Together Retro: Kings Quest V

Join in on our classic gaming club!
racketboy
Site Admin

Together Retro: Kings Quest V

Post by racketboy »

This month, we're featuring a classic point-and-click adventure that is available on the PC and NES: Kings Quest V
http://www.racketboy.com/together-retro ... gs-quest-v

Share your thoughts!
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Kings Quest V

Post by emwearz »

I loved this game back in the day (as I have with all KQ games, other than VIII) but you could not pay me to go through the dead end mine field that is this game again.

Save often boys.
HiSpec
8-bit

Post by HiSpec »

I also liked this game a lot when it came out, but found the dead-ends very frustrating when I tried to play it again recently. It certainly takes a lot of patience.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Is anyone actually playing this? I feel bad because I've not had the time to join in!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I beat King's Quest V back in 1991, I remember being entranced by it the whole time. I played the DOS VGA version, and the beautiful backdrops just blew me away. I also enjoyed the plot quite a bit. But you guys are right about the insta-death traps everywhere. Poor King Graham is gonna die, and die, and die again. However the player does get a real sense of going on an adventure in this one, thanks to continuously changing environs.

I didn't like the original box art:

But the reprint box art is fantastic:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

You might die a lot, but his scream never gets old.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Haven't been playing it either. It is a notable game for me though, as it was one of the first things my family got when we upgraded from an Apple II to a 386. At the time, CD-ROM editions and extravagant "multimedia kits" were popular, and the CD-ROM version of KQV was very common.

The cool thing about KQV is that it wound up being something that my mom actually got into, and she played through it with my brothers and I. She then went on to play KQVI and VII and a few other adventure titles. Additionally, it was our gateway to playing adventure games as a whole (I suspect the same was true for a lot of folks at the time).