Together Retro: Alone in the Dark & Ghosts N Goblins

Join in on our classic gaming club!
J T
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Alone in the Dark & Ghosts N Goblins

Post by J T »

Since noiseredux mentioned Ghosts n' Demons, I want to mention a different indie homage to Ghosts n' Goblins called Maldita Castilla. It's made by Locomalito, who makes a bunch of other fantastic retro-inspired indie games.

https://locomalito.com/maldita_castilla.php

I also wanted to add that the soundtrack to Super Ghouls n' Ghosts by the brilliant Mari Yamaguchi is one of the greatest game soundtracks of all time:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB ... r-_Awb2rvF
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Any thoughts on Ultimate GnG for PSP?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

TSTR wrote:Any thoughts on Ultimate GnG for PSP?

I didn't really care for it. I'm not all that big on those 2.5D games in general though.

So I realized that Ghosts N Demons is not really a remake remake. Meaning the level structure isn't that of the original. So I've got two options: Try to get my old Windows version of GnG running under 98 which means either waiting for my IDE optical drive to show up (expected 10/15) or installing a VM on my main gaming rig and hope it works on there.

Or actually I've got a third option as well: I could try playing the much lamented DOS port of the game, which could at least be interesting historically speaking.

Either way, I've had trouble finding the motivation to play Alone In The Dark. Ugh, those controls...
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:Either way, I've had trouble finding the motivation to play Alone In The Dark. Ugh, those controls...

Yep. I will probably beat it tonight, but it is rough to say the very least. Moreover, the iOS port is not very stable. Between the controls, the frequent crashing, and the trial-and-error gameplay, I simply cannot recommend it.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

TSTR wrote:Any thoughts on Ultimate GnG for PSP?

I've only played 2 games in the Ghosts n' Goblins series. Those 2 games are 'Super Ghouls n' Ghosts' which was a great time, and 'Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins' which was horrendous.

I found the game had a tendency to throw almost unavoidable stuff at you in a way Super didn't. The game allowed you take extra hits compared to the other games, but rather than a bid to make the gameplay more accessible, this mostly seemed to be to try and counteracty the utter level of bullshit on screen, and it didn't help.

In addition, the graphics were really ugly. I didn't like it at all. I sold it in the end.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Yep. I will probably beat it tonight, but it is rough to say the very least. Moreover, the iOS port is not very stable. Between the controls, the frequent crashing, and the trial-and-error gameplay, I simply cannot recommend it.

how long do you estimate it's taken you so far?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Yep. I will probably beat it tonight, but it is rough to say the very least. Moreover, the iOS port is not very stable. Between the controls, the frequent crashing, and the trial-and-error gameplay, I simply cannot recommend it.

how long do you estimate it's taken you so far?

Not too long - 3 hours maybe? - but I am shamelessly following a walkthrough to cut down the frustration. (The sword fight with the pirate is the worst, however, and I very seriously considered quitting last night.)
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Completed Alone in the Dark. I must have previously saved at the start at the final section. There was a series of wooden docks that fell if you didn't jump fast enough, as well as a maze that had 4 separate screens and was only lit by your lamp that got a little confusing. The final part and the ending was basically a "well, that's it" sorta thing, unfortunately. It was still fun to try what is the very first survival horror game.

Super GNG will be next.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Ack

Post by Ack »

You are doing God's work, Exed.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

I've tried to play AitD multiple times, and everytime i just get frustrated with the controls and the general look of the game. Might just have to move to later entries.