Join in on our classic gaming club!
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Eighties' Ladies' Night

by Sload Soap Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:27 pm

Yeah, got Noah and he (she) has all the spells they can get. Wind and Thunder are good on bosses but use too much MP to be efficient in dungeons. I have this issue with a lot of JRPGs to be honest, especially earlier ones where characters are locked in set classes. It's not a major thing, it just means that unlike Myau, Noah spends most of the time whiffing attacks and just generally hanging out.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Sload Soap wrote:he (she)

:lol: Noah's androgynous nature strikes again. My cousin and I used to argue about Noah's gender when we were kids. But, Lutz/Noah has been confirmed as a dude.
"Lutz has an androgynous character design and thus was mistaken as being female for the US version of Phantasy Star. However, the brief animation of a shirtless Lutz awakening in Phantasy Star II, the updated PS2 animation, the official concept art and various other sources confirms that Lutz is indeed male." ( http://phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Lutz )

Anyway, looking forward to your overall consensus of the experience once you complete it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:11 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
Sload Soap wrote:magic seems a bit undervalued

PresidentLeever wrote:Metroid wasn't the first of its kind either.

Can you name some pre-Metroid games that have a closely similar design ethos? I'd be interested in that.

I did some research on this a while back, here's the list I came up with:
Major Havoc (ARC, 1983) - Rail Shooter hybrid. This is a maze platformer but has some relevant features like the mini-map, escaping bases on a time limit and the sci fi setting.

Pitfall II (Multi, 1984) - Falls short in the lack of permanent upgrades, but on the other hand it has save points of sorts in the optional checkpoints
Impossible Mission (C64, 1984) - Same here though it has a detailed map, scanning and some other interesting mechanics

Brain Breaker (Sharp X1, 1985) - Haven't played this one but it has breakable walls, two parallel planes and at one point you go into a super saiyan mode of sorts and can fly around and break new walls with your fists.

Hero Of The Golden Talisman (C64 etc, 1985)

Starquake (Multi, 1985) - Lets you teleport around the world (you type in the location to go to), there's a flight tool you can leave behind and pick up later, some breakable floors and an ammo-based platform building tool. One of the most interesting and polished of these early games.

Castle Quest (BBC Micro, 1985) - Has one upgrade in the scuba gear although it's a tool you leave behind as you can only carry one thing at a time (I think).
Dragon Slayer II: Xanadu (Multi, 1985) - ARPG with top down encounters on a separate screen

Bouken Roman (MSX, 1986)

The Sacred Armour of Antiriad/Rad Warrior (C64 etc, 1986) - The suit allows flight after you collect some parts for it and you can also remove it if you want (leaving it where you took it off)

Dan Dare (C64 etc, 1986) - Haven't played it yet, though it seems similar to Below the Root.
Saboteur (C64 etc, 1986)

Castle Excellent/Castlequest (MSX/NES, 1986) - Use blocks as platforms or to kill enemies, map feature, temporary tools (scuba gear to go through water, rainbow beam to gain invincibility, etc.)

Have you written a review for Below the Root?
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:36 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:*lots of interesting games*

First I want to thank you for that list, at some point when I have time I'll research them all. I'd heard of a few of them, but many were new to me. It's quite possible Metroid took various bits of inspiration from some of those sources.

Secondly, I don't see any games in your list that seem as similar to Metroid as Layla and Space Hunter are. That is to say a lone space heroine travels to remote alien planets, navigating maze-like environs via equipment upgrades, to destroy space bases and escape unharmed. That particular concept in and of itself seems unique to Metroid upon its release. And Metroid released before both Layla and Space Hunter, both of which mimic the exact thematic concept. That's why IMO Layla and Space Hunter are clearly aping Metroid particularly. Space Hunter really seemed like something a couple dudes could make in a week or two.

PresidentLeever wrote:Have you written a review for Below the Root?

I have played BtR quite a bit (on C64). Enough that I think it's extraordinarily impressive, unique, and forward thinking for its time. I have not completed BtR however, so no review as of yet.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:27 pm

Sure! Yeah, while Nintendo tends not to mention inspirations from other games, it would make sense and possibly even with western games considering that Wizardry and Ultima were influential for JRPGs.

No you're right, well, depending on how you're looking at it. Layla is very similar in theme and certain mechanics but the overall structure is linear and divided into levels, rather than it having an interconnected world you wander around in and sometimes backtrack to use a new item/upgrade and make progress. Space Hunter comes closer but seems to play more like Ducktales? Except for how you can exit a level at will.

A couple of other similar games that aren't in the same genre are Baraduke and Xain'd Sleena/Solar Warrior, the former being older and the latter slightly younger. Baraduke doesn't have the escape sequence but it has the gender reveal at the end. Xain'd Sleena has you playing a galactic bounty hunter traveling to various planets (there's a duck tales-like level select screen) and planting a bomb at the end of each level, then fighting enemies in a shoot 'em up segment as you escape in your ship although it's only in the final level that getting to your ship is a challenge. I think the hero is male here though.

Edit:
By the way, this is a very comprehensive list of games with a female protagonist only:
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/pro ... 900/so,1d/
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:07 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:By the way, this is a very comprehensive list of games with a female protagonist only:
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/pro ... 900/so,1d/

That is a killer link for this TR. Nice job. I'll have to add it to the OP.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:20 am

alright, so my cold is finally starting to break up enough that I'm not falling asleep right after dinner. So I was able to get back to Phantasy Star II last night. There's no denying the super grindy nature of this game. But I'm also playing it pretty safe as far as grinding for levels and mesata for new gear goes. At any rate, I now have Amy in party so we're 50% Ladies Night now. I've only got her to level 3 right now, and basically just keep her defending herself while the others try to boost her level. So, I'll probably be doing this for another hour or so before I can really continue on.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:50 am

Damn Valkyrie no Bouken is rough. A glance at YouTube footage confirms my suspicions. The game has about 45-60 minutes of "content" padded with hours of leveling up. Poor hit detection, tedious combat... it just isn't much fun. The game's a sunk cost at this point. I may finish it, but only because I started it. Or I may abandon it for awhile in favor of something else, or quit altogether. We'll see! Just wish I hadn't started the month off with this one...
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:48 pm

I started Metroid tonight.
I had played a bit of this before, but never made a really serious attempt at it and am not afraid to look at a walkthrough to guide my path! I was instantly drawn into this game. I got a bunch of powerups, got the hang of farming health to keep it up by the maximum, and have a general idea of some places I'd like to go in my next session!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Alight, I took a break from Valkyrie and played Otenba Becky no Daibouken (MSX). Also known as Tomboyish Becky's Large Adventure. This seems to be a "looper" so I just played until I went mad. I believe I've seen every level variation at least once. Will put in another session tomorrow, and then write a bit more for Games Beaten. It's a thoroughly unimpressive game, a neutered Load Runner, though probably not horrendous for '83 standards.
Return to Together Retro