Fan Translations
17%
Beat-'Em-Ups
26%

Total votes : 65
SpaceBooger

Re: Together Retro - June

by SpaceBooger Tue May 15, 2018 8:36 pm

For those who don't emulate there is the awesome fanmade Streets of Rage Remake for the PC. SEGA squashed it, but the most recent version (5.1) is easy to find and quite awesome.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 15, 2018 9:32 pm

laurenhiya21 wrote:I kind of forgot that MAME could be an option. I might check out some of the options on there, especially since I have little experience with Arcade games.

In MAMEUI32 you can sort by Genre > Brawl and find tons of beat 'em ups... if you've got a lot of ROMs loaded in it at least.

---

Funny I never would have considered Ninja Gaiden to be a beat 'em up, but I guess I can see where you guys are coming from on that one.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue May 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Agree with you regarding the NES and Xbox games. The arcade original is 100% beat ‘em up, however.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue May 15, 2018 9:57 pm

Exhuminator wrote:Funny I never would have considered Ninja Gaiden to be a beat 'em up, but I guess I can see where you guys are coming from on that one.

My man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsQG8QDU1c0
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 15, 2018 10:06 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:Funny I never would have considered Ninja Gaiden to be a beat 'em up, but I guess I can see where you guys are coming from on that one.

My man.

I assumed you guys were talking about the NES version.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue May 15, 2018 10:07 pm

Yeah, some confusion since there are so many different versions of "Ninja Gaiden". Arcade original is definitely one. I'd be willing to let games like the XBOX one slide, too.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:

My man.

I assumed you guys were talking about the NES version.

Nah, the arcade one is actually the first game in the series, hence why I called it the "original" -- I should have clarified though, given the fact that there are several different games called Ninja Gaiden. Also, the arcade game was essentially released in tandem with the Famicom game - they even share the same promotional artwork. Tecmo was trying to cover all bases here I guess.

"No one" really played the game after its initial arcade run because it had shit ports (home computer conversions, and the Lynx). It was on the Wii VC, which is the best "official" way to experience it today.

Tecmo did something kinda similar with Rygar -- the arcade game had oddball ports (again, the damn Lynx) and the NES game was an entirely different beast.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue May 15, 2018 10:24 pm

A note...you can also unlock the Ninja Gaiden arcade game in Ninja Gaiden Black (Xbox). It is a lot of work, though.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue May 15, 2018 10:36 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:A note...you can also unlock the Ninja Gaiden arcade game in Ninja Gaiden Black (Xbox). It is a lot of work, though.

How much work?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 15, 2018 10:40 pm

I spent some time going through my collection of games and I've found about thirty different candidates for this TR. I hope to beat at least five of those. God Hand and Viewtiful Joe 2 are the only ones I'm afraid of.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to Together Retro