Join in on our classic gaming club!
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Star Control II

by Violent By Design Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:41 am

Always wanted to play it, not that popular of a game, but the few who have played it rate it incredibly high
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:59 am

tips to get started? Stuff I should know so that I don't launch it blindly, get overwhelmed and quit forever?

I'm having trouble getting motivated to give this a shot because I'm not really sure what the game even is or how it plays or what it is that I'll need to be doing. And I'm so busy this month that 'wasting' brainpower trying to learn a new game is far less appealing than just playing something I already understand (did you know Rocket League has a Hockey mode that is awesome?).
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:08 pm

You should play it. It is basically the ultimate evolution of the Space War formula, and it is basically one of the very best PC games. It is incredibly easy to get sucked into it; it is easy to pick up; but it hides a surprising amount of depth. (Here's another article about how great it is.)

As you are undoubtedly aware, I am not a big PC gamer. I played this game at my friend's house a lot when I was younger, however, and I remember it very, very fondly. I regret that the 13-year-old version of myself never beat it, and when I acquire a better PC, Star Control II will be the first game that I install on it.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:19 pm

I think these Wiki Links are a better description for Space War:

Original start of Space War.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacewar!

Try the Cinematronics version emulated on Mame.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Wars

I liked the Star Control series back in the day. Did not get into the "Elite" style of strategy as much as the overhead laser blast fests, love the float in space physics. An easy install to DOS Box.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:26 pm

but but but can someone just like tell me how to play it? Spacewar! makes me think it'd be an arcade style game. But I've heard it has a lot of strategy/RPG stuff in it? Is it keyboard only? Do I need a controller? Honestly, I don't even know what kind of game it is I'm playing and I'm nervous that if it doesn't "make sense" to me within like 15 mins I just won't play it because I could just hit up Rocket League and Planet Coaster without using my brain too much.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:32 pm

noiseredux wrote:tips to get started? Stuff I should know so that I don't launch it blindly, get overwhelmed and quit forever?

http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Non-Spoiler_Hints

Your basic goal in the game is to gather resources and make allies so that you can take the war to the Ur-Quan and free your people. The specific ways you will accomplish that final goal will be revealed through conversation and exploration; get chatty with every ship you encounter, even if they are known to be hostile, as they can still reveal critical information.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:40 pm

noiseredux wrote:Spacewar! makes me think it'd be an arcade style game. But I've heard it has a lot of strategy/RPG stuff in it? Is it keyboard only? Do I need a controller?

It has a one-on-one duel mode where you can pit different types of space ships against each other in Spacewar!-style combat. (Honestly, this is the mode I played the most as a kid.) The "arcade" combat carries over to the campaign, but most of the campaign is focused on diplomacy, NPC-interaction, resource gathering, trading, etc. (You do get into fights every so often; so, it is good to have some experience with the "arcade" combat going into the campaign.) The game's "sandbox" universe, characters, backstory, lore, dialogue, etc. are all pretty great, and the game is overflowing with creativity. (Interestingly, it was developed by Toys for Bob, which later developed the thoroughly-charming Skylanders games my children love so much right now.) In 1992, it was awe-inspiring.

Also, I played it with a mouse and keyboard 20+ years ago, but I suspect that you can play modern versions with a controller. (People played the 3DO port with a controller.)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:52 pm

and just to be clear, there's no cars playing soccer, right?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:54 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Spacewar! makes me think it'd be an arcade style game. But I've heard it has a lot of strategy/RPG stuff in it? Is it keyboard only? Do I need a controller?
Also, I played it with a mouse and keyboard 20+ years ago, but I suspect that you can play modern versions with a controller. (People played the 3DO port with a controller.)

This is what is great about the PC version, the ease of integrating whatever control you want. Setup your favorite controller with JoyToKey to emulate the keyboard.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:06 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:This is what is great about the PC version, the ease of integrating whatever control you want. Setup your favorite controller with JoyToKey to emulate the keyboard.

you could say that about any PC game. I was asking what the default controls were... keyboard only? Mouse only? KB+M? That will help me decide if I play it on my main gaming PC, or laptop/tablet instead.
Return to Together Retro