Join in on our classic gaming club!
MrPopo

Re: Together Retro: Eighties' Ladies' Night

by MrPopo Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:27 pm

I would personally swap the cloth armor for a shield. As far as I could tell when I played through the game a few years ago, the weapon your casters wield is less important (other than any inherent stats they have) than making sure you keep using spells with them. The shield gives a big evade boost, which will also get your agility up.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:00 pm

Thanks, Ex, for doing an awesome job running this month. The bar has been set high! Someone lower it! ;)
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:17 pm

MrPopo wrote:I would personally swap the cloth armor for a shield. As far as I could tell when I played through the game a few years ago, the weapon your casters wield is less important (other than any inherent stats they have) than making sure you keep using spells with them. The shield gives a big evade boost, which will also get your agility up.

I saw that the Shield lowered their attack when Equipped.

Granted, they are spell casters, so I can't imagine it would matter a ton. But, at the very beginning, I was hesitant at lowering their attack.

Now, I think they are powerful enough where a shield would really help.

Thanks for the tip and I will be sure to buy two shields for them next time. If you have any other tips on the game, I would love to hear them! :D
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:58 pm

If I recall correctly, you either are considered to be two handing the weapons or you still get an unarmed attack; I don't remember which. In terms of other tips, Berserk is a great spell; it increases your damage per hit (but doesn't remove control of your character) so I recommend training it up, as well as Blink and Haste. The game is quite soloable thanks to the mechanics; getting extra hits and increasing your evasion goes a very long way. You'll probably find that damaging magic isn't as good; I'd keep my mages on the side of buffing and debuffing.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:48 pm

MrPopo wrote:If I recall correctly, you either are considered to be two handing the weapons or you still get an unarmed attack; I don't remember which. In terms of other tips, Berserk is a great spell; it increases your damage per hit (but doesn't remove control of your character) so I recommend training it up, as well as Blink and Haste. The game is quite soloable thanks to the mechanics; getting extra hits and increasing your evasion goes a very long way. You'll probably find that damaging magic isn't as good; I'd keep my mages on the side of buffing and debuffing.

I know if you unequip your weapons, you attack with your fists. But, I think you are two handing the weapons without anything else equipped.

Berserk doesn't loose control of your character? Oh, that is super nice! And I did use Blink/Haste on the PS1 version, so I know how well those attacks do when buffed.

I'll make sure to keep up to date on the game, especially in the RPG Progress thread. I'm not as scared as I was when I played through Final Fantasy V recently. I think this will be an enjoyable ride of a normally looked down classic.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:48 am

I'm a couple of days late here, but I just wanted to thank Exhuminator for an interesting topic and for being a fabulous curator thereof. Great month Ex!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:52 pm

Exhuminator wrote:i].

That's the final tally to the best of my knowledge. If I missed anything, let me know, and I'll fix it.

---

I played through Jenny of the Prairie.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:20 pm

dsheinem wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:i].

That's the final tally to the best of my knowledge. If I missed anything, let me know, and I'll fix it.

---

I played through Jenny of the Prairie.

OK, I updated the tally for posterity's sake.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun May 13, 2018 12:31 pm

Unfinished business is finished.

Final stats... um, did I miss several Attack power ups or are the drops randomized? I was really thorough and thought I explored everywhere.

Area 9's overhead stages were BRUTAL but I should have used those EE's. Overall, I used the Lightsaber for the second half basically and it tore through everything, was easy to cheese some bosses too getting up in their face and just tanking it. The eyeball boss with those huge strings that annihilated your health were the worst, along with two enemies later on in the overhead stages that shot long lasers that did the same chaos to your health (bouncing blue solider guys that look like Blaster Master's final boss).

Overall a great game, though wasn't totally in love with it like some others here. Glad to finish it off though.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun May 13, 2018 1:10 pm

I think you got all the Attack Ups. There's just not as many as the Shield powerups. I always wondered if I was missing some when I was younger, too.
Return to Together Retro