17%
Beat-'Em-Ups
26%

Total votes : 65
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro - June

by Nemoide Tue May 15, 2018 3:41 pm

Beat-em-ups are a fun genre. I remember playing through Golden Axe and Streets of Rage countless times as a kid. I just played through Capcom's Alien vs. Predator at the local arcade and it was pretty great; too bad there's no console port.

I think I'll make a serious go at beating Viewtiful Joe for Gamecube. I remember thinking it was super-cool looking but also having a hard time with it.
Part of me would like to also play through the D&D games on XBLA; I regret missing out on getting X-Men and The Simpsons when they were available. But I also ought to shrink my backlog so I might add a couple titles from Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. Or play Toxic Crusaders for Genesis for however long I can stand...
I'VE GOT CHOICES! That's a good thing!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 15, 2018 3:55 pm

Nemoide wrote:I think I'll make a serious go at beating Viewtiful Joe for Gamecube. I remember thinking it was super-cool looking but also having a hard time with it.

It's a great game, but it can be challenging for sure. I beat it on Adults difficulty years ago and that was quite the experience. Hmm, maybe I'll do the sequel or the DS entry for this TR.

Nemoide wrote:Part of me would like to also play through the D&D games on XBLA

I wholeheartedly recommend them. The Capcom D&D arcade beat 'em ups are outstanding. Especially multiplayer.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue May 15, 2018 4:15 pm

Beat em' Ups it is! Was hoping for something else but it seems like others are happy with this outcome.

I've played a lot of arcade beat em' ups but its been ages, I can't remember them all. The arcade Battletoads is pretty neat to check out, it's actually the easiest Battletoads by far and has blood/gore so it's a little edgier. Punisher, X-Men: The Arcade Game, Alien vs. Predator, are all pretty cool. All I can recall are these really basic ones. I think for Turltes in Time I prefer the SNES version. Have never beaten the original arcade TMNT (II) though. Final Fight Arcade is a good pick with lots of great ports now but for a cool obscure entry in the series, the NES Mighty Final Fight is really cool.

I beat The Ninja Warriors earlier this year and it's definitely amazing, just get ready for a brutal final boss. :shock:

Streets of Rage 2-3 are my favorites.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue May 15, 2018 6:03 pm

I also have a lot of experience with this genre, and I am old enough to have beaten a lot of these games in actual arcades. My very favorites are: Astro Boy Omega Factor, Aliens vs. Predator, Castle Crashers, Dungeons & Dragons, Guardian Heroes, River City Ransom, Streets of Rage 2, TMNT, and X-Men. I also really liked Double Dragon, Final Fight, and Golden Axe when they were released, but revisiting them has tarnished my memories a bit (even if, aestheticly, they still remain some of my favorites).

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Anyone grab the original Ninja Gaiden from the Wii VC before it shut down?

Oh, yeah! Maybe I’ll have to play through that!
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Tue May 15, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks for a bunch of suggestions guys! Really helps me out :)

And I kind of forgot that MAME could be an option. I have it set up on my computer already (although I've only used it to play Strider so far ha), so I shouldn't have to go through the hassle of setting it up again. I might check out some of the options on there, especially since I have little experience with Arcade games.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue May 15, 2018 6:42 pm

Beat 'em ups wasn't my preferred option, but I'm happy to join in!

I've got Alien Storm for Mega Drive ready to go, and I might look at picking up Guardian Heroes Advance too.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue May 15, 2018 6:44 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Anyone grab the original Ninja Gaiden from the Wii VC before it shut down?

I plan on giving it a go!

Kinda embarrassed to admit that I don't own the original Streets of Rage! My brother had it so that's how I played it growing up. May have to snag a copy, as I do enjoy it and it's been a long time. I do have the sequel and never liked the third one.

May give Golden Axe a chance in June as well. It's never gripped me and I've never been good at it, but this may be my chance to make some progress.

Oh yeah, and Guardian Heroes is begging for another playthrough. Absolute peak of the genre, if you ask me.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue May 15, 2018 6:46 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:

I plan on giving it a go!

Kinda embarrassed to admit that I don't own the original Streets of Rage! My brother had it so that's how I played it growing up. May have to snag a copy, as I do enjoy it and it's been a long time. I do have the sequel and never liked the third one.

May give Golden Axe a chance in June as well. It's never gripped me and I've never been good at it, but this may be my chance to make some progress.

Oh yeah, and Guardian Heroes is begging for another playthrough. Absolute peak of the genre, if you ask me.

If you can and haven't, give Bare Knuckle 3 a go. It's so much better than the butchered western release in terms of balance it's unreal. It's much, much closer to the quality of SOR2 in that format, even if it still doesn't quite live up to those lofty standards.
darsparx
Next-Gen

by darsparx Tue May 15, 2018 6:59 pm

Looks like I've got altered beast, comix zone, golden axe(both this and comix on psp collection), teenage mutant ninja turtles(gc), tmnt(also gc), and bouncer to go through. One of these days I'll track down more beat 'em ups. I have a distinct lack of them and shmups somehow. Might start with altered and maybe bouncer as well...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue May 15, 2018 7:20 pm

alienjesus wrote:If you can and haven't, give Bare Knuckle 3 a go. It's so much better than the butchered western release in terms of balance it's unreal. It's much, much closer to the quality of SOR2 in that format, even if it still doesn't quite live up to those lofty standards.

I've heard this -- unfortunately the game is rather pricey. Maybe someday!
Return to Together Retro