Join in on our classic gaming club!
darsparx
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro 2016 Calendar - FINAL

by darsparx Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:20 am

I know bone shocks me more every day too :lol: i'd love to do imports for the n64 but only if I someday get my hands on that retrode2 n64 plugin so i can play with patches...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:23 am

Ack wrote:I also greatly enjoy my N64. I even collected every fighting game for it.

Yeah all 7 of them.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:25 am

After I got the N64 in 1997, I hated it with a passion. (Indirectly almost got me to quit playing games) But in the last five years the machine has really grown on me and I quite enjoy its library.
Ack

by Ack Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:41 am

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
Ack wrote:I also greatly enjoy my N64. I even collected every fighting game for it.

Yeah all 7 of them.

Actually...

Killer Instinct Gold
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Mortal Kombat 4
Flying Dragon
Clayfighter 63 1/3
Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut
Mace: The Dark Ages
Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.
Super Smash Bros
Fighter's Destiny
Fighter's Destiny 2
Dark Rift
Tom and Jerry: Fists of Furry
Xena: Warrior Princess - Talisman of Fate
Transformers: Beast Wars Transmetals
Powerpuff Girls: Chemical X-traction
Deadly Arts
Duel Heroes
War Gods

IMPORTS:

Rakuga Kids
S.D. Hiryu no Ken Densetsu
Super Robot Spirits
Custom Robo
Custom Robo V2
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
darsparx
Next-Gen

by darsparx Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:44 am

Ack wrote:Transformers: Beast Wars Transmetals
Powerpuff Girls: Chemical X-traction

Wait...what? I need these now XD
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:07 am

I vaguely remember enjoying Dark Rift when I rented it once. Was it actually good or did I just not know any better?
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:43 am

It's...OK. Mediocre in my opinion and very limited in what you can do.

As for the Powerpuff game, it is like a bad Power Stone knock off. And the Transformers game also doesn't fare particularly well.

The saddest game in my opinion is Tom and Jerry. If health bars had been half their size and the game was four player, it would have been genius. But as it stands now, it is a chore to play.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:27 am

Really, why do I feel like I loved Tom and Jerry and it actually did feel like Power Stone 2 lite? Am I thinking of the GCN version?

Rakuga Kids and Beast Wars were my favorites at the time. But both feel very slow and unrefined now. Rakuga has almost a 1/4 second delay from button input to action - it's hard to play.

Dual Heroes is in my top 10 worst games list all time. I don't actually have a list. If I did though, it's the only game that would be on it 100%.

I have soft spots for Bio-Freaks, KI Gold and Dark Rift.

I have both the Fighters Destiny games but have 0 memories of them - I should try them again.
Ack

by Ack Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:37 pm

Fists of Furry does feel like Power Stone lite. But unfortunately due to the size of the health bars, fights tend to drag on too long and don't have nearly the speed of Power Stone matches. As a result playing through the main story feels more like an endurance match for the player. Also it's the N64, and a four-player Power Stone clone would have totally killed on that console. It was a missed opportunity.

Rakuga Kids does have a slight delay, but unfortunately is also one of the only real 2D fighters available. It's also an import for us, so most folks will never get a chance to try it. It's unfortunate, but...oh well.

The Fighter's Destiny series is a unique approach to a fighting game. It approaches the genre like a point-style karate tournament, where winning is based not on depleting the opponent's life bar but on scoring points by connecting hits. Think high-level Tae Kwon Do matches.

Yeah, Duel Heroes is pretty bad. I can't find much about it worth defending. Deadly Arts is also roundly criticized, though it at least attempted a build-an-AI-fighter mode pretty early on.

Dark Rift is ok, but it's also really early, so 3D fighting techniques were limited. It's better than some of the other test cases on the console(ie. War Gods), but I find it too stiff. Bio-F.R.E.A.K.S. is crazy, and KI Gold is KI Gold. It's one of the best fighters on the console in my opinion.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:46 pm

Flying Dragon son.
Return to Together Retro