April's Together Retro Theme: Elkin's Eccentric Extravaganza

Join in on our classic gaming club!

What should April's Together Retro theme be?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:14 pm

90s RTS
27%
Army Men Anthology
7%
All Hail Neo Geo
28%
FMV Frenzy
28%
LET'S NEP 'EM ALL UP
10%

Total votes: 60

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: April's Together Retro Theme: Elkin's Eccentric Extravag

Post by alienjesus »

Neo Geo winning would be too predictable and boring imo! Lets get something more interesting on the radar!

I voted FMV and RTS for now!
marurun

Post by marurun »

I refuse to vote for anything other than Neo Geo because every other option is of no interest to me in the least. Like, not at all. At least with Neo Geo I could find something I'd be interested in taking the time to play.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

alienjesus wrote:Hello, I have questions. I posted these on Slack also but perhaps it's better here so people can see responses:

Q1: Does FMV games have to have the FMV BE the game? Like, could I play Wing Commander 3, or Shinobi Legions?

Q2: Does Neo Geo Pocket count for Neo Geo theme?

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Let's pay homage to the cringiest of cut-scenes, the most sinful of cinematics, and the most meager of movies from games in the 1990s. Most of us love them, and all of us love to hate them, they're full motion video games! There are a lot of games that count here, and there's a lot of wiggle room for what could count. In general, any game released between 1990 and 1999 and includes live-action full motion video cut scenes counts. It could be games like Corpse Killer that are almost entirely FMV or games like Resident Evil that only have a few. As long as it was released in the 1990s and has live action FMV scenes, it's fair game.

:)
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I have to admit, while not at all surprised in the slightest, I'm a little disappointed to see Nep and Army Men doing so poorly in the polls (although in fairness Nep isn't retro at all, so it's only in here because I'm me and shoehorned it in).

Gotta admit, though, it's nice having a month where I like all of the themes! :P
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

Post by marurun »

I have relented. I will throw some of you a bone.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

alienjesus wrote:Neo Geo winning would be too predictable and boring imo! Lets get something more interesting on the radar!

I voted FMV and RTS for now!

Same here.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I actually quite enjoyed the first two Nep games. But yeah... it's not a retro series by any means, so it didn't make much sense to me to vote for it.

@AJ/DSH: I would have voted for FMV and RTS, but No City Builders turned me off of RTS. :\
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

laurenhiya21 wrote:Voted for Neo Geo and Nep. Those just seem like the most interesting to me I guess ha.

I own no games for any of the categories. I'm not a big RTS fan, I don't own a Neo Geo or any modern system or outlining systems that have FMV games.

So, I voted for Neo Geo and Nep. Those seem the most interesting and I'd be curious to hear about people's reaction to them.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I have to admit, while not at all surprised in the slightest, I'm a little disappointed to see Nep and Army Men doing so poorly in the polls (although in fairness Nep isn't retro at all, so it's only in here because I'm me and shoehorned it in).

I voted Army Men mostly because you'd enjoy that vote.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Markies wrote:
laurenhiya21 wrote:I don't own a Neo Geo or any modern system

do you have a PS1 or Saturn or Dreamcast or PS2 or PSP or DS or Xbox or Sega CD? These all have Neo Geo ports. I mean technically you could get away with the many NG games that were ported to SNES, Genesis, Game Gear and Game Boy even. While I kind of agree that NG is that "safe choice," here, it's also safe because it'd be hard to NOT own a console that has ports of NG games on it.