Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: OddWorld: Abe's Oddysee

by noiseredux Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:01 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:(oh god what have i become)

a realist?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:33 pm

He's asking for the banhammer.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:13 am

alright, I finally gave this game a try. I've been really sick the past few days, so last night I figured I'd load it up on my laptop while I was laying on the couch. I must admit the reason that I've never played this is that I hate the art direction. It's just not my style. But this is only $3 on Steam, so worth a shot. I only got to play for about a half-hour, as I was just too tired to really concentrate. But so far, I think it's a pretty neat game. It is certainly difficult. Playing with keyboard controls worked just fine after I remapped them to something that made sense to me. Though obviously I think it'd work better with a controller. My only really gripe is that when you die you're brought back to the first room of a section which can be tedious.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:20 am

I should be playing this right now just wrapping up a few games I'm in the middle of first. In other news they will be remaking Oddworld: Exodus next and they are looking for an updated name like what they did with New & Tastey!
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:01 pm

So, it took long enough, but I figured after spending like 3 years recommending this game for TR that I should actually play it!

So, tonight I started up Abe's Oddysee.

First thoughts - I kinda like this. Compared to earlier cinematic platformers like Prince of Persia or Flashback, this feels way, way more responsive.

The difficulty is pretty high, but it's resonably generous about restore points so far, so it's not so bad.

I finished up the first stage - Rupture Farms. There was a sign at the end saying there were 28 Mudokans in the level, so I went back and rescued them all before I moved on. It did mean the first level took me like 2 and a half hours though. That said, I have 28 of 99 rescued, so that seems like pretty good progress!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Dud Together Retro?

I got my PSX copy in, obviously won't make much progress in this month, if any. But I am definitely curious to see what I think going back to it. Definitely haven't played this one in ages. I agree with some comments and remember the difficulty being extremely crazy though, but I did beat this one. Not Exodus though.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:45 pm

Xeogred wrote:Dud Together Retro?

My biggest problem is having money and toooo many games this month. I do feel bad it's quiet, I'm still playing through Pitfall 3-D from last months TR. yikes!!
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:57 am

I played for two more hours last night. I finished the escape from the stock yard. The Monsaic Lines are easy-breezy by comparison to the rest of the game. I had the option to go to either Scrabania or Paramonia. I meant to choose Scrabania, but I accidentally chose Paramonia. Oh well, I can't seem to go back now. I guess the only way to go is forward.

I'm digging Oddworld a lot. I'm glad I played with you guys.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:06 am

samsonlonghair wrote:I played for two more hours last night. I finished the escape from the stock yard. The Monsaic Lines are easy-breezy by comparison to the rest of the game. I had the option to go to either Scrabania or Paramonia. I meant to choose Scrabania, but I accidentally chose Paramonia. Oh well, I can't seem to go back now. I guess the only way to go is forward.

I'm digging Oddworld a lot. I'm glad I played with you guys.

I finsihed up the other game I was playing, so although it's a bit late, I plan to jump back into this soon.

I've at the Stock Yards right now I think.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:51 pm

I know this month's over, but as I didn't get much time to play this last month, I'm still at it now.

I finished up the Stock Yards area tonight and arrived at the Monsaic Lines level. I've rescued 40/40 Mudokons so far (I'm using a guide to tell me how many I'm looking for, but not where they are).

I'm enjoying the puzzle design here - it's well crafted. I don't like when the game forces me to do quick platforming though - despite being smoother than most, I still don't think this cinematic platformer style is cut out for that kind of gameplay.

My biggest issue so far is the infrequent check points. With the fairly high difficulty of the game I've ended up having to do some parts 10 or 20 times and it incredibly frustrating to do so.
Return to Together Retro