July Together Retro: Nintendo Virtual Boy Exclusives

Join in on our classic gaming club!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

July Together Retro: Nintendo Virtual Boy Exclusives

Post by dsheinem »

(longer post coming tonight)

This month we are playing Virtual Boy exclusives! Post your experiences below...

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: July Together Retro: Nintendo Virtual Boy Exclusives

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm in!

Right now I'm playing the original Wario Land on Game Boy (which I've never played) but as soon as I finish I'll hop on Virtual Boy Wario Land.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

I'm primarily playing Wario Land and Teleroboxer and if i manage to beat both i'm open to sugestions, reality boy emulator runs great and with the famous red palette but VBjin seems a great choice as well.
Is Teleroboxer a punch out clone?

Edit: Vbjin, is by far the best emulator, thank you Exhuminator once again for the tip! It's a pitty it runs pink and blue

Edit 2: After some heavy testing and finally playing, Mednafen is without any doubt the best emulator for Virtual Boy, it's my first time using it but with it's MedGuiR the interface is complex but perfect, the games saves correctly, sounds great and no visual glitches in both games i tried.
First time playing a Wario game and i already love it, the gameplay is very polished and sprite-work is great, it plays A LOT diferently than any Mario, to my surprise, i beat the first boss and i can't wait to play more.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

lordb0rb4 wrote:It's a pitty it runs pink and blue

When Vbjin starts up initially, it's in 3D mode. The pink and blue works with off the shelf red & blue 3D glasses, so that you can play emulated Virtual Boy games with a simulated 3D effect. It works well.

However, if you don't want to play using the 3D effect, you can disable either channel and play the games in 2D. ( View -> Video Display -> Left (or Right) Only ) This will get rid of the blue or pink channel respectively.

-

The first game I'll check out is Wario Land at some point. I also plan to try out Teleroboxer and Vertical Force eventually. (I'm a little busy with something else presently.) Looking forward to seeing what folks play here, and what everyone thinks of one of Nintendo's oddest ideas.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Late to the party, but I used Mednafen for the first time this year when I was derping around with some PC Engine stuff. It's glorious.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I used Mednafen for the first time this year when I was derping around with some PC Engine stuff. It's glorious.

lordb0rb4 wrote:Mednafen is without any doubt the best emulator for Virtual Boy, it's my first time using it but with it's MedGuiR the interface is complex but perfect, the games saves correctly, sounds great and no visual glitches in both games i tried.

If you guys are going to use Mednafen, don't use the old MedGuiR, use MedGuiR Reborn.

And by all means dudes, use whatever emulator you like best! For the record though; VBjin saves correctly, sounds great, and has no visual glitches in any VB games I've tried either.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Many of those emulator front-ends also have mednafen cores, so you can use them through a more familiar interface.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

I'm going to California tomorrow (Disneyland and otters wooo!) so I'm going to be a little late to the party, but I'm planning on looking at Innsmouth no Yakata, Wario Land, and Jack Bros. I have not played any Virtual Boy games before, so this should be interesting.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Tried Jack Bros.. Died a few times. I need a better setup than what I'm using right now. For some reason, I couldn't get VBJin to play nice with the color modes; I also tried Red Alarm and no matter what setting I chose, it showed both red and blue. :(

Maybe I should get some 3D glasses, though.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

You guys are killing me. Image

To use VBjin without the 3D effect (i.e. 2D), you can disable the left or right display, or just check "Mix Left & Right View" plus "Both":

If that isn't working something's wonky with your DirectX files or your video card drivers.

Last year I beat Jack Bros. in 3D using VBjin. I used red & blue 3D glasses. It worked like a charm.

To use VBjin with the 3D effect, use these settings:

VBjin works perfect for me. But Mednafen is there if VBjin is too hard.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.