Welcome to May! This month, we're digging into Tomb Raider
http://www.racketboy.com/together-retro ... omb-raider

Happy adventuring!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Tomb Raider

Post by alienjesus »

Is no-one playing this at all?

I'm sitting this month out because I finished Tomb Raider a few years back and I'm not feeling up for another play through right now, but it's an interesting title people should play for it's historical significance if nothing else!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Makes you wonder who voted for it? ...

I have to admit, I have a strange relationship with Tomb Raider. Even back in the day I wasn't too big on actually playing them and never gave them enough time to work out the crazy controls. But growing up I knew a lot of friends that had them and always had a lot fun watching friends play these actually. I think I played some of the first three across some demos as well.

I played some of the later PS2 era ones here and there, the reboot was awesome and I'm excited to get to Rise of the Tomb Raider next. So yeah... I have nothing to knock on the series and really appreciate its legacy, though I don't see myself going back to play the originals.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Xeogred wrote:Makes you wonder who voted for it? ...

some idiot.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I've been tempted from time to time to play through this. I might use it for a Summer Challenge game. I've only finished the Tomb Raider games from Legend onward.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I'm in a week long TG MAME tournament as of right now, but I plan to boot up Legend on the Gamecube again once that ends.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I might not be playing this this month, but I'd be up for chatting about it with someone who is. Someone start updating progress and I can reminisce about dying over and over, and how my girlfriend hated when your two pistol shots became desynchronised and the pop noises they made was uneven. The only game I can think of where she asked me to turn the sound off. :lol:
Speedy-Mcspeedz
16-bit

Post by Speedy-Mcspeedz »

I remember playing this when i was younger with my brother. Ive played 1,2,3, TR Rev, and legend- but ive never finished any of them. Im in though. It might be hard time wise as im playing Chrono Trigger also, but well worth it for nostalgia.
Cafeman
8-bit

Post by Cafeman »

I don't have time to replay any of the TR's this month, but I've played through TR, TR2, and over 50% of TR3 and TLR. Didn't like Chronicles and didn't play anything after that. But I did love TR and TR2 back in the day. Over this past winter, I replayed TR on my PS2 and completed it. It was again a fantastic experience, but ouch the jittery walls and their textures got on my nerves a few times - seeing it on a 42" screen just made that part even worse. Tomb Raider didn't seem as long to me as the it used to. I love the cinematics, Lara's voice, the gameplay and level design.

So after that I tried to replay TR2. But I got fed up with it in the sunken ship levels so I quit. Its also a good game compared to the first. I can remember how cool it was BITD to swim at the bottom of the ocean and escape great white sharks! Venice didn't take me as long to complete as it did years back, but the Opera was a bit of a chore for me. So once I got to all those under-the-sea levels, and I finally got to (I believe) the final part of those levels with the upside-down ship and the shed ... I had my fill of the game and put it away.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I would love if even when people can't participate or don't want to participate in a Together Retro game, they could pop in and discuss it at least. Let's start treating these threads as a conversation about the game. The more we talk about them, the more we can start fostering a community around the Together Retro games again.

On that note, am I the only one who found the T-Rex reveal a bit underwhelming? The game makes you fight raptors just before, which kinda spoils the surprise I think. The T-Rex shoulda been the big reveal, then the Raptors can show up in the smaller places when you start hiding from Rex. Then they're an extra nasty little surprise :lol: