Together Retro: Call Of Duty & Medal Of Honor

Join in on our classic gaming club!
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Call Of Duty & Medal Of Honor

Post by CFFJR »

I did pick up Call of Duty the other day, and I was able to spend some time with it tonight.

So far I'm really enjoying it. I've cleared several levels, most recently a very exciting and fast paced driving level. Each mission is pretty short, but I actually like that, as each one has switched things up and been unique.

Obviously I love having health pickups rather than regeneration. The game also keeps a brisk pace, rather than the plodding feel I've experienced in what little I've played of one of the newer games.

This has been a really pleasant surprise for me. :D I'm done for tonight, but I'm excited to get back to it.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

CFFJR wrote:This has been a really pleasant surprise for me.

If you've never played Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, you really ought to after you finish CoD. After those two you will have experienced the best WW2 FPS games ever made.

@Ack I didn't enjoy CoD2 as much as CoD1, but it has its moments. There's a hamburger hill inspired level that was really intense to survive through.

I also would like to chime in that MoH: Underground is very underrated by gamers (not critics of its day though) and largely completely forgotten. I'm not totally sure why Underground was ignored other than it has a female protagonist and came out late in the PS1's lifespan. But seriously, if you've not played Underground, give it a try. It's got a really good plot, and some impressively advanced mechanics for being an FPS on the PS1.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

CoD2 was all right on the PC. I also heard some not so pleasant things about the GBA version of MoH Underground so I'm staying away from that. I'm enjoying the 2 CoD/MoH games I'm playing now.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

ExedExes wrote:I also heard some not so pleasant things about the GBA version of MoH Underground so I'm staying away from that.

Definitely not talking about the GBA version of Underground, I was talking about this:

I installed Call of Duty 3 and 4 on my 360 today. I'll play those this month. I'll have to see what I've got for Medal of Honor games to play around here.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Well folks, Call of Duty 2 is surprisingly short. Really short. As in I'm already done with it. I was not expecting it to go by that quickly, but oh well. I will write up thoughts soon in the Games Beaten thread I suppose.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Exhuminator wrote:
CFFJR wrote:This has been a really pleasant surprise for me.

If you've never played Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, you really ought to after you finish CoD. After those two you will have experienced the best WW2 FPS games ever made.

I also would like to chime in that MoH: Underground is very underrated by gamers (not critics of its day though) and largely completely forgotten. I'm not totally sure why Underground was ignored other than it has a female protagonist and came out late in the PS1's lifespan. But seriously, if you've not played Underground, give it a try. It's got a really good plot, and some impressively advanced mechanics for being an FPS on the PS1.

I'll definitely check out Allied Assault at some point then. They have it and both expansions on gog, so that's convenient.

Funny you mention Underground, I discovered it the other day while poking around ebay for a copy of the first game and it caught my eye. Female protagonists are a selling point for me, and it looked as interesting in video as the original. Nice to hear a good endorsement for the game, as I intend to pick it up.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Just noticed something interesting didn't realize that the Medal of Honor reboot has Frontlines on disc on the PS3 that is pretty sweet might have to pick it up :). Honestly I liked the reboot and I've replayed my PC copy a couple of times.

Although I do have to say Warfighter is dog shit they tried to parrot CoD a bit to much that time and the addition of the shitty repetitive door breaching and etc. ruined it for me.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

CFFJR wrote:Funny you mention Underground, I discovered it the other day while poking around ebay for a copy of the first game and it caught my eye. Female protagonists are a selling point for me, and it looked as interesting in video as the original. Nice to hear a good endorsement for the game, as I intend to pick it up.

Underground is cool because you play a central role in the French underground resistance. Most of your missions focus on sabotage, reconnaissance, and delivering contraband. Very different experience than the first Medal of Honor, and in a good complimentary way. The AI is really impressive in it as well. I remember throwing a Molotov cocktail at a German soldier, and the dude caught it in the air, and chucked it back at me! Great game.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ack wrote:Well folks, Call of Duty 2 is surprisingly short. Really short. As in I'm already done with it. I was not expecting it to go by that quickly, but oh well. I will write up thoughts soon in the Games Beaten thread I suppose.

How short was it?
Ack

Post by Ack »

noiseredux wrote:
Ack wrote:Well folks, Call of Duty 2 is surprisingly short. Really short. As in I'm already done with it. I was not expecting it to go by that quickly, but oh well. I will write up thoughts soon in the Games Beaten thread I suppose.

How short was it?

HLTB lists it at 9 hours to play through. I did it in around 6-7 I'd say.