Join in on our classic gaming club!
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Puyo Puyo

by TSTR Sun May 08, 2016 5:31 am

haha beating MBM was what made me pull the trigger on starting to post here back in the day

thanks Puyo Puyo
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun May 08, 2016 6:02 am

So I sat down and played through Puyo Puyo CD yesterday, and beat it on Normal difficulty. They really should have just called the difficulties 'hard' and 'super hard'. I used a whole lot of continues

Having played Puyo Puyo CD, Mean Bean Machine and Kirby's Ghost Trap, I can say that Kirby definitely felt a little easier than the other 2. MBM and Puyo Puyo feel basically identical, but Kirby felt a little bit less difficult overall.

I'm not sure it was down to AI changes though - I think it was down to speed. Dr R's MBM and Puyo Puyo got so fast towards the end it was hard to keep up. I wonder if it's because I played the PAL version of Kirby's Ghost Trap though? The other 2 I played at full speed 60hz, but I'd be willing to bet Kirby wasn't optimized for PAL regions. EDIT: Wait, actually I played Kirby on the Retron, so it was probably at 60hz too.

I like Puyo Puyo a lot, but the difficulty curve is crazy inconsistent. The level I spent longest beating was stage 6 of 13. Stage 13 is actually notably easier than about 6 of the levels that precede it. I don't like that one big combo from the other side screws you over so bad that it can instantly make you lose. I've heard that Puyo Puyo Tsuu has a countering system and a delay on garbage blocks that make it a little fairer in this regard. I still need to play that though, so I guess I'll find out when I get to it.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Sun May 08, 2016 9:40 am

I beat Puyo Pop (NGPC) on it's easy mode. It has 3 stages with 3, 5 and 7 opponents respectively.

It's interesting that it uses voice samples on the NGPC but it felt odd that there was no music (unless I've somehow turned it off).

Some of the rounds felt kind of random and luck played it's part but I'm getting better at the tactics. I guess the key is to avoid single lines and stack up puyos for chain effects as this seems to hit the enemy hardest. There does seem to be a certain random element to it.

I'm going to investigate which versions of MBM I have on the 'Fun Gear' and 'Brain Games colour' licenced handhelds.

It would be interesting if they are both SMS and GG as I'd like to compare the two.

Is Puyo Puyo 2 for Wonderswan essentially the same game as Puyo Pop on the NGPC? I recall it looking nearly identical sans colour.
d123456
Next-Gen

by d123456 Sun May 08, 2016 5:39 pm

Puyo Puyo is such a great puzzle game, the first time I played it was the megadrive version emulated on the Dreamcast, haha. Played it alot.

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Puyo Puyo Tetris is great!

Most underrated Puyo game
Easily the best puzzle game on the PS3
Please do not miss out on this one. Also great for multiplayer, 4 players!
I use a cheap usb-to-ps2 controller adapter to accommodate for 4 players
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sun May 08, 2016 11:34 pm

Puyo Pop on GBA is almost like Mean Bean Machine. I'll be returning to that one shortly.

Puyo Pop FEVER on the other hand.... is something else. I can tell it was originally an arcade game; in terms of graphics and presentation, and having 3-puyo and even 4-puyo sets!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon May 09, 2016 8:57 am

so I did attempt to play Qwirks, however it appears to use that old DRM where it asks you a question before you can start the game. For instance "what is the pet Qwirk's name?" And my copy of the game is in a jewel case with a cover... but not a manual. Presumably the manual was bigger than jewel case sized, and this all came in a bigger box. Did some Googling, but couldn't find the answers. So... ugh. Guess I'll stick w/ Mean Bean Machine.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Mon May 09, 2016 11:02 am

If it helps any I found some names used in Qwirks possibly only for those copy protection questions off a dedicated Puyo forum:

Clear Qwirk/Nuicance Puyo = Olloy
Red Qwirk/Puyo = Scarlotta
Blue Qwirk/Puyo = Mundi
Green Qwirk/Puyo = Verdi
Yellow Qwirk/Puyo = Purtill
Purple Qwirk/Puyo = Hays

There's also a name "Cosmo" (which could be the pet Qwirk) and Bigelow.

As for the GBA Puyo, you play a set number of rounds against opponents in each area, then move to a new one. Fortunately, it saves after you clear each area. As far as I know, in Fever for each course you have to play them all the way through, it won't save any progress you make.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon May 09, 2016 11:06 am

dammit, nice Google-fu, Exed. I'll give it a try tonight. Thanks!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Mon May 09, 2016 5:43 pm

Not a problem. The original thread was here. They also had some pictures of the in-game help files.

I went back to MBM today. I'm stuck on Round 6 now with the "meals-on-wheels" opponent. I went some long rounds with him and still could not win, despite my best efforts. The game gets noticeably quicker at this point, sets drop faster right away and also go even faster after around 20 sets are dropped.

The best thing to do is make chains quickly, even a 1-chain will drop a nuisance puyo on their side. When faced with large sets of nuisance puyos, drop matching color sets above other colors that you already have down, them so when you do eventually clear them, they may set off larger chains.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Tue May 10, 2016 10:14 am

I had a go at the Game Gear version of Mean Bean Machine. It seems instantly way harder than the NGPC game. It's much harder to stack chains and the games seem much more difficult. Frequently an enemy almost full of beans would suddenly unleash a mega combo that decimated me as I was inches from victory.
Return to Together Retro