Together Retro: R-Type

Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Together Retro: R-Type

Post by alienjesus »

I hope people don't mind me starting the thread again this month, but as it's the 4th, I figured we should get on with it!

Who plans to join in this month? Which version? Anyone got a lot of experience with this already?

I will be playing the Master System game and debating whether I prefer the PSG or FM soundtrack. Maybe Ill even try out the bonus SMS only stage, but I'd have to stop sucking so bad at R-Type to do so first!

http://www.racketboy.com/together-retro ... lub-r-type
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: R-Type

Post by Erik_Twice »

I've been playing the arcade version through MAME...it's tough! Really fun though. That said, it's the epitome of a memorizer, I don't think I actually get better at the game as much as I learn the stages :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'll be playing the SMS version. I've played it off and on as it's the last quick game on my NES/SMS and those are fun to try and get a run through before I go to bed.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Anyone want to break down the various versions and ports of the original?

I own Super R-Type, R-Types on the PS1 (think this might have the original? it's been awhile), and R-Type Final.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'll give the SMS port a spin.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

As this game is a cross-promotion with Shmup of The Month, feel free to post your scores over in our thread.

Ports as outlined from my research in December are as follows:

Computers/Tablets: Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum, MSX, PC-88, Amiga, Atari ST, X68000, iOS, Android

Consoles: Sega Master System, TurboGrafx-16, Game Boy, Playstation (R-Types), Game Boy Color, Virtual Console, XBLA, PSN

Super R-Type is NOT a port of the original R-Type, it has 4 stages from R-Type II and 3 original stages. Feel free to play it, but I'm just saying.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

ExedExes wrote:
Consoles: TurboGrafx-16, Game Boy Color

Some specifics:

There are actually 4 different R-Type games for PC Engine/Turbografx.

The Turbografx R-Type is a port of the game, nothing unusual.

R-Type I for PC Engine only contains the first four levels of the game. You need to buy R-Type II for the other 4 stages.

There is a PC Engine CD game called R-Type Complete which has all of the stages on one disc, with a new soundtrack and cutscenes added.

On the GBC port, R-Type DX is a compilation of R-type and it's sequel iirc?
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

My fingers are twitching to play r-type.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Hmm... I may jump in to this.

I would be playing the TG-16 version which was my first game for the system and the only version I own. Its pretty damn good port of the arcade.
Played the arcade version for the first time at Flynn's Arcade at Disney Cali Adventure park. I was pretty surprised how close of a port the TG version was compared to it.

I'm not too fond of Horizontal Shooters in general. But R-Type is something special. Not sure what it is. Music, visuals, novel mechanics for its time.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

R-type is one of the few SMS games I actually own, and I've been meaning to get into Super R-type since I got it in a bundle with Phalanx and EDF a good few months ago. I don't think I'll be going for score so much as surviving, but I could give it a shot :3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me