Together Retro: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Post by Michi »

I started up the Xbox version last night. Took longer than intended to get started because a couple of my controllers were giving me grief (both the Halo and see-through blue one. Michi is sad :( )

After that I only played long enough to get my bearings, so I only finished off the tutorial level and then wandered around the apartment complex a bit. I hope to get into more of the meat of the game tonight.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Any chance someone here has a Steam copy of this from the Star Wars humble bundle that ran a year or so ago? I'd be happy to trade for something...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I tried the free Android version from Amazon, but it needs nearly 3GB to install and has to be internal memory, not an SD card. So no dice even on my nice new phablet. You can't choose to install on external storage.

Bummed cuz I thought this would be a cool portable game. I have this on Steam, but so far I've not had the time to start it up...
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

For those of you that are using the Steam version, I found this guide to be extremely helpful. It might even be helpful with the GOG and disc install versions as well, but I can definitely vouch for it's efficacy on the Steam version. The primary drive for the guide is updating the game to display on modern resolutions, but it also has some proposed fixes for game crashes and whatnot. I wasn't experiencing any crashing issues, but it helped me get the game displaying nicely at 1920X1080, so that's a plus.

The Flawless Widescreen software endorsed by the guide is kinda-sorta wonky (if you don't leave Flawless Widescreen running you might have to restart the game a couple of times before it "recognizes" the higher resolution), but it does work. At any rate, hopefully this proves helpful to someone.

So enough tech details, let's talk about this game! What character builds are you guys thinking about? After a couple different re-starts, I've decided to go with a plain old vanilla Soldier/Guardian build. It's been quite a few years since I played the game, so I just took it back to basics. I started a dark side Scoundrel/Consular build, but I had forgotten that I'm not a huge fan of playing dark side in this game. It's cool and all, but it sort of funnels you into a play mode where you have to be ULTIMATE EVIL(!) in order to score dark side points whereas the Light Side path feels a bit more natural and flowing. I think the Dark Side should be more nuanced and manipulative rather than, "Hay I'ma gonna butcher ERRYONE! ... hur" Or maybe it's just that the game wants you to play dark side as Chaotic Evil, when I would prefer to play it as Lawful Evil. At any rate, long story short I'm sticking with my Light Side Soldier/Guardian at this point. I'm currently making my way into the lower sections of Taris, and smashing some swoop gang skulls.

How about for you guys?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I started playing tonight - made a Scout with wisdom as the highest trait and aim to be ULTIMATE LIGHT SIDE GOODY-TWO-SHOES. Being the biggest possible jerk in the universe doesn't sit right with me, even in a game-world.

I played this game back when I was in high school (or maybe college?) and enjoyed it greatly BUT my Xbox died and when I sent it to be repaired, I got a whole new replacement with a clean harddrive, meaning my save was gone. I never had the heart to re-start despite getting EXTREMELY CLOSE to the ending. Oh well, it's a fun game so I 100% expect to ACTUALLY BEAT IT this time around.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

DAMMIT!!! I just had my first (and hopefully last) corrupted save file for this game. I was in the middle of saving when my game crashed. I had been using a single slot for the majority of Taris, and the autosave had likewise pooped out on me at that moment. I lost somewhere in the ballpark of 6 hours playtime. That's not an insurmountable amount of time, but it sure does sting. Let this be a lesson (and it's totally one that you'd think I would have learned by now, but), UTILIZE MULTIPLE SAVE SLOTS in this game! I'm done for tonight.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

nullPointer wrote:DAMMIT!!! I just had my first (and hopefully last) corrupted save file for this game. I was in the middle of saving when my game crashed. I had been using a single slot for the majority of Taris, and the autosave had likewise pooped out on me at that moment. I lost somewhere in the ballpark of 6 hours playtime. That's not an insurmountable amount of time, but it sure does sting. Let this be a lesson (and it's totally one that you'd think I would have learned by now, but), UTILIZE MULTIPLE SAVE SLOTS in this game! I'm done for tonight.

Same thing happened to me on my first KOTOR playthrough back in the day. This was the game that started my habit of using a new slot every time I save.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Seeing as I already had this game with the awesome GOG bundle sales when they came out last year, I've been playing it the past few days. Now, I had my reservations on this game, just like I did when Baldur's Gate was a Bioware RPG we played in January a few years ago :lol: I never really played many WRPGs, and I warmed up to BG pretty quick, and I can say that KOTOR is also bringing the same experience. The learning curve isn't nearly as steep as I'd thought it would be. But man, those CONVERSATIONS. It's reminding me a lot of Deus Ex at this point. But I like to see successful persuasions!

Right now I'm building up credits and XP with the cantina duels. Twitch is one difficult match for sure.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

well my new phone just got the Marshmallow update, which means I can adopt external storage as internal. So if I get a chance to pick up a huge microSD card soon enough, I might actually get to play this game portably as I had hoped.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I have the android version, Noise. It's good! Plays just like the original version did.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328