Together Retro: R-Type

Join in on our classic gaming club!
the7k
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: R-Type

Post by the7k »

extrarice wrote:
the7k wrote:Welp, just downloaded a Mame Rom of R-Type, and yeah, it's definitely NOT the game itself, R-Type itself is actually super responsive, I could immediately feel the difference and beat the first level first try while it took me like four game over screens to do the same on R-Types. It's definitely something going on with either the PS1 port, PS3's emulation of the PS1, or the PS3's handling of my controller.

Edit: Looks like going through Settings -> Game Settings and disabling the PS/PS2 Upscaler works. Guess I'll just have to deal with playing in widescreen. There's still some lag, not nearly as responsive as playing in MAME, but at least it's not unplayable now.

From what I understand, the interlace-to-progressive video conversion for HDTVs causes a delay, no matter what setting your PS3 is set at. If you are using the PS1 R-Types disc, playing it on a PS1/2* and a CRT tv will eliminate the delay.

*Note: There might be some graphical issues playing R-Types on a PS2, but that might be R-Type Delta I'm thinking about. Either way, the graphical issues aren't major.

Yeah, honestly after playing R-Types, it's pretty obvious all it is is just two roms and a digital encyclopedia on a disc. Like, there's even a coin-up button for playing R-Type and R-Type II.

So, I think I'm just gonna play R-Type and R-Type II on MAME.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I love R-Type. It is my favorite shmup. Is anyone playing Dimensions? IMO, it is the best way to play the game.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I love R-Type. It is my favorite shmup. Is anyone playing Dimensions? IMO, it is the best way to play the game.

I'm most likely going this route, gonna try the demo soon then decide if I wanna get this or the VC version.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I love R-Type. It is my favorite shmup. Is anyone playing Dimensions? IMO, it is the best way to play the game.

yup - that's my plan
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

dsheinem wrote:

yup - that's my plan

Awesome. It looks great, and the ability to switch between "old" and "new" graphics is pretty cool.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
dsheinem wrote:

yup - that's my plan

Awesome. It looks great, and the ability to switch between "old" and "new" graphics is pretty cool.

Anyone want to try the online co-op of the 360 version for this?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Need Game Genie so I can enjoy the cool levels in R-Type 1-2. :lol:

Forgot how brutal R-Type is. I can get to level 2 on both games!...
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Yeah, I was able to get past level 4 on R-Type and level 3 on R-Type II. It is super brutal, really punishing.

I do like that you at least get generous check points in the arcade versions. It's been a long time since I've played Super R-Type but apparently there weren't checkpoints there.

It's like if Hidetaka Miyazaki made a shmup. Slow paced, extremely brutal, very memory based, the most minor movements equal life or death, and the shield is too good.

(Mastering "The Force" and attaching and reattaching it rapidly and skillfully to take care of enemies in all directions feels so damn good when you can pull it off. I'll have to remember not to pick up so many speed power ups though.)
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I keep having runs killed because of a flickering unblockable bullet slamming into me when I don't notice it because of the aforementioned flickering.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

MrPopo wrote:I keep having runs killed because of a flickering unblockable bullet slamming into me when I don't notice it because of the aforementioned flickering.

I swear somebody on this board told me once that there's a way to defeat flickering in emulation.