Join in on our classic gaming club!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:05 pm

I started this up in iOS as well. (I tried the Xbox version, but this will be much easier for me to complete on my iPad.) I am a cool-looking male soldier with an awesome, very "Star Wars" name (i.e., Tarm Tankaari). When I asked him, my 4-yea-old son told me I should do good things, but despite his sweet, innocent advice, I think I am going to take this game dark side all the way... :twisted:
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:51 pm

I'm slowly moving along here, I'm in the Undercity now. I've noticed some graphical glitches in this area, as I move around, vertical black lines appear. It feels like it's one large barcode :lol:. It probably has something to do with the integrated video on this laptop.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:54 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:Many robot looking men have died to my long sword in my journey to get out of the tutorial area.

I'm finding some of the stylistic choices in this game to be interesting from a historical perspective. The prequel trilogy really had a certain look and feel to it, and I think due to it's place in time KotOR really took a lot of stylistic inspiration from the prequels (i.e. the shiny robot men, the look and feel of Taris, the sleek looking swoop bikes, etc.) I don't mind it too much, but it does date the aesthetics a bit, especially in light of the new movie which worships at the stylistic alter of the OT.

OTOH, the Ebon Hawk could have easily appeared in the OT and no one would have batted an eye. And on that subject, does anyone else really dig the Ebon Hawk? Sure it's a bit of a "me too" stand-in for the Millennium Falcon (right down to the derivative name), but I think it's super neat design, and it's presence serves to bring some of that old school grime into the shiny environs of the game. In truth I think it's one of the coolest pieces of design in the entire game (although I will say there's no shortage of really interesting ship designs all the way through).

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I am a cool-looking male soldier with an awesome, very "Star Wars" name (i.e., Tarm Tankaari).

Oh man that's awesome! I've been meaning to ask about everyone's "Star Wars names". I'm running a light side Scout/Sentinel named Halcyon Bravo (which could just as easily double as a Transformers name, but hey, what cha' gonna do right?). I'm curious to hear other Star Wars names!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:05 pm

Got my Xbox copy in so I've dived into it, I'm totally cool with the combat and gameplay. But story wise it's definitely a slow start as I've heard over the years. :lol:

Looking forward to it evolving though. I'm watching The Clone Wars now too. Safe to say The Force Awakens has resparked my Star Wars love and I plan to make this a good year of Star Wars overdose. :lol:
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:39 pm

Xeogred wrote:Got my Xbox copy in so I've dived into it, I'm totally cool with the combat and gameplay. But story wise it's definitely a slow start as I've heard over the years. :lol:

Looking forward to it evolving though.

The story is definitely a bit of a slow burner, but stick with it! I really think the story is probably the highlight of the game in this case. A great example letting of letting the story unfold slowly and at its own pace. In some ways this story might be better than some of the prequels (no small feat, I know :mrgreen:) since everything isn't quite as telegraphed in advance.

Xeogred wrote:I'm watching The Clone Wars now too. Safe to say The Force Awakens has resparked my Star Wars love and I plan to make this a good year of Star Wars overdose. :lol:

Ha, yeah I've been going on a huge Star Wars rampage as well, and in the same way. I had only watched the first season of The Clone Wars so I figured that would be a good place to start catching up on some of what I missed. Star Wars: Rebels ain't half bad either (IMO and YMMV)! Heck after watching the Force Awakens, even my wife wants to watch the Original Trilogy again, and she's not particularly a fan.

Since we have people just starting the game I'll spoiler a quick observation here.

HK-47
Totally one of the greatest characters ever right?! He's kind of the "other star" of the game ... and yet. Hmm. So with story driven games like this which present good and evil paths, I feel like there's a lot more of an actual role-playing element involved. In some ways this helps with immersion into the game, and ultimately makes for a more enjoyable experience (for me at any rate). But therein lies the rub. As much as I love keeping HK-47 on as a constant companion (both for his awesome ranged support and (primarily) his humorous dialog), I don't see it as particularly plausible that a light side Jedi would constantly be tooling around with a bloodthirsty, trigger-happy droid. And that sort of breaks the immersion. And that makes me sad. Sigh ... walking on the side of the light truly is fraught with temptation on all sides. Adventure, excitement, witty "meat-bag" quips; a Jedi craves not these things.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:17 pm

Man Luke was right, if there's a bright shiny center of this game, Tatooine is the planet that it's farthest from. I love that from an atmospheric standpoint the developers made it feel vast, empty and desolate, but the problem is that from a gaming standpoint it also feels vast, desolate, and empty. The lackluster set of side quests doesn't necessarily help in this capacity either (I mean on Tatooine there are certainly no sordid tales of lonely widows gettin' it on with suicidal droids :lol:). There is one noteworthy exception to boring side quest problem on Tatooine though and that's the sand people (although this may in fact be a required quest - I've never tried to bypass it). Lord knows I tried to be diplomatic with those bloodthirsty bastards (thanks to HK-47 who despite my previous comments was surprisingly helpful in seeking a light side resolution to this quest), but in the end their aggressive tendencies proved to be their downfall. They didn't like me laying hands on their stuff, and foolishly decided to attack. Hey, I was just defending myself here ... at first. :twisted: And ya know what? Anakin was right. It is fun slaughtering an entire village of sand people. :twisted: Thankfully there were no explicit dark side points acquired from this temporary slip into madness, anger, and hate (but there probably should have TBH). At any rate I'll be exceedingly happy to put this decrepit sand pit in the rear view mirror of the Ebon Hawk (as soon as I score myself one of the best lightsaber crystals in the game :wink:).

So how do you guys feel about swoop racing? It's one of the mechanics in this game that seems notably unfinished. A few characters will make allusions to purchasing upgrades to your swoop bike, but AFAIK this is not actually a feature included in the finished product (Google confirms this). TBH I don't think it's a huge loss. The swoop bike racing is fun for about 5 minutes or so, but then becomes sort of tedious and considerably less fun. I think it could have been something interesting and potentially deep, but as it is it feels a bit bolted on. I'm only completing the races explicitly required by quests and not touching it again. Purely IMO. So what do you guys think? Swoop racing yay or nay?
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:45 pm

Swoop racing was poorly done. You could screw yourself over by doing too good the first time. It actually gets used in KOTOR 2 as I recall; I believe there was a swoop race you could do on various planets for cash.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:36 pm

Is Carth the Kaiden of KOTOR?
Flake

by Flake Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:59 pm

Xeogred wrote:Is Carth the Kaiden of KOTOR?

In that he is annoying, I treat him like crap, and deliberately ignore his development or equipment needs and send him out to die on a regular basis?

Yep.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:27 pm

So I am almost 100% light side now... while the powers and such is great, I am really getting tired of solving long drawn out side quests (currently the court drama on Manann).

These long bouts of taking and guestures of kindness is distracting me from the main story. I want to skip them, but feel that if I do I will be under powered later in the game.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Return to Together Retro