run. :lol:
ConsoleHandheldGamer
16-bit

by ConsoleHandheldGamer Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:42 pm

Is it ok for me to join in? I'd love to play through Solatorobo!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:13 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Klonoa games look pretty neat, but I've literally never stumbled across one in the wild.

I forgot to mention this one:

Kaze no Klonoa: Moonlight Museum on WonderSwan
It has a mostly-complete English fan translation.

laurenhiya21 wrote:I've beaten the first Klonoa and really enjoyed it. Too bad a physical copy is incredibly pricy.

I was going to recommend the Wii remake as a cheaper alternative to the PS1 original, but I see now that even disc-only copies are hitting $30. Yeesh. Luckily I bought my copy many years ago when it was just $20 brand new. The Wii version is one of the games I'm considering playing this month.

laurenhiya21 wrote:As for what I'll be playing, the two games I'm definitely planning to play are Dog's Life and The Dog Island.

I will personally vouch for Dog's Life, I think that game's fun and it made me laugh quite a bit. I watched my daughter play both it and The Dog Island years ago. I didn't much care for The Dog Island, but I was hardly the demographic to be fair.

I've got mixed feelings on Okami. I played it back in 2007, and lost interest midway. It started out fun, but the middle really drags. I've still got my PS2 copy though. I'm willing to give it another shot someday. For this month though I'm looking at shorter games. Okami is almost forty hours long.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:14 pm

ConsoleHandheldGamer wrote:Is it ok for me to join in? I'd love to play through Solatorobo!

Of course! Please do! :D
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:11 pm

The Wii Klonoa is really good. I played through it a few years back. It made up for my never finding a PSX copy. I do have Klonoa 2, thankfully. It might be worth hitting up Dream Champ Tournament or whatever it's called. I 100%-ed the first GBA game. I don't see doing that with the second, though; there are some really tough auto-scrolling stages (on a surfboard, I think?). Not tough to get through, but tough to actually collect everything.

Solatorobo is a game I want to like more. It's got character in spades. Really, I loved what they were trying to do. Unfortunately, I think the core gameplay is a little too simple, so it could get boring. I'd still recommend checking it out, though! Folks might love it more than I did. (And to be clear, I still think it's a good game.)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:05 am

Sarge wrote:The Wii Klonoa is really good.

I put two hours into it tonight, and I'm inclined to agree... so far. I'm now on stage 10 out of 14 stages (if I understand the world layout correctly). The Wii version has very nice graphics and tight controls. So far it's been super easy though, no challenge at all. Maybe that will change towards the end, but this game seems targeted towards young children.

Solatorobo

I'm interested in this, but am hesitant to play it for this TR. It's only eight years old, so not quite old enough to be "retro" by my personal definition. And I still need to beat its predecessor first. (Which I may just do for this TR.) But it's certainly an ideal candidate for handheld gamers.

I'm wondering if anyone's going to play this:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to Together Retro