Join in on our classic gaming club!
yaktaur
8-bit

Re: Together Retro: OddWorld: Abe's Oddysee

by yaktaur Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:54 am

Oops, yeah I meant Munch's Oddysee. Big blunder!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:05 am

I'm having a hard time installing this on my PC. Grumble Grumble.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Played for a little while. Love the environments. Not crazy about the character designs.

Think I'm gonna use joy2key or something for better controls.

Oh, and this game is hard as hell!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:52 am

I got Oddworld installed. I'm happy to report that the original installer disc from 1997 works great on Windows 7. No special workarounds or fixes are necessary.

My earlier problem was that I was trying to mount the disc image in winISO. The game wouldn't run as a virtual disc image. This was my own fault for trying to use a complicated solution to a simple problem. When I simply burned the image to CD, the game installed and ran fine. I guess there is still some use to an optical drive afterall.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:27 am

I meant to say this finally arrived for me the other day. The plan is to sit down wit it this weekend and see how it goes.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:30 am

samsonlonghair wrote:I got Oddworld installed. I'm happy to report that the original installer disc from 1997 works great on Windows 7. No special workarounds or fixes are necessary.

My earlier problem was that I was trying to mount the disc image in winISO. The game wouldn't run as a virtual disc image. This was my own fault for trying to use a complicated solution to a simple problem. When I simply burned the image to CD, the game installed and ran fine. I guess there is still some use to an optical drive afterall.

I still use my optical drive(s) plenty! Yeah.

I don't know, there's kind of a cool feeling to installing tangible stuff like Mega Man X or Puzzle Fighter in DOSBox rather than just downloading an ISO.

ANYWAY, now that I've beaten XCOM 2 I can focus on *something* else. So I should be able to give Oddworld a go this week.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:54 pm

Ordered a PSX copy of the first.

You guys know it's on the PSX too right? :lol:
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:00 pm

I know it's on PSX; I'm playing PC for nostalgia's sake. This is how I played Oddworld when I was thirteen. I never beat it then. Now maybe I'll get the chance.

I like the keyboard numpad for the sounds. I may try an xbox one controller at some point just to see if I like it better.
noiseredux wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:I got Oddworld installed. I'm happy to report that the original installer disc from 1997 works great on Windows 7. No special workarounds or fixes are necessary.

I still use my optical drive(s) plenty! Yeah.

I don't know, there's kind of a cool feeling to installing tangible stuff like Mega Man X or Puzzle Fighter in DOSBox rather than just downloading an ISO.

So... You're playing a tangible disc in a virtual machine? Ironic.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:42 pm

I am a complicated man.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:12 pm

Xeogred wrote:Ordered a PSX copy of the first.

You guys know it's on the PSX too right? :lol:

Easier (and cheaper) to just buy a digital copy than to find a listing on eBay, bid, and then hope it arrives in a timely manner and in decent shape.

(oh god what have i become)
Return to Together Retro