Together Retro 2016: Harvest Moon or a Fighting game

Join in on our classic gaming club!

Harvest Moon or a Fighting Game

Harvest Moon: Back to Nature/Friends of Mineral Town/More Friends of Mineral Town/Boy & Girl/Bokujō Monogatari Harvest Moon for Girl (PS1, PSP, PSN, GBA)
47%
A Fighting Game (to be determined)
53%

Total votes: 19

Ack

Together Retro 2016: Harvest Moon or a Fighting game

Post by Ack »

There has been back and forth discussion about whether we should play a Harvest Moon or we should remove it in favor of a Fighting game since that genre is currently not represented. This poll is to enable people to vote on the topic.

These are the options:

Harvest Moon: Back to Nature/Friends of Mineral Town/More Friends of Mineral Town/Boy & Girl/Bokujō Monogatari Harvest Moon for Girl: This represents the entire line of Harvest Moon: Back to Nature games and the various remakes of it that have appeared over the years.
A Fighting Game: This is a vote to remove Harvest Moon from consideration this year and to put in a fighting game instead to ensure that this genre is represented. If this option succeeds, we will allow input and suggestions for a fighting game.

Possibilities for a fighting game being debated include: Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 3rd Strike, Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Fighter 5, World Heroes, Weaponlord. Entries from previously played series include KOF2002 and Fatal Fury.

This poll will be open for 7 days, from October 14, 2015, to October 21, 2015.

The Poll is closed. Our winner is a Fighting Game instead of Harvest Moon.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro 2016: Harvest Moon or a Fighting game

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I am sticking with harvest moon, because of the games history. The ps1 title is the least gimmicky and offers a great amount of detail and depth to what makes harvest moon likeable. It is the perfect example of the series. This is also saying a lot because I am a big fighting game fan.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Virtua Fighter
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Vote submitted!

(Virtua Fighter 2)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Sticking with Harvest Moon.

We play a lot of the same genres every year. Harvest Moon is a unique game that doesn't easily fit in a genre (but would most closely classify as a sim game, a genre we've barely covered in the past).

I want Together Retro to cover a broad variety of games. If that means we lose out on a fighter, RPG, shmup or platformer on some years, so be it.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Voted Harvest Moon. I'm confident about it, and I believe folks might surprise themselves by enjoying it if given a chance.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Despite some of my comments elsewhere, I do like the idea of Harvest Moon as a TR title. Having said that, I also voted for the inclusion of both KOTOR and Pokemon, and I think throwing Harvest Moon into that mix might be a bit much in terms of the number of "long form" RPG-ish titles for a single year. So I voted for a fighting game. I was never much into Virtua Fighter (maybe I could learn!), but possibly one of the Tekkens?
Lazer
64-bit

Post by Lazer »

Harvest moon. Fighting games scare me.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I think this really goes to a fundamental question of what you, the gamer, want from your game.

Those of us who want a challenge measured across milliseconds wherein we pit our reflexes against an artificial intelligence or against our friends' reflexes choose the fighting game.

Those of you who want to pass the time with repetitive tasks while cutesy characters play out a contrived story inside of a farming simulation choose Harvest Moon.

Choose wisely, my friends.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

As much as I like a lot of the Harvest Moon games, I had to vote for a fighting game since I find Back to Nature a bit... meh.

It just feels like there's a lack of stuff to do in the game, so it gets very repetitive very quickly. Plus I find the characters to be pretty dull and the lack of story doesn't help much either. So honestly I don't really see why this one is considered the classic :/

Of course that might just be me and my weird tastes, but there's my two cents.