Together Retro: Daytona USA

Join in on our classic gaming club!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Daytona USA

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

dsheinem wrote:What do y'all consider the criteria for "beating" this one on each respective platform (PS3/360, PC, DC, SAT, Arcade, etc.)?

I rolled the credits in the DC version when I placed first on the 777 Speedway on the default settings. (That took quite a bit of practice, and IMO, the game was technically beaten at that point.) After that, I placed first on the 777 Speedway with the other cars, and I finished in the top 10 on all of the other tracks on the default settings. I also beat all of the best times for all of the tracks on the default settings. (Again, this took a lot of practice.) Based on my experience, placing first on those tracks on the default settings with the cars available at the beginning of the game is nearly impossible, and I called it at that point. (After Daytona USA, I moved on to Sega Rally Championship, which has much clearer "beaten" criteria.)
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Fun choice. I played the original on the Saturn at a friend's house way back in the day and seemingly never picked up the Dreamcast version. I must have had a burn of it at one time, really seem to recall playing it.

That said, I really liked the PS3 HD upgrade and will fire it back up.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I played the rest of the tracks on the DC version today.

Desert City (Falcon/MT/Soft Tire/20 cars)

National Park Speedway (Falcon/MT/Soft Tire/20 cars)

Circuit Pixie (Hornet/MT/Medium Tire/20 cars)

Rin Rin Rink (Falcon/MT/Soft Tire/20 cars)

Mermaid Lake (Falcon/MT/Soft Tire/20 cars)

Two other oddities I noticed on the Dinosaur Canyon track, one exclusive to this DC port and one that appears here and in the arcade:

This "Tide Table" sign on the final turn before the start/finish has a website underneath it: tabuchi.com/jumpei - according to the credits, Jumpei Tabuchi was one of the track designers. I found this out years ago and there was a little bit about him and his work, but the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine doesn't offer much more about it.

And of course, if you turned around and went up the tunnel in the arcade or here on the DC -
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I love the PS3 version -- anybody else have that or the 360 version?

I feel like I've gotten a lot better at the game, but have yet to get a first place on even Beginner :)

I'm still trying to master the drifting thing.... also I don't have a steering wheel....
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

I have the 360 version and have played it a bunch.

The drifting is quite technical in the game. There's a good guide on Rolling Start that explains it in depth, reading that helped me out a lot. If you're interested, read this post and the one following it. Then it's just practice, practice, practice.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ghegs wrote:I have the 360 version and have played it a bunch.

The drifting is quite technical in the game. There's a good guide on Rolling Start that explains it in depth, reading that helped me out a lot. If you're interested, read this post and the one following it. Then it's just practice, practice, practice.

Oh sweet! Thanks so much :)
Cafeman
8-bit

Post by Cafeman »

I'm a big Daytona USA fan. I can remember how astounding the coin-op version was in the early 90's! I've played all the Saturn versions and DC version quite a bit. For some reason I never bought the downloadable one for my x360 - I should do that soon.

I saw some discussion of Daytona CE in this thread; here is something I wrote not long ago comparing the USA CCE vs Japanese CE, if interested:
http://atariage.com/forums/blog/618/ent ... aytona-ce/