Together Retro: OddWorld: Abe's Oddysee

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: OddWorld: Abe's Oddysee

Post by noiseredux »

yaktaur wrote:I played this game on the Xbox back when it was new, I actually liked it quite a bit though I never finished it (If I remember it gets pretty hard eventually). I wouldn't mind playing it again to get some of the atmosphere, I wonder if my computer can handle it!

unless your computer is an abacus, it should!

Supported OS: A 100% Windows 2000/XP-compatible computer system (only)
Processor: 166 MHz Pentium processor (200 MHz recommended)
Memory: 16 MB (32 MB or higher recommended)
Direct X: 6
Sound: 100% Soundblaster compatible
Hard Drive: 700 MB Free
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I suspect that he was referring to one of the sequels, Munch's Oddysee or Stranger's Wrath.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright so I realized that if I sit down at my PC, I fire up Heroes Of The Storm or XCOM 2 and completely forget that Oddworld exists.

What's the control situation? Can it be played reasonably with keyboard and a trackpad? I'm thinking the only way I'll end up giving this any attention is if I throw it on my laptop and make it my weekend morning coffee & TV game...
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

noiseredux wrote:alright so I realized that if I sit down at my PC, I fire up Heroes Of The Storm or XCOM 2 and completely forget that Oddworld exists.

What's the control situation? Can it be played reasonably with keyboard and a trackpad? I'm thinking the only way I'll end up giving this any attention is if I throw it on my laptop and make it my weekend morning coffee & TV game...

This first time I played Oddworld, it was on a keyboard. Trackpad is not necessary. Controller is not necessary.

A numpad, on the other hand, will be helpful in a few sections of the game. it doesn't come up much, but there's a couple simon-style memory games wherein one character makes a series of sounds, and Abe has to repeat that series of sounds back. The sound keys are mapped to 123456789. For this reason, it's easier to use the numpad, but not impossible without one.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

no number pad on my laptop. This is the Alienware I have:

I specifically chose it for its small size. It's an 11 inch screen, and yet it's rather capable.

Anyway, I digress. Sounds like Oddworld might make a good couch laptop game so I'll try to remember to install it there soon.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

You'll be good dude. You can use the 123456789 keys along the top row of the keyboard when you get to that part of the game. A numpad is handy, but not necessary.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

I think this will be my winding down for bed game this month, pretty booked for me with gaming. Got to put sometime into The Division, Senran Kagura comes out next week, picking up Nitroplus Blasterz later today and Trackmania Turbo later this month. Also been addicted to GunScape atm, which I just published a level for DM/TDM/CTF called GoldenScape Jungle it's a remake from Goldeneye Jungle MP on Wii. Second time I remade this map first time was on Far Cry 2 years ago!
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Still waiting for my copy to arrive. It's actually late at this point, but I'm waiting on some other post so I think my postman is having trouble entering our building.

Hopefully can get it soon.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Started this a few days ago. Got as far as Scarabania. Just going for a regular run, not looking to 100% save all the mudokons. I like it a lot but it is also quite a frustrating game. Lots of instant deaths, trial and error stuff, etc. Abe is a one of gaming's best protagonists though; very ugly but still cute and personable. And possessing sligs and going on a rampage is always funny.

This is one of those games that I know well by osmosis but never really played myself. As kids, my brother's and I only had a PS1 and we did that thing where we'd watch as someone else played. So I did Tekken and Metal Gear, one brother did Resident Evil and Crash Bandicoot while the other was an Oddworld and Final Fantasy guy. Goes without saying, he is much better than me at this.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Well put there are times in this game where you wanna quit and never come back, that trial and error bs. All in all worth a shot to those curious, the humor and charming aspects are worth the experience no matter how far you make it.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.