March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad ideas!

Join in on our classic gaming club!

See thread below for poll choice descriptions.

Poll ended at Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 am

All the Rest of Dragon Quest
11%
Classic '90s RTS
22%
Eighties' Ladies' Night
28%
Koei Klassics
11%
Premillennial Mech Madness
28%

Total votes: 72

BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad idea

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

For folks that haven't played it, maniac mansion can be played with a full female party. I highly recommend it if you haven't played it yet.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Good post, Ex.

I wanna add that the Urusei Yatsura game I showed earlier for Famicom is a reskinned Momoko 120%.

Also, The Quest of Ki is the sequel to The Return of Ishtar (parts 2 and 3 of the Tower of Druaga series).

There's also a Sukeban Deka III, released in '88! (Does a part one exist? Maybe part two is the first video game, and is considered a sequel to the anime?)

I love nerding out to this crap.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Another arcade suggestion: Burning Force, 1989 (Genesis port is 1990 not that it matters) play as Hiromi Tengenji.

Namco's answer to Space Harrier except you're a lady on a hover bike that transforms into a fighter.

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Drats, Jill of the Jungle is 1992.

EDIT: And Popful Mail's first version is 1991! :P
Last edited by Sarge on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Markies wrote:But, it has Maria as a main party member throughout the entire story. It's a Repro of the Famicon version, so I'm super excited to play it. I just have to get through some other games first.

In fact, a solo Maria game is quite viable, as it saves you time character building vs. trying to keep a full party up to snuff. That's what I did when I played through it at the end of '16.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Exhuminator wrote:NES
Athena (1986) (Play as Athena)

This game came up this year during GamesDoneQuick a month back or whenever it was and was kind of the biggest joke of the entire event. Even the speedrunners were making fun of how bad it was and their runs were just pure luck from moment to moment. The hit detection and glitches looked absolutely insane.

Looked worse than LJN material. :lol:
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Athena might be terrible, but there's a dumb part of my brain that kind of likes it.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm really forgiving when it comes to retro games, but Athena is utterly horrible. The sequel, Psycho Soldier, is a much better game overall but still pretty rough. Old SNK (before Neo Geo) arcade titles vary wildly in terms of quality.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Hmmmm, I think Aphrodite is the player-two version of Popolon in the old MSX version of Parodius. Perhaps I shall try that for next month's TR X3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

By the way, Dragon Quest II and III are fair game. Sadly, Dragon Quest IV just misses the cut, and has some great female protagonists (the hero can be one, and then you've got Alena, Mara, and Nara). Unless the jury says it can slip in there (February of 1990, folks!).

Well, depending on how picky we want to be, you start as the Prince of Midenhall in DQII. But you get the Princess of Moonbrooke pretty early, and she is a major part of the opening story as well as an indispensable portion of your team.