Join in on our classic gaming club!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Alone in the Dark & Ghosts N Goblins

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:03 pm

ExedExes wrote:Completed Alone in the Dark

<High-Five!>

I also beat the game last night, but it sounds like you have a much higher opinion of it. I understand its importance to the survival horror genre, but it simply is not a game I can recommend to modern gamers. I appreciate its open-ended adventure game elements, but the controls are, as everyone has noted, just horrendous. Moreover, I did not find the setting that interesting; there is a lot of trial-and-error gameplay; you can very easily make the game unwinnable; and the combat was dreadful. (I almost quit during the sword fight with the pirate.) Also, the ending was incredibly corny and only barely more rewarding than Karnov's.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:06 pm

Congratulations!

That sword fight was the worst battle, I agree. Was I hitting or not? It was far easier using the guns for everything else, and running away helped too.

I forgot to mention some of the paths/camera angles were also cumbersome, it was very easy to get lost in the worm tunnels and even in the front hall of the house!

For its historical place, notable. In 1992, impressed a lot of gamers. Now, except for the historical significance, nothing but a relic.

It's a tough job, but Racketeers have to do it!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:06 pm

Played a bit of the DOS port of Ghosts N Goblins this weekend. I... really like it in spite of its shortcomings. The biggest for me is the old one-button joystick thing. you have to use Up to jump. Ugh. The one that most people hate is that it is single screens rather than scrolling, and this can be frustrating and also easier. See, the enemies spawn a few seconds after a new screen appears. So it can be frustrating if they spawn ON you. But easier if you just run like hell to the next screen. Honestly, I am enjoying this because it is probably the easiest version of GnG out there haha. I've never been good at this game, but I love it. So seeing myself make it to stage 4 is fun for me.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:10 pm

I played some Ghosts 'n Goblins myself this evening. On NES. I'm utterly terrible at it, though I have finished the arcade version before so I'll try to trudge through this port.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:38 am

hey kids, this is kind of related... check out this new game that just released on Steam called Cursed Castilla:

J T
Next-Gen

by J T Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:35 pm

Hm, I hadn't heard that Locomalito did an extended version of Maldita Castilla. That's cool. The one I posted a page back is free though.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:29 pm

Added to wishlist as soon as I saw it. :lol:
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:37 pm

Okay, I haven't been gaming too much this year but I want to play something spooky for Halloween and participate in TR, so I finally loaded up my Capcom Classics Collection v. 1 for Xbox and played Ghosts 'N Goblins!

UGH. I am not good at this game. I almost got to the end of level 2, and I think that's farther than I've ever gotten previously; JT's tip about waiting for a knife in the zombie area was helpful.
But I know I'm not even at the hard part of the game. My big issue is the mechanics. Arthur's movements always feel clunky and awkward. I'll climb a ladder and get stuck at the top. The jumps don't feel natural in any way. Little enemies that can go *just* over or under my attacks are a total pain. It's like my least favorite elements of Castlevania multiplied!
But I do want to like this game. I like horror stuff and classic arcade games in general. I know a lot of people HAVE reached the ending and I feel like the true ending is worth serious bragging rights.
But I'm sure I'll get frustrated and quit long before I even reach the fake-ending from going through the game once. We will see!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:49 pm

I just abandoned the NES port as I found it annoying, but I have beaten the arcade version (via a Capcom compilation) in the past. It took like four hours and there was some massive credit-feeding.

You just have to memorize your surroundings and inch ahead every time you play. Things don't get criminally insane until the vertical stages.

Mechanically, yeah, it's a chore to play. It's like the level design is third gen but the controls are stuck in the second gen, if that makes sense.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:51 pm

noiseredux wrote:Heads up - Ghosts'n Demons is a free fan remake of Ghosts N Goblins available on Itch.io:

https://bonusjz.itch.io/ghostsn-demons

yeah, thanks for this. playing a little throughout the week, i'm enjoying it more than the og even though i feel like banging my head at times. i'm stuck at the 2nd fire level part, the other option with the turtles just wipes me out. it took me like 2 days to figure out the dam castle boss shit pattern, only walk throughs are in french or some shit. so is the best weapon the cross, followed by the sheild/dagger? but anyway, thanks for the link. enjoy the game even though i'd like to hit something.
Return to Together Retro