24%
Mizuguchi's Puzzles & Music
15%

Total votes: 68

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: February's Together Retro Themes: Poll Closed - FF Spin-

Post by dsheinem »

Omerta wrote:Any positive recommendations for either of the Theatrhythms? If so, I might have to track one down.

The most recent Theatrhythm is fantastic and easily one of my fave games for the system.

I may play World of Final Fantasy, and perhaps Mystic Quest.
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

I'm taking mental note of that one when I see it out and about.

Since it's not retro-ey enough yet, I have FF Tactics Advance coming.

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda excited about getting my SRPG on. It's been a while.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Omerta wrote:I'm taking mental note of that one when I see it out and about.

Since it's not retro-ey enough yet, I have FF Tactics Advance coming.

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda excited about getting my SRPG on. It's been a while.

Me too. I got Mystic Quest out, deleted the old game saves, and grinded the into forest up to level 5. A head start since I don't get to play games more than a couple times a month.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Omerta wrote:I'm taking mental note of that one when I see it out and about.

I've routinely seen World of Final Fantasy for ~$25 brand new, for both Vita and PS4. The game's cheap! (Also having released in 2016, WoFF is perfect TR material.)

Omerta wrote:FF Tactics Advance

I would be interested in seeing some fresh takes on this one. (I've never played it myself. I've read so many conflicting viewpoints in the past, I have no idea if I'd like it or not.)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

World of Final Fantasy - Initial release date: October 25, 2016

lol, if some of the monthly hosts of TR don't even want to play old stuff then I don't know what the spirit of the game club here is anymore. Hate to say it but the more things I see like this come up, I can see why others have argued for some kind of cut off before.

Anyways, somehow that game came up in conversation recently and my friend just said it was super forgettable. I considered playing it but it's looking like it would have just been some filler material and the boat has already left. There's better options for my time.

Looking forward to playing Mystic Quest in February and maybe others will tackle it too.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Xeogred wrote:World of Final Fantasy - Initial release date: October 25, 2016

lol, if some of the monthly hosts of TR don't even want to play old stuff then I don't know what the spirit of the game club here is anymore. Hate to say it but the more things I see like this come up, I can see why others have argued for some kind of cut off before.

Anyways, somehow that game came up in conversation recently and my friend just said it was super forgettable. I considered playing it but it's looking like it would have just been some filler material and the boat has already left. There's better options for my time.

Looking forward to playing Mystic Quest in February and maybe others will tackle it too.

Bah! A celebration of gaming with a retro focus should never exclude talk and enthusiasm for modern games. You can easily take a game like world of final fantasy and make comparisons to older titles, or talk about how their homage to its legacy plays out. It doesn't have to be old to have a connection to the old.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I will never not be confused by people calling Final Fantasy Mystic Quest just 'Mystic Quest'.

For those that don't know, Mystic Quest was the European name for Final Fantasy Adventure, a completely different spin-off in the series.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was called Mystic Quest Legend here.

I keep thinking people are going to be enjoying some Game Boy goodness when they're instead playing the SNES title.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:A celebration of gaming with a retro focus should never exclude talk and enthusiasm for modern games.

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Exhuminator wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:A celebration of gaming with a retro focus should never exclude talk and enthusiasm for modern games.

And that's fine for you. No one is forcing you to talk about modern games, but at no point should another person be denounced for wanting to do so.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Xeogred wrote:World of Final Fantasy - Initial release date: October 25, 2016

my opinion is that when we told people what they HAD to play, nobody showed up. Let everyone play what they want and see how the conversation goes. The more the merrier. Come as you are. Etc.

Kind of like what Bogus said, yeah it's a retro focused club or whatever but let's not get too arbitrary. Like Type-0 is 7 years old. Is that really "less retro" than stuff like Crisis Core when we get to brass tacks? These are games made for the same system just a few years apart and look pretty similar in screenshots y'know?

And at the end of the day, Type-0 is the game that I actually feel like playing. And this is supposed to be a fun hobby thing. But this is all just my opinion and as I've said from the beginning I just want to see more participation around here, so if it's preferred I can keep the Type-0 talk out of the thread if the overall opinion is that it's hurting the thread... Or I can spoil all my talk of Type-0 with a note that says "do not read until 2021." :lol: