Together Retro: Call Of Duty & Medal Of Honor

Join in on our classic gaming club!
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Call Of Duty & Medal Of Honor

Post by TSTR »

Put a little time into the first CoD tonight. I died a lot. Can't just run around guns blazing, I learned rather quickly.
Ack

Post by Ack »

TSTR wrote:Put a little time into the first CoD tonight. I died a lot. Can't just run around guns blazing, I learned rather quickly.

Yeah, in the first Call of Duty, you'll want to favor a bit of caution since you're still relying on a health bar. Once you get beyond that first game though, you will be doing way more running and gunning. Regenerating health makes you a super soldier.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

What's the best way to get Call of Duty 1 these days? I don't see it digitally on GoG or Steam.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Stark wrote:What's the best way to get Call of Duty 1 these days? I don't see it digitally on GoG or Steam.

It is on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2620/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Stark wrote:What's the best way to get Call of Duty 1 these days? I don't see it digitally on GoG or Steam.

oh wow, I didn't even realize that. I have a physical copy I picked up at a yard sale.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Ack wrote:

It is on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2620/

Weird. If I type that into the search bar it doesn't come up.

EDIT: Wouldn't you know it, if you release 12 games in a series that each have 'Call of Duty' in the title, it's hard to find the one you're looking for. :lol: :roll:
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

For those of you playing the first CoD, make sure to try the United Offensive Expansion Pack!

I forgot to mention that MoH Infiltrator has cool albeit grainy war footage between missions. You even get to try stealth elements; I just found out today you can close-range attack the enemy, as to not sound any alarms. This game really has exceeded my expectations.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

Fun note, after Grey Matter studios made the Call of Duty expansion: United Offensive they became Treyarch.

Also, on Steam CoD1 and UO are $20 each ... The Deluxe edition on Amazon is $30, which includes the first game and united offensive, physically. Amazon also has the War Chest digital, which is currently $15, and that includes CoD1, UO, and CoD2 all for steam. That's a great deal.

Another tidbit of information, because why not, The collection term War Chest was originally used with the MOHAA expansion bundles. (Not to be confused with Blizzard's BattleChest collections) A few years later Activision was like, "eh screw it" and just copied the naming for all the PC WW2 CoD titles. Keep in mind if you walked down the PC aisle, these things were everywhere. And the usually sat all the "Chest" collections next to each other.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

So through this thread we learned original CoD developer Infinity Ward were the people from 2015 responsible for making MoHAA and then Gray Matter who did United Offensive became Treyarch. Both these series really have a lot in common!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

They really do. Arguably, EA pulled a Nintendo and were the progenitors of their own FPS relevancy downturn. All because they wanted to be stick in the muds about players never being without a gun.

I misspoke a little on the Gray Matter one. They didn't become Treyarch, they were absorbed into Treyarch.

Also, the studio that made Spearhead is the original Medal of Honor studio. They've made all the console versions, from 1 on the PS1 even up to Warfighter (They became Danger Close). It's kind of interesting that this studio 2015 gets contracted to make some WWII FPS on PC, and they arguably make the best one in the entire series to the point that the original studio can't even meet the standards they set. (Though today some of MOHAA's mechanics feel very archaic and I actually like the 2010 game ... even if its a little chunky)